Following links control the content below
Eugene Tan is an Associate Research Fellow specialising in cyberspace security issues, Singapore’s foreign policy, and aviation issues.
Eugene holds a Masters of International Studies and a Postgraduate Diploma in Arts (Politics) from the University of Otago, and a Bachelor of Arts from the National University of Singapore.
He previously taught various international relations and comparative politics modules, including International Politics of Southeast Asia, European Politics, South Asia Politics and Singapore’s Foreign Policy, at the National University of Singapore, Department of Political Science. Eugene reserves a keen interest in aviation issues and state behaviour in international affairs, stemming from his research done for his Masters and PGDipArts theses. Currently, Eugene is working on research projects covering cybersecurity and state behaviour in cyberspace.
Areas of Expertise
- State behaviour in International issues
- Aviation Issues
- Singapore Foreign Policy
SolarWinds & Cyber Diplomacy: The Missing Piece
03 March, 2021
Australia Under Cyber Attack: Dissecting Canberra’s Response
15 July, 2020
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Cyber Attacks on Healthcare Systems: Infrastructure Protection Critical
22 May, 2020
Global Health Security - COVID-19: What Changes – and What Doesn’t
17 April, 2020
Cyber Cooperation for ASEAN: Smoother Ride on Track II?
27 November, 2018
CO18166 | Evolving Nature of Cyber Conflict
11 October, 2018
CO17184 | The Challenge of Getting Responsible Behaviour in Cyberspace
06 October, 2017
CO17026 | Clickbait: Fake News and Role of the State
09 February, 2017
CO17009 | Fight in Cyberspace: The State Strikes Back
10 January, 2017
CO16184 | Checkpoint or Chokepoint: Aviation Security Lessons from Istanbul and Brussels
19 July, 2016
CO16051 | Enhancing Aviation Security: Using Smart Security and TOPSIS
02 March, 2016
CO15187 | Cybersecurity in Civil Aviation: Need for Industry-wide Approach
01 September, 2015
C015176 | China’s New Cyber Security Policy: An Exercise in Control
20 August, 2015
CO15096 | The Iran Nuclear Deal: Containment or Appeasement?
21 April, 2015
CO15078 | The Germanwings Tragedy: Time for Three-Person Rule?
02 April, 2015
RSIS Webinar Series on "DRUMS: Distortions, Rumours, Untruths, Misinformation & Smears"
08 April, 2021
IP22052 | Bytes from Ukraine: Cyber Warfare and Cyber Tantrums
26 September, 2022
IP21017 | The Potential and Way Forward for Greater Regional Cybersecurity Cooperation
15 November, 2021
Commemorative / Event Reports
- “A Small State Perspective on the Evolving Nature of Cyber Conflict: Lessons from Singapore” in PRISM , 8, 3, 2020
Chapters in Edited Books
- “Cyber Norms and International Law in ASEAN” in Gisela Elsner and Aishwarya Natarajan, Regulating the Cyberspace: Perspectives from Asia. Singapore: Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, 2020, 15
- “Next Steps for ASEAN Cyber Norms” in Fitriani, Christian Pareira and Naufal Armia Arifin, Towards a Resilient Regional Cyber Security: Perspectives and Challenges in Southeast Asia. Jakarta, Indonesia: Centre for Strategic and International Studies, 2019, pp. 201-211
- Trainer, Workshop on “ASEAN Norms Implementation Checklist”, 22-23 March 2022.
- Co-presenter (with Benjamin Ang), NATO CCDCOE Symposium on Non-Western Approaches to International Law and Cyber Operations, 14 December 2021.
- Presenter, NADI Workshop on “Emerging Technologies and its Impacts on Defence and Security” 29-30 September 2021.
- Panel Speaker, Southeast Asia Internet Governance Forum on “Cyber Norms Operationalisation in ASEAN”, 2 September 2021.
- Speaker, US-Singapore Cyber&Tech Security Virtual Series on “Indo-Pacific Perspectives on the Application of International Laws and Norms in Cyberspace” by Pacific Forum, 18 December 2020.
- Speaker, 2020 Conference on Cyber Norms on “Development of Cyber Norms and International Law in ASEAN” by the Hague Programme for Cyber Norms, 10 November 2020.
- Speaker (with Benjamin Ang), Honolulu International Forum on “Cybersecurity and Data Privacy in the Time of COVID-19: Perspectives from Singapore” by Pacific Forum, 15 May 2020.
- Subject Expert, “Responsible State Behaviour in Cyberspace: A Training Programme for Philippine Officials by Australian Strategic Policy Institute”, 4-6 February 2020 (Manila, The Philippines).
- Participant, UN Open-ended Working Group Inter-Sessional informal Consultation Session, 2-4 December 2019 (New York, USA).
- Participant, CSCAP 2nd Study Group on “International Law and Cyberspace” by ISIS Malaysia, 10-11 November 2019 (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia).
- Speaker, Regional Workshop on Norms of Responsible State Behaviour on “ASEAN and Cyber Norms: Opportunities for Consultation, Coordination, and Engagements” by Australian Strategic Policy Institute and ISIS Malaysia, 10-12 June 2019 (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia).
- Participant, “EU Civil Society Cyber Forum” by EUISS EU Cyber Direct Project, 15-16 April 2019 (Brussels, Belgium).
- Participant, CSCAP 1st Study Group on “International Law and Cyberspace” by RSIS, Singapore, 26-27 February 2019.
- Speaker, ASEAN Public Seminar and Track Two Meeting on “The Next Steps for ASEAN Cyber Norms” by Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) Jakarta, 31 January 2019 (Jakarta, Indonesia).
- Speaker, Network of ASEAN Defence Institutes (NADI) Workshop on ASEAN Defence Cooperation in order to Control Transnational Crimes in Southeast Asia on “Cybercrime”, 27-30 August 2018 (Bogor, Indonesia).
- Speaker, Network of ASEAN Defence Institutes (NADI) Workshop on ASEAN Cooperation in Cyber Capacity Building on “ASEAN Cyber Capacity Building”, 8-11 May 2018 (Ayutthaya, Thailand).
- Speaker, Practitioners’ Workshop on Cybersecurity on “Cyber Deterrence and Singapore”by Asia Foundation, 19-20 April 2018.
- Speaker, Roundtable on Practical Futures for Cyber Confidence Building Measures in the ASEAN region, 15 March 2018 (Sydney, Australia).
Last updated on 04/04/2022