Following links control the content below
Nah Liang Tuang is a Research Fellow with the Military Studies Programme at the Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies (IDSS). He has also taught at the Command and Staff College, SAF Advanced School and Officer Cadet School at SAFTI Military Institute, and actively lectures at the SAF Warrant Officers School. In addition, he serves on the peer review board of the North Korean Review (NKR), a journal of Yonsei University’s School of International Studies, Republic of Korea. Liang Tuang completed his doctoral studies in International Relations at RSIS in 2015. His research specialities include nuclear weapons politics, nuclear non-proliferation, North Korean affairs and nationalism’s role in state defence. Liang Tuang’s articles, commentaries and op-eds have been published in the NKR, The Diplomat, East Asia Forum and Korea Times, amongst others.
Areas of Expertise
- Politics and Strategy of Nuclear Armament and Disarmament
- North Korean Politics
- Non-Traditional Security
- Non-Traditional Security Emergency Planner, Housing Development Board, 2000-2004
US Presidential Election 2020 - North Korea: Instability under Biden?
12 November, 2020
CO18164 | Korean Rapprochement: Analysing The Third North-South Summit
08 October, 2018
CO17198 | Nuclearised Northeast Asia: Why Including Japan, South Korea May Work
23 October, 2017
CO17147 | North Korea’s ICBMs: What Now?
04 August, 2017
CO16193 | China and North Korea’s Missiles: Having the Cake and Eating It?
27 July, 2016
CO16136 | North Korea’s Musudan Missile: An Evolving Threat
06 June, 2016
CO13174 | The Enemy of My Enemy: Perils of Training Syrian Rebels
24 September, 2013
CO12222 | North Korea: Is It Really a Serious Threat
07 December, 2012
CO12117 | Stopping Iranian Nuclear Proliferation: Sanctions or Inducements?
05 July, 2012
CO12071 | Pyongyang’s Information Age Missile Diplomacy
23 April, 2012
CO12040 | Iran’s Purported Nuclear Ambitions: Commercial Sanctions Counter-productive
12 March, 2012
CO11095 | Framing Cyber Warfare: Between Offence and Defence
28 June, 2011
CO11052 | Urban Search and Rescue: Boosting Intra-ASEAN Self Help
04 April, 2011
- Nah, Liang Tuang. “Explaining North Korean Nuclear Weapons Motivations: Constructivism, Liberalism and Realism”, North Korean Review, 9(1), Spring 2013, pp. 61-82.
- Nah, Liang Tuang. “The Case for Japanese National Security Independence: A Possible Future Imperative”, Journal of Defense Studies and Resource Management, 1(2), 2012.
Chapters in Edited Books
- Nah, Liang Tuang. “Urban Search and Rescue: Boosting Intra-Asean Self-Help in Chpater 1 – Climate Change and Natural Disasters” in Yang Razali Kassim (ed.), Strategic Currents: Issues in Human Security in Asia. S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, 2011.
- “North Korea’s dwindling relations with Southeast Asia”, East Asia Forum, 24 April 2021
- “The Strategic Impact of Indonesian KF-21s”, The Diplomat, 16 April 2021
- “The Tactical Implications of North Korea’s Military Modernization”, The Diplomat, 27 January 2021
- “Challenging Pyongyang’s Propaganda Discourse”, North Korean Review Online, 1 January 2021
- “How Will North Korea Greet the Biden Administration?”, The Diplomat, 10 November 2020
- “Short-term nuclear stability on the Korean Peninsula”, East Asia Forum, 10 October 2020
- “Will COVID-19 temper Pyongyang’s belligerence?”, East Asia Forum, 10 June 2020. Republished in Channel News Asia
- “Pyongyang’s cycle of provocation and negotiation: A dispassionate analysis” (with Shawn Ho), Asia Dialogue, 21 October 2019
- “Handshakes and Missiles: Mixed Signals From North Korea” (with Shawn Ho), The Diplomat, 9 August 2019
Last updated on 08/03/2021