ADF-RSIS Distinguished Virtual Forum
Leveraging the Effects of the Pandemic Towards Regional Cooperation in Asia
- His Excellency Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkey
- His Excellency Ceyhun Bayramov, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan
- His Excellency Dr A. K. Abdul Momen, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bangladesh
- His Excellency Suzuki Keisuke, State Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan
- Her Excellency Armida Salsiah Alisjahbana, Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations; and Executive Secretary, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific
- His Excellency Dr Pornchai Danvivathana, Secretary-General of the Asian Cooperation Dialogue
- His Excellency Bambang Susantono, Vice-President for Knowledge Management and Sustainable Development of the Asia Development Bank
Other speaker(s) may be included later
- Ambassador Murat Karagöz, Director General of Information, and Co-Chair, Antalya Diplomacy Forum, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkey
- Ambassador Ong Keng Yong, Executive Deputy Chairman of the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies
It is difficult to envisage the timeframe for the introduction of widespread vaccine and medicines to fight the SARS-CoV2 virus causing COVID-19 disease. Nevertheless, it suits best to face this crisis with a “can-do” attitude. The pandemic-induced crisis cannot be viewed separately from the economic hardships related to the necessary measures to stem the spread of virus. In that sense, finding a cure is only the first step to overcome this crisis.
While every country is doing its utmost to counter the negative effects of the pandemic, singular efforts are not sufficient to stem a global phenomenon. In today’s interconnected world, no country has the luxury to ignore the developments beyond its borders. It is high time for each country to display its best practices for the benefit of other countries for them to emulate and contribute with their own. Same is definitely true for the multilateral organizations as the available platforms to inculcate and encourage their members on the virtues of common action.
Overcoming the pandemic is only the first step. Solutions must be devised and implemented to counter the economic and social effects of the pandemic. Asian decision makers should enhance cooperation to draw a roadmap for and further normalization and recovery.
This event is co-organised by the Antalya Diplomacy Forum and RSIS.