When to Apply
There are two annual intakes for the RSIS PhD Programme – January and July.
- To be considered for the January intake, submit your application online from 01 May to 31 August.
- To be considered for the August intake, submit your application online from 01 September to 30 November.
- A Bachelor Degree (2:1 or higher degree classification, or equivalent)
- Masters degree in a related discipline
- The ability to undertake independent research in the proposed field
- Well articulated PhD proposal
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to tailor their research proposals to fit into one of the three PhD programme specialisations on offer at RSIS, namely International Political Economy, International Relations or Strategic Studies
- The proposal should be between 5 to 6 pages long. It should include a projected timetable at the end to indicate how the candidate plans to write the thesis from year 1 to year 4
- Applicants are also advised to identify RSIS faculty members whom they wish to have as their primary supervisors, prior to submitting their application. Detailed faculty profiles are available here
- Demonstrated competency in English
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination)
- All applicants must submit a GRE score, there are no exemptions
- We do not provide candidates with a minimum score required
- Essays, references and resume
The Admission Committee will consider the following in making their decision:
- Past academic record
- PhD research proposal
- Writing ability
- Relevant work experience
- Other factors
Presently, the School admits all students as probationary research students. At the end of the first year, students must demonstrate that their research proposals are worthy of PhD confirmation.
Important Notes to Applicants
Please read the instructions below carefully before completing the application form:
- Applications for the PhD Programme are to be submitted entirely online. Applicants must complete the online application form and attach scanned copies of all required supporting documents as listed in the ‘How to Apply’ section below. Please note that incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Before submission of the online application form applicants should thoroughly check the information entered as no changes will be allowed post-submission.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to tailor their Research Proposals to fit into one of the three PhD programme specialisations on offer at RSIS, namely International Political Economy, International Relations or Strategic Studies. Applicants are also advised to identify faculty members whom they would wish to have as their primary supervisor. Detailed faculty profiles are available here: http://www.rsis.edu.sg/gpo/gpo-staff-profiles/
- Supporting documents, if not in English, must be accompanied by scanned certified copies translated in English.
- Two references from academic referees are required as part of the application. Applicants must provide the name and contact details of their referees as part of the online application and the University will contact them to request their reference reports. Please ensure that you referees have agreed to provide a reference before you submit your application and provide their work/university contact email not their personal email (e.g. Gmail or Yahoo). Please note that applications will not be forwarded to Schools for processing until both references have been received.
- Please take note of your application number as it is required for any enquires.
- Successful candidates who are offered admission must produce their original degree certificates and transcripts when they matriculate.
Last updated on 18/08/2021