Following links control the content below
- Areas of Expertise
- Professional Activities
- RSIS Publications
- External Publications
- RSIS Modules Taught
Sinderpal Singh is Senior Fellow and Coordinator of the South Asia Programme at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. His research interests include the international relations of South Asia with a special focus on Indian foreign policy. Before joining RSIS, Sinderpal was a Senior Research Fellow at the Institute of South Asian Studies, National University of Singapore, and a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, National University of Singapore. He has published articles in India Review, South Asia: Journal of South Asian Studies, Contemporary Southeast Asia and Pacific Affairs; his single-authored book is entitled India in South Asia: Domestic Identity Politics and Foreign Policy from Nehru to the BJP (Routledge 2013; paperback version, 2015). He has also contributed book chapters on aspects of India’s Northeast, specifically in relation to India-ASEAN land connectivity. He is presently in the final stages of completing an edited book on the “Modi Doctrine” in Indian foreign policy as well as a book-length manuscript examining ‘Indian’ constructions of the Indian Ocean region from the colonial period till the present. He received his PhD from the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, his MA from the Australian National University and his BA from the National University of Singapore.
Areas of Expertise
- Indian Foreign Policy
- IR Theory
- Asia’s International Politics
- Regionalism in International Politics
- Indian Ocean Security
- Associate Editor, South Asia: Journal of South Asian Studies (http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/csas20)
- Member, South Asian Studies Association of Australia
- Member, British Association of South Asian Studies
- Sinderpal Singh, India in South Asia: Domestic Identity Politics and Foreign Policy from Nehru to the BJP (New York & Abingdon: Routledge, 2013- re-published as paperback, 2014)
- Sinderpal Singh, Modi and the World: (Re) Constructing Indian Foreign Policy (Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, April 2017)
- India-China Maritime Competition: Southeast Asia and the Dilemma of Regional States
- Sinderpal Singh, ‘Debating Physical Connectivity between India and Southeast Asia: Economics vs Security’ in Namrata Goswami (ed.), India’s Approach to Asia: Strategy, Geopolitics and Responsibility (Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2016)
- Sinderpal Singh, ‘India’s LEP and India-ASEAN Connectivity: Territorial Borders and Anxiety in Indian Foreign Policy’ in S. Narayan and Laldinkima Sailo (eds), Connecting India to ASEAN (Delhi: Manohar Publishers, 2015)
- Sinderpal Singh, ‘India-ASEAN Connectivity: Boundary or Gateway?’, in Prabir De (ed.), Dynamics of India-ASEAN Strategic Partnership, (Delhi: RIS, 2014).
- Sinderpal Singh, The Indo-Pacific and India-U.S. Strategic Convergence: An Assessment, Asia Policy 14.1 (2019).
- Sinderpal Singh, The dilemmas of regional states: How Southeast Asian states view and respond to India–China maritime competition, Asian Security, 15(1), November 2018.
- John Harriss, Aseema Sinha, Andrew Wyatt and Sinderpal Singh, 'Indian Political Studies: In Search of Distinctiveness', Pacific Affairs, 88(1), 2015.
- Sinderpal Singh, 'From Delhi to Bandung: Nehru, Indian-ness and Pan-Asian-ness', South Asia: Journal of South Asian Studies, 34(1), 2011
- Sinderpal Singh and Syeda Sana Rahman, 'Singapore-India Relations; Constructing a "New" Bilateral Relationship', Contemporary Southeast Asia, 32(1), 2010
- Sinderpal Singh, 'Border Crossings and "Islamic Terrorists": Representing Bangladesh in Indian Foreign policy during the BJP Era', India Review, 8(2), 2009
- Sinderpal Singh, 'India-Pakistan Relations Remain in Limbo', TODAY (Singapore), 28th January 2016
- Sinderpal Singh, ‘Abe’s Visit to India: The Strategic Implications’, ISAS Brief, 2014
- Sinderpal Singh, ‘Something of a Home Coming: Aung Sang Suu Kyi’s Visit to India’, ISAS Brief, 2012
- Sinderpal Singh, ‘India Walks the Tightrope in East Asia’, TODAY (Singapore), 13th November 2010
- Sinderpal Singh, 'H1B Visa Fee Hike: Will India-US Ties Be Affected?', ISAS Brief, 2010
- Sinderpal Singh, ‘United States-India Strategic Dialogue: Still Waiting for Obama, ISAS Brief, 2010
- Sinderpal Singh, ‘A New Japan and Possible Implications for Japan-India Relations, ISAS Brief, 2009
- Sinderpal Singh, ‘A Tale of Two Visits: The India-China-US Relationship’, ISAS Brief, 2009
- Sinderpal Singh, ‘Time for a Singapore Lobby in Delhi’, Business Times (Singapore), 7th October 2009
- Sinderpal Singh, ‘Silence is Golden: India Current Position on Myanmar’, ISAS Brief, 2009
- Sinderpal Singh, ‘Hillary Clinton’s Visit to India: Differences Remain despite Positive Outcomes’, ISAS Brief, 2009
RSIS Modules Taught
Last updated on 01/03/2019