Following links control the content below
P S Suryanarayana is a Visiting Senior Fellow in the South Asia Programme at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. Before joining RSIS, he was Editor (Current Affairs) at the Institute of South Asian Studies (ISAS), National University of Singapore. His work focuses on India-China relations and Indian foreign policy. His recent single-authored book is titled Smart Diplomacy: Exploring China-India Synergy (Hackensack, NJ, USA: World Century Publishing Corporation; Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, 2016) and merited a positive review in Pacific Affairs (March 2018).
A journalist-turned researcher, Suryanarayana served as foreign correspondent of the Indian daily The Hindu in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the Asia-Pacific region while based in Singapore. He interviewed prime ministers and several key political personalities across South, Southeast and Northeast Asia. Besides scoring a number of diplomatic news-break stories and covering the US-led ‘Desert Storm’ against Iraq and civil wars in Sri Lanka and Afghanistan, he also interviewed many militant leaders while reporting from areas of conflict. He was a delegate at China’s high-profile Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation in Beijing in May 2017, besides being a delegate for several years at the ‘Shangri-La Dialogue’ in Singapore.
Suryanarayana obtained his Master’s degree from University of Madras (India) and participated in a four-week-long media seminar at Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy (USA) in 1992.
Areas of Expertise
- Indian Foreign Policy
- India-China Relations (including BRI)
- India’s ‘Act East Policy’
- India and its Neighbourhood (Pakistan, Sri Lanka)
- India, Major Powers and Multilateralism
‘New Way’ to Manage Sino-Indian Engagement?
10 January, 2019
Are Big Powers Pivoting towards India?
12 December, 2018
India Acts East, Looks West
03 December, 2018
CO18165 | China-India-US Triangle Shaping Up?
10 October, 2018
CO18137 | India-China: Forging ‘Development Partnership’?
16 August, 2018
CO18113 | China-India Engagement: Towards A New-Normal?
03 July, 2018
CO18095 | India’s Strategy of Connectivity and Autonomy
11 June, 2018
- Suryanarayana, P S. Smart Diplomacy: Exploring China-India Synergy. Hackensack, NJ, USA: World Century, 2016.
- Suryanarayana, P S. The Peace Trap: An Indo-Sri Lankan Political Crisis, New Delhi and Chennai, India: Affiliated East-West Press, 1988.
- Suryanarayana, P S. “The Pakistan Challenge: Modi’s ‘China Card’” in ‘Modi and the World: (Re)Constructing Indian Foreign Policy’, edited by Sinderpal Singh, Singapore: World Scientific, 2017.
- Suryanarayana, P S. ‘India’s Place and ASEAN’s Primacy in the New East Asia’ in ‘ASEAN matters! Reflecting on the Association of Southeast Asian Nations’, edited by Lee Yoong Yoong, Singapore: World Scientific, 2011.
- P. S. Suryanarayana. "The Growing US Factor in India's Ties with China," Border Affairs 20:1, Oct-Dec 2018, pp. 4-7.
- P S Suryanarayana, "Why this Flurry of Smiles in China-India Ties?" China-India Brief #122, Centre on Asia and Globalisation, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, Singapore, August 16, 2018.
Last updated on 03/07/2018