Following links control the content below
Jose Ma. Luis P. Montesclaros is Associate Research Fellow at the Centre for Non-Traditional Security Studies (NTS Centre), S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. He has a Master’s in Public Policy from the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore (funded by a generous two-year ASEAN Scholarship) and a BS Economics degree from the University of the Philippines, Diliman. He currently specialises in dynamic modelling of public policy systems, with a focus on food and climate change.
A proven researcher, he successfully managed fieldwork and analysis for a country report on property rights in the Philippines (done in parallel with country leads in China, Armenia, Kenya and Russia). He has also worked on two World Bank research projects in the past, developing frameworks for developing small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and tourism development.
Prior to doing research, he served as consultant to over 10 cities, 2 municipalities and a national association of cities in developing and executing 10- to 20-year strategies through the Performance Governance System, a local adaptation of the Balanced Scorecard. He has helped put in place mechanisms to address systemic barriers and achieve long-term development goals through solid community efforts.
Areas of Expertise
- Dynamic modelling of public policy systems
- Governance institutions and strategy development
- Small and medium enterprises (SME) and tourism development
- Member, Institute for New Economic Thinking – Young Scholars Initiative (2014)
- Member, Execution Premium Community (2011 to present)
Supporting Singapore’s "30-by-30" Food Security Target: Finding the "Sweet Spot" in Property Taxation
02 December, 2019
Supporting the Genome Microbial Identifier and Whole Genome Sequencing in Addressing Food Borne Diseases in ASEAN
21 November, 2018
Migration, Jobs and Wages: Reassessing Benefits and Challenges of Labour Migration
25 April, 2018
Scaling Up Commercial Urban Agriculture to Meet Food Demand in Singapore
21 February, 2018
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Pandemic Fatigue: Re-Examining Re-Opening’s Logic
22 July, 2020
Global Health Security - COVID-19: Health Pandemic to Food Crisis?
06 April, 2020
Global Health Security - The Burden of COVID-19: Urgent Need for Social Safety Nets
19 March, 2020
Beyond COVID-19: Global Priorities Against Future Contagion
20 February, 2020
Manila’s Tariff Move on Imported Rice: Implications for the Region
25 November, 2019
Singapore’s ’30 by 30’ Strategy: Can Food Self-Production Be Achieved?
25 March, 2019
Singapore’s Nascent Urban Farming: Potential Future Regional Centre?
23 November, 2018
New Trends in Humanitarian Assistance - Enticing the Private Sector: The Value Chain Approach
30 October, 2018
Transforming the Rice Value Chain: A Whole-of-Society Approach?
24 October, 2018
CO18163 | New Trends in Humanitarian Assistance - The Private Turn in Humanitarian Aid
05 October, 2018
CO18146 | Food Safety in ASEAN: Pitfalls of Complacency
07 September, 2018
CO17146 | World Agricultural Forum 2017 - Future of Agriculture and Implications for ASEAN
03 August, 2017
CO17142 | World Agricultural Forum 2017 - Jobs in Agri-Food Industry: Silver Lining for Youth
28 July, 2017
CO17100 | Haze Prevention: Transforming Agriculture Use?
19 May, 2017
CO16308 | Disease-free Farm Production in ASEAN: Goal For 2018?
20 December, 2016
CO16113 | Food Prices: A Double-edged Sword
16 May, 2016
CO15047 | It’s Not the Size, But How It’s Used: Lesson for ASEAN Rice Reserves
09 March, 2015
COVID-19 and Food Security in Asia: How Prepared are We?
09 June, 2020
The Evolving Singapore Agrifood Ecosystem
19 August, 2019
Ensuring a Successful Singapore Urban Food Cluster
28 February, 2018
- Iwata, Chikako, Jose Ma. Luis Montesclaros, Xiao Qi. “Systemic risks of asean+3 financial integration: Challenges, opportunities and the future (In Spanish).” Revista Digital Mundo Asia Pacífico Vol. 4 No. 6. 2015.
- Montesclaros, Jose Ma. Luis. “Governance and Development: Tradable and Non-Tradable Industries in Indonesia.” Asian Journal of Public Affairs, Vol.6, No.1. 2013.
- Evangelista, Ryan, Tanya Karina Lat, Francisca Claver and Jose Ma. Luis Montesclaros. “Philippines Property Markets Scorecard: Conditions for Small Businesses.” Washington, D.C.: Center for International Private Enterprise and Manila: Institute for Solidarity in Asia. 2014.
- Montesclaros, Jose Ma Luis. “Dynamic simulations of urban policies for sustainable food securitization: Dynamics of urban development, agriculture sector growth, and price mechanisms.” Conference Proceedings, Meeting Urban Food Needs (MUFN) project. Rome: UN FAO. 2015.
- Beath, Andrew, Yumeka Hirano, Jose Ma Luis Montesclaros. “Bridging the development gap: ASEAN equitable development monitor 2014 (English).” Washington, D.C.: World Bank Group. 2014.
Last updated on 20/04/2020