Following links control the content below
Jose Ma. Luis Montesclaros is Research Fellow with the Centre of Non-Traditional Security Studies (NTS Centre), S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, where he is concurrently Ph.D. Candidate (International Political Economy). He is Co-Investigator of the Project “Enhancing Food Supply Chain Resilience and Food Security in ASEAN with Utilization of Digital Technologies”, where he is conducting an assessment of digital technology adoption in ASEAN agriculture, to serve as a fact-base for future policy development to improve digital technology adoption in agriculture in Southeast Asia, together with the Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) and the ASEAN Secretariat.
He has conducted policy analysis with dynamic models of food security and climate change, providing inputs to Singapore’s Inter-Ministry Committee on Food Security (IMCFS) in identifying and addressing food security risks. He is First Inventor of the UrbanAgInvest tool (© NTU) tool with Prof Paul Teng (Co-Inventor), for assisting governments to draw investments into their high-tech farming sectors. As consultant, he previously co-authored the World Bank’s ASEAN-Commissioned report, “Bridging the Development Gap: ASEAN Equitable Development Monitor Report 2014”.
He obtained his Master’s in Public Policy from the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (LKYSPP), National University of Singapore as an ASEAN Scholar, and his BS Economics Degree from the University of the Philippines, and was one of the two “Leaders of Tomorrow” representing LKYSPP, NUS at the 44th Saint Gallen Wings of Excellence Awards in 2014 (Switzerland).
Areas of Expertise
- Dynamic modelling of public policy systems
- Governance institutions and strategy development
- Small and medium enterprises (SME) and tourism development
- Member, Institute for New Economic Thinking – Young Scholars Initiative (2014)
- Member, Execution Premium Community (2011 to present)
Non-Traditional Security Concerns in the New Normal
12 July, 2022
Empowering Digitalisation in ASEAN Agriculture: Lessons from EU Regional Platforms for Geospatial Technologies
14 July, 2023
Community Gardens: A "Fourth Basket" in Singapore's Food Story?
24 August, 2021
Supporting Singapore’s "30-by-30" Food Security Target: Finding the "Sweet Spot" in Property Taxation
02 December, 2019
Supporting the Genome Microbial Identifier and Whole Genome Sequencing in Addressing Food Borne Diseases in ASEAN
21 November, 2018
Migration, Jobs and Wages: Reassessing Benefits and Challenges of Labour Migration
25 April, 2018
Scaling Up Commercial Urban Agriculture to Meet Food Demand in Singapore
21 February, 2018
The Dual Mandate of Food Exporting States: India’s Roles in the Global Food Order
06 September, 2023
Volatility in the Rice Sector: Time for ASEAN to Act?
22 August, 2023
The Philippine Maharlika Investment Fund
10 April, 2023
Uncertainty in the Black Sea: Implications for Asia’s Food Security
09 November, 2022
International Currency Instability and Food Security: Time to Rebuild “Real Food Economies”?
31 October, 2022
Global Food Insecurity - The Danger of Misguided Food Production Policies: The Case of Sri Lanka
28 October, 2022
Ukraine War and Food Security: How Should ASEAN Respond?
25 May, 2022
India’s Food Security Resilience: Some Tips for ASEAN?
23 May, 2022
COP26’s Dilemma: Sustainability vs Food Security?
23 March, 2022
Community Gardens: Singapore’s “Fourth Food Basket”?
02 November, 2021
Global Health Security COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Vaccine Resilience: Next Stage in ASEAN’s War?
02 August, 2021
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Lockdowns in ASEAN: Winning the Pandemic War
22 February, 2021
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Pandemic Fatigue: Re-Examining Re-Opening’s Logic
22 July, 2020
Global Health Security - COVID-19: Health Pandemic to Food Crisis?
06 April, 2020
Global Health Security - The Burden of COVID-19: Urgent Need for Social Safety Nets
19 March, 2020
Beyond COVID-19: Global Priorities Against Future Contagion
20 February, 2020
Manila’s Tariff Move on Imported Rice: Implications for the Region
25 November, 2019
Singapore’s ’30 by 30’ Strategy: Can Food Self-Production Be Achieved?
25 March, 2019
Singapore’s Nascent Urban Farming: Potential Future Regional Centre?
23 November, 2018
New Trends in Humanitarian Assistance - Enticing the Private Sector: The Value Chain Approach
30 October, 2018
Transforming the Rice Value Chain: A Whole-of-Society Approach?
24 October, 2018
CO18163 | New Trends in Humanitarian Assistance - The Private Turn in Humanitarian Aid
05 October, 2018
CO18146 | Food Safety in ASEAN: Pitfalls of Complacency
07 September, 2018
CO17146 | World Agricultural Forum 2017 - Future of Agriculture and Implications for ASEAN
03 August, 2017
CO17142 | World Agricultural Forum 2017 - Jobs in Agri-Food Industry: Silver Lining for Youth
28 July, 2017
CO17100 | Haze Prevention: Transforming Agriculture Use?
