Following links control the content below
Mr P S Suryanarayana is Adjunct Senior Fellow with the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore, since September 2020. Earlier, he was Visiting Senior Fellow at the RSIS for 25 months and, before that, Editor (Current Affairs) at the Institute of South Asian Studies (ISAS), National University of Singapore (NUS) for six years.
He is the author of three books: The Elusive Tipping Point: China-India Ties for a New Order (World Scientific, Singapore, 2021); Smart Diplomacy: Exploring China-India Synergy (World Century, USA, 2016); and The Peace Trap: An Indo-Sri Lankan Political Crisis (Affiliated East West Press, India, 1988).
Originally, as foreign correspondent of India’s English-language daily, The Hindu, he served successively in Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and the Asia-Pacific region (with Singapore as his base and by travelling widely across the region). He has interviewed national leaders and diplomats of South Asian and East Asian countries including China, Japan, ASEAN (including Singapore), Australia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and others. Reporting from conflict zones, he also interviewed several top militant leaders. His journalistic assignments included the coverage of civil wars in Sri Lanka and Afghanistan; political unrest in Pakistan, ‘East Timor’ and Fiji; and the US-led ‘Desert Storm’ in the Gulf, at different times.
Suryanarayana was a delegate at the launch of Belt and Road Forum (BRF) by Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing in 2017, and a participant at the Beijing Xiangshan Forum in 2019. He has also attended the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore for a number of years. He holds Master of Arts (University of Madras, India, 1971), and he participated in a four-week-long ‘Media Seminar’ on America’s foreign policy at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy in the US in 1992.
Areas of Expertise
- Indian Foreign Policy
- India-China Relations (including BRI)
- India’s ‘Act East Policy’
- India and its Neighbourhood (Pakistan, Sri Lanka)
- India, Major Powers and Multilateralism
New Era Under Xi Jinping: Challenges for India
14 November, 2022
Smart Powering India-Singapore Ties
18 October, 2022
Invasion of Ukraine - Xi’s ‘Balance of Interest Solution’: Pre-empting an Asian NATO?
31 March, 2022
Biden’s Indo-Pacific Strategy - Reality Check for India’s China Policy
18 March, 2022
India’s Quest for Multipolarity
20 December, 2021
India’s Afghan and AUKUS Dilemmas
11 October, 2021
Global Health Security COVID-19 and Its Impact - India’s Vaccine Ambition: How Far Can It Go?
06 July, 2021
India’s China Policy: Strategic Shift or a Drift?
13 April, 2021
The Biden Presidency - Potential China-India Dilemma?
23 December, 2020
China-India Border Crisis: Can a New CBM Avert War?
02 November, 2020
Sino-Indian Face-Off: ‘Mutual Security’?
18 June, 2020
Xiangshan Forum - China’s Quest for Stability: Images and Realities
12 November, 2019
Xi-Modi Summit: Testing Their Political Will?
17 October, 2019
India’s Kashmir Move: More Than Meets the Eye?
16 August, 2019
Modi’s Two-Front Diplomacy: An Opportunity Ahead?
13 June, 2019
Belt & Road Initiative - Geopolitical Moves: China’s BRI Signals To India?
07 May, 2019
India-Pakistan Crisis: A New International Factor
06 March, 2019
Sri Lanka: An Ideological Power Struggle
22 January, 2019
‘New Way’ to Manage Sino-Indian Engagement?
10 January, 2019
Are Big Powers Pivoting towards India?
12 December, 2018
India Acts East, Looks West
03 December, 2018
CO18165 | China-India-US Triangle Shaping Up?
10 October, 2018
CO18137 | India-China: Forging ‘Development Partnership’?
16 August, 2018
CO18113 | China-India Engagement: Towards A New-Normal?
03 July, 2018
CO18095 | India’s Strategy of Connectivity and Autonomy
11 June, 2018
- The Elusive Tipping Point: China–India Ties for a New Order. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, 2021
- Smart Diplomacy: Exploring China-India Synergy. : World Scientific Publishing, 2016
- Suryanarayana, P S. The Peace Trap: An Indo-Sri Lankan Political Crisis, New Delhi and Chennai, India: Affiliated East-West Press, 1988.
- “China–India Rivalry: The Saga of Game Changers” in East Asian Policy, Vol. 13, No. 2, 2021, pp. 5-18
- “Window of ‘Opportunity’ in India-China Diplomacy, Border Affairs, July-September 2019” in Border Affairs, Vol. 20, No. 4, 2019, pp. 10-14
- “Sino-Indian Ties: Beyond a Symphony of Sentiments” in Border Affairs, Vol. 20, No. 2, 2019, pp. 7-10
- “The Growing US Factor in India’s Ties with China” in Border Affairs, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2018, pp. 4-7
Chapters in Edited Books
- Suryanarayana, P S. “The Pakistan Challenge: Modi’s ‘China Card’” in ‘Modi and the World: (Re)Constructing Indian Foreign Policy’, edited by Sinderpal Singh, Singapore: World Scientific, 2017.
- Suryanarayana, P S. ‘India’s Place and ASEAN’s Primacy in the New East Asia’ in ‘ASEAN matters! Reflecting on the Association of Southeast Asian Nations’, edited by Lee Yoong Yoong, Singapore: World Scientific, 2011.
- Suryanarayana, P S. “Indian Ocean and the Bay of Bengal: A Strategic Factor in China-South Asia Relations”, ISAS Working Paper No. 248, Institute of South Asian Studies, National University of Singapore, 12 December 2016.
- “India’s stand on Taiwan crisis: Rebalancing ties with China”, Think China, 29 August 2022
- “India’s choice: Pro-US, pro-China or stay autonomous?”, Think China, 16 June 2022
- “Lessons from Russia-Ukraine war: The UN of 1945 must be reformed”, ThinK China, 14 April 2022
- “Overcoming Power Imbalances and Policy Clashes: The Quest for a Peaceful China-India Future”, ThinkChina, 20 December 2021
- “A Pause at the Brink?”, China-India Brief, 31 March 2021
- “India’s new Kashmir policy challenges Pakistan and China”, East Asia Forum, 25 September 2019
- “The ‘softer’ side of Asia’s giants”, East Asia Forum, 20 February 2019
- “Why this Flurry of Smiles in China-India Ties?”, China-India Brief, 16 August 2018
Last updated on 03/11/2021