Following links control the content below
Robert Beckman is an Adjunct Senior Fellow in the Maritime Security Programme at the Institute for Defence and Strategic Studies of the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, NTU. He was the founding Director of the Centre for International Law (CIL), a university-level research centre at the National University of Singapore (NUS). He served as its Director from 2009 to 2016, and he is currently the Head of its Ocean Law and Policy Programme. Prof Beckman is also an associate professor in the NUS Faculty of Law. He is an expert on the law of the sea and has a special interest in ocean law and policy, maritime security and the international regulation of shipping. He is a Director of the Rhodes Academy of International Law and has lectured at the Rhodes Academy since 2009. He serves as a member of the Executive Committee of the Singapore branch of the Council on Security and Cooperation in the Asia-Pacific (CSCAP). Prof Beckman was awarded the Public Administration Medal (Bronze) at the 2007 National Day Awards, along with two awards from NUS – the Outstanding Educator Award (2001), and the Staff Achievement Award (1997).
Areas of Expertise
- Ocean Law & Policy
- Piracy and Maritime Security
- International Regulation of Shipping
- Marine Environmental Law
- Director of the Centre for International Law (CIL), NUS
- Head of Programme in Ocean Law and Policy, CIL, NUS
- Associate Professor, NUS Faculty of Law
CO17092 | Unauthorised Manoeuvres in Waters: US Chides M’sia Restrictions - A Rejoinder to BA Hamzah -
12 May, 2017
CO16180 | Game Changer in the Maritime Disputes
18 July, 2016
CO14213 | Large-Scale Reclamation Projects in the South China Sea: China and International Law
29 October, 2014
CO14043 | The South China Sea Disputes: Formula for a Paradigm Shift - A Rejoinder
03 March, 2014
CO14035 | The South China Sea Disputes: Formula for a Paradigm Shift?
19 February, 2014
CO12140 | The South China Sea Disputes: How States Can Clarify Their Maritime Claims
31 July, 2012
CO12072 | Scarborough Shoal: Flashpoint for Confrontation or Opportunity for Cooperation?
24 April, 2012
CO12036 | The China-Philippines Dispute in the South China Sea: Does Beijing have a Legitimate Claim
07 March, 2012
CO11075 | Islands or Rocks? Evolving Dispute in South China Sea
10 May, 2011
CO10116 | South China Sea: How China Could Clarify its Claims
16 September, 2010
CO10090 | South China Sea: Worsening Dispute or Growing Clarity in Claims?
16 August, 2010
CO07046 | Joint Development in the South China Sea: Time for ASEAN and China to Promote Cooperation?
29 May, 2007
CO07042 | Bush’s Decision to Accede to UNCLOS Why it is important for Asia
22 May, 2007
CO06125 | Australia’s Pilotage System in the Torres Strait: A Threat to Transit Passage?
07 December, 2006
CO06116 | North Korea and the UN: Resolution 1718 and Its Legal Dimensions
27 October, 2006
Chapters in Edited Books
- Beckman, Robert. “The 1998 SUA Convention and 2005 SUA Protocol: Tools to Combat Piracy, Armed Robbery, and Maritime Terrorism.” In Lloyd’s MIU Handbook of Maritime Security, edited by Rupert Herbert-Burns, Sam Bateman and Peter Lehr. Florida: CRC Press, 2009.
- Beckman, Robert. “South China Sea: Time for ASEAN-China Joint Development?” in Strategic Currents: Emerging Trends in Southeast Asia, edited by Yang Razali Kassim. Singapore: RSIS and ISEAS, 2009.
- Beckman, Robert. “Legal Regimes for Cooperation in the South China Sea.” In Security and International Politics in the South China Sea: Towards a Co-operative Management Regime, edited by Sam Bateman and Ralf Emmers. Abingdon: Routledge, December 2008.
- Beckman, Robert. “Military Activities in the Exclusive Economic Zone: Towards a Common Understanding.” In Strategic Currents: Marking the Transition to the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, edited by Yang Razali Kassim. Singapore: Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies, 2006.
- Security of Submarine Cables, Maritime Law Enforcement Division of the UN Office of Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Maritime Law Enforcement Division workshop for Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam, 5-8 April 2021
- Singapore-Philippines Cooperation on the Seafarer Crisis: Model for the Region?, South China Sea Sub-forum of the Boao Forum for Asia Annual Conference 2021, 20-21 April 2021
- State Responsibility for the Actions of Private Entities and the Role of Non-State Entities in Maritime Cooperation, 3rd ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) Workshop on Implementing UNCLOS and other International Instruments, 1-2 June.
Last updated on 06/10/2021