19 May, 2017
CO16308 | Disease-free Farm Production in ASEAN: Goal For 2018?
20 December, 2016
CO16113 | Food Prices: A Double-edged Sword
16 May, 2016
CO15047 | It’s Not the Size, But How It’s Used: Lesson for ASEAN Rice Reserves
09 March, 2015
Food Insecurity Beyond Borders: Untangling the Complex Impacts of Ukraine War on Global Food Security
16 August, 2022
India’s Approach to Food Security Resilience Amid COVID-19: Relevance to ASEAN?
04 May, 2022
COVID-19 and Food Security in Asia: How Prepared are We?
09 June, 2020
The Evolving Singapore Agrifood Ecosystem
19 August, 2019
Ensuring a Successful Singapore Urban Food Cluster
28 February, 2018
- Digital Technology Utilization in the Agriculture Sector for Enhancing Food Supply Chain Resilience in Asean: Current Status and Potential Solutions (with Paul Teng, and Mely Caballero-Anthony), Project Report, S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies and Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia, 20 June 2023
- “Agricultural Transformation for Small (Island and Developing) States” (with Paul Teng) in Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development, Vol. 20, No. 1 , 2023. pp. 13–30
- “Changing the Narrative of ASEAN Progress in Addressing Hunger: ‘Snoozing’ the Alarm for SDG #2?” in Food Security Journal, DOI: 10.1007/s12571-021-01158-8, 2021
- Iwata, Chikako, Jose Ma. Luis Montesclaros, Xiao Qi. “Systemic risks of asean+3 financial integration: Challenges, opportunities and the future (In Spanish).” Revista Digital Mundo Asia Pacífico Vol. 4 No. 6. 2015.
- Montesclaros, Jose Ma. Luis. “Governance and Development: Tradable and Non-Tradable Industries in Indonesia.” Asian Journal of Public Affairs, Vol.6, No.1. 2013.
Chapters in Edited Books
- “Impact of COVID-19 on Singapore’s Rice Supplies” in Jamie S Davidson (Ed.), Just Another Crisis? The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Southeast Asia's Rice Sector. Singapore: ISEAS Yusof Ishak Institute, 2023, pp.161-189. ISBN: 9789815011920
- “Will the Benefits of Laos’s Future Hydropower Infrastructure Projects Outweigh the Costs?” in Brahma Chellaney and Frederick Kliem (Eds.), The Displaced: Disrupted Trade, Labour, and Politics in the Mekong River Basin.. Japan: Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung’s Regional Economic Programme Asia (SOPAS), 2022, pp. 80-105
- “ASEAN Responses to COVID-19 for Assuring Food Security” (with Paul Teng, and Mely Caballero-Anthony) in Marc J. Cohen (Ed.), Advances in Food Security and Sustainability. : Elsevier, 2021, pp. 83-118
- “Food Security in a Time of Climate and Economic Uncertainty” in Alistair D B Cook and Tamara Nair (Eds.), Non-Traditional Security in the Asia-Pacific: A Decade of Perspectives. Singapore: World Scientific, 2021, pp. 111–116
- “Agriculture and Food Security in Asia” (with Paul Teng) in Juan M. Pulhin, Makoto Inoue and Rajib Shaw (Eds.), Climate Change, Disaster Risks, and Human Security, Disaster Risk Reduction Book Series. Singapore: Springer, 2021, pp. 137-168
- “What are the Economic Impacts of a Pandemic?” in Dr. Majeed Khader (Principal Psychologist, Home Team Behavioural Sciences Centre, Ministry of Home Affairs, Singapore) (Ed.), How to Prepare for the Next Pandemic. Singapore: World Scientific, 2020, pp. 23–41
- “Pandemic Fatigue: Re-Examining Re-Opening’s Logic” (with Mely Caballero-Anthony) in Lina Gong and Julius Cesar Trajano (Eds.), NTS Year in Review 2020. Singapore: NTS Centre, 2020, pp.12-13
- “Disruptive Technologies in Food Production: The Next Green Revolution” in Scott Romaniuk, Manish Thapa and Péter Marton (Eds.), The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Global Security Studies. Online: Palgrave Macmillan, Cham, 2020, p.2 of 10
- “Southeast Asia’s Food Security: Inflection Point?” in Mely Caballero-Anthony (Ed.), Lina Gong(Ed.), Non-Traditional Security Issues in ASEAN: Agendas for Action . Singapore: ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute, 2020,
- “Public-Private Partnership for Addressing Southeast Asia’s Growing Hunger Problem” in Tamara Nair and Alistair D. B. Cook (Eds.), NTS Year in Review 2019. Singapore: NTS Centre, 2019, pp.16-17
