12th Asia-Pacific Programme for Senior National Security Officers (APPSNO)
The 12th Asia-Pacific Programme for Senior National Security Officers (APPSNO) will be held from 6 to 11 May 2018 in Singapore. The theme for the upcoming APPSNO is Boundaries of National Security. This theme allows participants to discuss a broad range of threats, how the boundaries of national security are shifting, and the need for adaptation.
Leading experts (made up of a combination of local and international speakers) in the domains of cybersecurity, extremism, communication, homeland security, non-traditional security have been invited to share their thoughts and experiences to address broad topics such as:
- Emergent Issues in Homeland Security – emerging technologies and security, approaches to fake news, new insights into health security.
- Governing Difference – impact of social fragmentations on national security, issues of class divisions, racial tensions and diversity in megacities.
- Terrorism and its Futures – the changing drivers of terrorism, new actors, politicisation of ideologies and understanding new forms of radicalisation.
- Cybersecurity: Boundaries and Priorities – the cyber skills gap and cyber capacity building, the difficulty of attaining international agreement on cyber norms and the difference between a cyber war and cyber conflict.
- Case Studies – irregular migration, climate change and populism.
The Distinguished Dinner Lecture will discuss how the boundaries of national security are evolving.