Following links control the content below
Margareth Sembiring is a PhD candidate and an Associate Research Fellow at the Centre for Non-Traditional Security Studies (NTS Centre), S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. Her research focuses on climate change governance and climate mitigation, especially in low carbon transition, in Southeast Asia. She is actively involved in the management of the NTS-Asia Consortium Secretariat where she is currently serving as the manager.
Areas of Expertise
- Climate Change and Environment
Resilience in the Face of Disruptions
19 February, 2019
The Sustainability of Nuclear Energy in Southeast Asia: Opportunities and Challenges
17 October, 2014
COP27: Financing Pledges and Managing Expectations
28 November, 2022
Indonesia’s 2060 Net-Zero Ambition: The Challenges Ahead
12 October, 2022
Planetary Health: Managing Competing Tensions
24 May, 2022
Planetary Health: A More Resilient World Post-COVID-19?
05 November, 2021
'Code Red for Humanity': What Next for Mankind?
06 September, 2021
Decarbonisation on a Finite Planet
25 November, 2020
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Urgently Needed: Ecological View in Decision-making
08 September, 2020
Global Health Security - COVID-19 Crisis: Timely Reminder for Climate Change
17 April, 2020
Global Health Security - Migrant Domestic Workers: Their COVID-19 Burdens
31 March, 2020
Climate Change: Re-assessing Current Approaches
02 December, 2019
COP24 and the Silesia Declaration: Impact on Palm Oil
28 December, 2018
1.5°C Too Soon: More Must Be Done
05 November, 2018
CO17149 | Build Back Greener: Climate Change & Humanitarian Response
10 August, 2017
CO17116 | Protecting Our Seas - Climate Change Adaptation: Case of South China Sea
12 June, 2017
CO16307 | The Rise of Trump and Its Global Implications - Trump’s Impending U-turn on Climate Change: Worry for Southeast Asia?
20 December, 2016
CO16211 | Combating Haze: Holding One’s Breath A Year On
19 August, 2016
CO16176 | Climate Change and Renewable Energy: Mitigation or Vulnerability?
13 July, 2016
CO16174 | International Disasters in Asia Pacific: Indonesia’s Civil-Military Responses
12 July, 2016
CO16111 | Climate Change, Disaster Risk Reduction and Gender: The Southeast Asia Experience
13 May, 2016
CO15191 | Here Comes the Haze, Yet Again: Are New Measures Working?
08 September, 2015
CO14237 | Renewable Energy in Southeast Asia: Priorities and Commitments Needed
28 November, 2014
CO14216 | Can ASEAN Develop a Robust Nuclear Energy Regime?
04 November, 2014
CO13227 | Energy Security: Would Vietnam’s Ninh Thuan Nuclearise Southeast Asia?
16 December, 2013
CO13200 | The Mindanao Peace Process: Can Indonesia Advance It?
28 October, 2013
CO13128 | Fuel Price Hike and Indonesia’s Energy Insecurity
11 July, 2013
Consultative Roundtable on the Humanitarian Dimension and Protection Aspects of Trafficking in Persons
01 February, 2015
ASEAN-Canada Forum 2014: Natural Resources Management for Sustainable Growth
22 November, 2014
Workshop on Community Resilience and Human Security: From Complex Humanitarian Emergencies to Sustainable Peace and Development
02 October, 2014
NTS Bulletin (Oct 2013)
10 October, 2013
Food Insecurity Beyond Borders: Untangling the Complex Impacts of Ukraine War on Global Food Security
16 August, 2022
Planetary Health: Reflections from Asia
20 June, 2022
Planetary Health and Triple Planetary Crisis: Relevance for Multilateral Cooperation on Biodiversity Protection and Conservation in Southeast Asia
14 September, 2021
Decarbonisation on a Finite Planet: A Preliminary Assessment of Environmental and Social Impacts
02 November, 2020
Green Recovery in Post-COVID-19 Southeast Asia?
02 October, 2020
Domestic Coal: A Hindrance to Renewable Energy Development?
20 April, 2020
Global Waste Trade Chaos: Rising Environmentalism or Cost-Benefit Analysis?
01 July, 2019
Simultaneous Disasters in Southeast Asia: Is Risk Outpacing Resilience?
10 October, 2018
The Case for a Dedicated Regional Mechanism for Climate Change:A Comparative Assessment
17 July, 2018
Examining Cooperation for Climate Change Adaptation in Southeast Asia: The Case of Lower Mekong River Basin
23 April, 2018
Marine Environmental Protection in the South China Sea: Challenges and Prospects Part 2
20 February, 2018
Marine Environmental Protection in the South China Sea: Challenges and Prospects Part I
11 December, 2017
Towards Policy Integration of Disaster Risk, Climate Adaptation, and Development in ASEAN: A Baseline Assessment
06 January, 2017
NTS Insight (Mar 2014) | Examining Economic Development, Environmental Policy and Transboundary Pollution: The Case of Iskandar Malaysia and Air Quality
03 March, 2014
Commemorative / Event Reports
Bulletins and Newsletters
Chapters in Edited Books
- “Marine Environmental Protection in the South China Sea” (with Lina Gong, Julius Cesar Imperial Trajano, and Rini Astuti) in Mely Caballero-Anthony and Lina Gong (Eds.), Non-Traditional Security Issues in ASEAN: Agendas for Action. Singapore: ISEAS - Yusof Ishak Institute, 2020, Chap 4
- “Climate Change and Regional Cooperation in Southeast Asia” in Mely Caballero-Anthony and Lina Gong (Eds.), Non-Traditional Security Issues in ASEAN: Agendas for Action. Singapore: ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute, 2020,
- “Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Response” (with Christopher Chen, and Foo Yen Ne) in Mely Caballero-Anthony and Lina Gong (Eds.), Non-Traditional Security Issues in ASEAN: Agendas for Action. Singapore: ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute, 2020,
- “Evaluating the Distributional Impacts of Disasters and Climate Change, and the Development of Adaptation Roadmaps: Rethinking ASEAN Strategy, Policies and Actions” (with Mely Caballero-Anthony, and Jose Ma. Luis P. Montesclaros) in V. Anbumozhi, J. Gross and Stefan Wesiak (Eds.), Towards a Resilient ASEAN (Volume 2): Advancing Disaster Resilience and Climate Change Adaptation: Roadmap and Options for Implementation. Jakarta, Indonesia: Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia, 2019, pp.39-71
- Margareth Sembiring. "Chapter 3.3: “Energy Security and Connectivity in Asia and Europe”, in ASEF Outlook Report 2016/2017, CONNECTIVITY: Facts and Perspectives, Volume II: Connecting Asia and Europe edited by Sunkyoung Lee, 2016. (Singapore: Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF))
- “COP26: Much Achieved, Huge Opportunities Missed”, Council on Foreign Relations, 18 November 2021
- “Biden’s Welcome Climate Reboot and the Daunting Diplomacy Ahead”, The Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), 30 April 2021
- “The Same Old Normal for Climate Action in Post-Pandemic Southeast Asia”, The National Bureau of Asian Research, 26 September 2020
- “Climate Change and Environment: Beyond Decarbonising and Greening”, NTS-Asia Newsletter 47th Edition, 28 August 2020
- Margareth Sembiring, 31 October 2015. Forest Fires: Breakthroughs Possible under ASEAN Agreement. The Jakarta Post.
- Margareth Sembiring, 12 August 2016. Vietnam’s vision for a renewable energy future. East Asia Forum.
Last updated on 05/10/2020