- “Evaluating the Distributional Impacts of Disasters and Climate Change, and the Development of Adaptation Roadmaps: Rethinking ASEAN Strategy, Policies and Actions” (with Mely Caballero-Anthony, and Margareth Sembiring) in V. Anbumozhi, J. Gross and Stefan Wesiak (Eds.), Towards a Resilient ASEAN (Volume 2): Advancing Disaster Resilience and Climate Change Adaptation: Roadmap and Options for Implementation. Jakarta, Indonesia: Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia, 2019, pp.39-71
- “Climate-Resilient Agriculture in Southeast Asia” in Tamara Nair and Alistair D. B. Cook (Eds.), NTS Year in Review 2018. Singapore: NTS Centre, 2018, pp.16-17
- “Securing the Food Production Base: Youth and Technological Adaptation” in Tamara Nair and Alistair D. B. Cook (Eds.), NTS Year in Review 2017. Singapore: NTS Centre, 2017, pp.12-13
- “Bridging Technology Gaps in Agriculture 23 through Innovation Brokers” in Tamara Nair and Alistair D. B. Cook (Eds.), NTS Year in Review 2016. Singapore: NTS Centre, 2016, pp.12-13
- IoT-enabled farms and climate-adaptive agriculture technologies: Investment lessons from Singapore (with Paul Teng, and Suresh Chandra Babu), International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Washington, DC, 21 February 2019
- Evangelista, Ryan, Tanya Karina Lat, Francisca Claver and Jose Ma. Luis Montesclaros. “Philippines Property Markets Scorecard: Conditions for Small Businesses.” Washington, D.C.: Center for International Private Enterprise and Manila: Institute for Solidarity in Asia. 2014.
- Montesclaros, Jose Ma Luis. “Dynamic simulations of urban policies for sustainable food securitization: Dynamics of urban development, agriculture sector growth, and price mechanisms.” Conference Proceedings, Meeting Urban Food Needs (MUFN) project. Rome: UN FAO. 2015.
- Dynamic simulations of urban policies for sustainable food securitization: Dynamics of urban development, agriculture sector growth, and price mechanisms, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (UN FAO), Meeting Urban Food Needs (MUFN) Conference - Proceedings, , 13 February 2015
- Beath, Andrew, Yumeka Hirano, Jose Ma Luis Montesclaros. “Bridging the development gap: ASEAN equitable development monitor 2014 (English).” Washington, D.C.: World Bank Group. 2014.
- “Craving India’s Food Security Success”, East Asia Forum , 3 September 2022
- “Exporting Eelectricity Generates Income, But It Also Generates Concern”, Lianhe Zaobao, 16 July 2022
- “ASEAN Should Deal with Food Security Concerns” (with Mely Caballero-Anthony), The Straits Times, 28 May 2022
- “The COVID New (Ab)Normal: Pandemic-Proofing Cities” (with Mely Caballero-Anthony), Asia Society Policy Institute, 8 December 2020
- “Lessons from Covid: Tackling disease with a city-by-city approach” (with Mely Caballero-Anthony), The Interpreter, 29 October 2020
- “新加坡须灵活应对粮食安全问题(Singapore must respond flexibly to food security issues)” (with Paul Teng, and Mely Caballero-Anthony), Zaobao, 29 July 2020
- “The ‘egg-onomics’ of food security” (with Paul Teng, and Mely Caballero-Anthony), The Straits Times, 24 July 2020
- “From a Health Pandemic to Food Crisis”, Khmer Times, 9 April 2020
- “COVID-19: Health Pandemic To Food Crisis? – Analysis”, Eurasia Review, 8 April 2020
- “The Burden Of COVID-19: Urgent Need For Social Safety Nets – Analysis”, Eurasia Review, 21 March 2020
- “Global priorities against future contagion”, Khmer Times, 27 February 2020
- “Beyond COVID-19: Global Priorities Against Future Contagion – Analysis”, Eurasia Review, 22 February 2020
- “Commentary: Singapore’s ‘30 by 30’ food production target: Is it feasible?” (with Paul Teng), Today Online, 9 April 2019
- “Transforming The Rice Value Chain: A Whole-Of-Society Approach?” (with Paul Teng), Eurasia Review, 2 June 2017
- “Transforming agriculture to prevent haze”, New Straits Times Online, 2 June 2017
- “Commentary: Is finding an alternative crop to oil palm the key to preventing haze?”, Channel News Asia, 22 May 2017
- “It’s not the size but how it’s used: lessons for ASEAN Rice Reserves”, The Jakarta Post, 17 March 2015
Last updated on 06/07/2021