Following links control the content below
- Areas of Expertise
- Professional Activities
- RSIS Publications
- External Publications
- Teaching Modules
Pascal Vennesson is Senior Fellow and Head of Research at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He is also Professor of Political Science at the University Pantheon-Assas, Paris II (on leave). His research and teaching lie at the intersection of the fields of international relations and strategic studies. Before joining RSIS, he held the Chair “Security in Europe”, at the European University Institute, Robert Schuman Center for Advanced Studies. He also taught “Strategy and Policy” for ten years at The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)-Bologna Center. He is the author, co-author and editor of six books and his refereed articles have been notably published in Armed Forces and Society, International Relations, Journal of Strategic Studies, Journal of Global Security Studies, Review of International Studies, Revue Française de Science Politique and Security Studies. An award-winning teacher, Professor Vennesson supervised or co-supervised more than twenty PhD dissertations in international security. He is a member of the editorial boards of Revue Française de Science Politique (French Political Science Review), Security Studies, Armed Forces and Society and the European Journal of International Security. He was a fellow at Stanford University’s Center for International Security and Arms Control, at Ohio State University’s Mershon Center and a Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique fellow at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Harvard Kennedy School. He received his MA from the University Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne and his Ph.D. from Sciences-Po Paris.
Areas of Expertise
- Changing character of war
- Judgment and decision in war
- Strategic thought
- Case study and process tracing
- French politics, foreign and defence policies
- Professor and Director of the Center for Social Science Studies of Defense (Centre d’études en sciences sociales de la défense-Secrétariat général pour l’administration), French Ministry of Defence, 1999-2003
- Member, European Report on Development, 2009, 2010
- Council Member of the Inter-University Seminar on Armed Forces and Society (IUS), 2013-Present.
- “Is Strategic Studies Rationalist, Materialist, and A-Critical? Reconnecting Security and Strategy” in Journal of Global Security Studies, n/a, n/a, 2019, 1-17
- Pascal Vennesson, Amanda Huan, “The General’s Intuition: Overconfidence, Pattern Matching, and the Inchon Landing Decision,” Armed Forces & Society 2017 http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0095327X17738771
- Vennesson, Pascal. "Is strategic studies narrow? Critical security and the misunderstood scope of strategy", Journal of Strategic Studies 2017.
- Vennesson, Pascal. “War Under Transnational Surveillance: Framing Ambiguity and the Politics of Shame”, Review of International Studies, 40(1), 2014, pp. 25-51.
- Vennesson, Pascal; Eugenio Cusumano. “Transformations de l’engagement civique et nouvel art américain de la guerre,” [Transformation of Civic Participation and the New American Way of War], Gouvernement et action publique [Government and Public Action published by Sciences-Po Press], 2(4), October-December 2013, pp. 567-594.
- Vennesson, Pascal; Chiara Ruffa; Christopher Dandeker. “Soldiers Drawn into Politics? The Influence of Tactics in Civil-Military Relations”, Small Wars and Insurgencies, 24(2), 2013.
Edited Books / Special Issues
- ASEAN’s External Agreements: Law, Practice and the Quest for Collective Action (with Marise Cremona, David Kleimann, Joris Larik, and Rena Lee), Eds. : Cambridge University Press , 2015
Chapters in Edited Books
- Pascal Vennesson. 'Cohesion and Misconduct: The French Army and the Mahé Affair' in: Anthony King, (ed.), Frontline. Combat and Cohesion in the Twenty-First Century. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015
- Vennesson, Pascal; Clara Portela. “Sanctions and Embargoes in EU-Asia Relations” in: Thomas Christiansen, Emil Kirchner, Philomena B. Murray (eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of EU-Asia Relations. Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2013.
Last updated on 01/07/2021