Following links control the content below
Muhammad Faizal is a Research Fellow with the Regional Security Architecture Programme, Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies (IDSS) at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS). He holds a Master of Science (Strategic Studies) degree from RSIS, NTU and Bachelor of Business Administration (with Merit) from NUS. He has a research background in terrorism and geopolitical cyber threats. Prior to RSIS, he served many years in the Singapore Ministry of Home Affairs and National Security Coordination Secretariat where he headed teams in the roles of intelligence analysis, international relations, and national security analysis; achieving several commendation awards for operational and analysis efficiency. He also served a stint in the Ministry of Communications and Information where he focused on the intersection of digital security and geopolitics. His current research interests include the implications of diplomatic, informational, military, and cyber issues on regional security; entwinement of technology and geopolitics in the Indo-Pacific security architecture; as well as information/influence operations’ and hybrid threats’ challenges on regionalism.
Faizal was also a regular resource person for international media such as MediaCorp on issues of terrorism, cyber threats, and influence/information operations; and had given lectures at conferences such as the Stockholm Security Conference 2017 and Security Industry Conference (SIC) 2018.
Areas of Expertise
- Implications of Geopolitical Competition and Digital Technologies to Hybrid Threats
- Influence and Information Operations
- Strategic Foresight, Intelligence and Counterterrorism
The Intersection of Emergent Technologies and Geopolitics: Implications for Singapore
07 April, 2020
Countermeasures Against Foreign Interference
17 April, 2020
Cases of Foreign Interference in Asia
26 March, 2020
Countering Fake News: A Survey of Recent Global Initiatives
07 March, 2018
Fake News: National Security in the Post-Truth Era
19 January, 2018
Smart CCTVs for Secure Cities: Potential and Challenges
15 August, 2017
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Pandemic, Technology and Privacy: How Far Will the State Go?
12 June, 2020
Global Health Security - COVID-19: What Changes – and What Doesn’t
17 April, 2020
Breaking Byte of Religious Extremism
05 September, 2019
Defending Singapore Against Foreign Interference
03 September, 2019
Economic Warfare: Enduring Its Impact
29 July, 2019
CO17237 | Rogue Aquatic Drones
18 December, 2017
CO17235 | Smart Security: Balancing Effectiveness and Ethics
14 December, 2017
CO17182 | Chatbots: Friend or Fiend?
03 October, 2017
CO17178 | Abu Uqayl: Bringing the Threat Closer to Home
28 September, 2017
CO17139 | Law Enforcement: Security Challenges Ahead
24 July, 2017
CO17109 | Artificial Intelligence: Why It Won’t Displace Police Analysts
01 June, 2017
CO17034 | Securing the Vertical Space of Cities
22 February, 2017
CO16306 | Singapore’s Threat Outlook 2017: The Terrorist Challenge Ahead
19 December, 2016
CO16300 | Smart CCTVs: Third Eye of Secure Cities
13 December, 2016
CO16255 | Robocops: Securing the Cities of Tomorrow
12 October, 2016
CO16148 | SG Secure: Fathers As Potential Advocates
16 June, 2016
CO16147 | Security Drones: Is the Singapore Public Ready?
15 June, 2016
CO16138 | Threats of Driverless Vehicles: Leveraging New Technologies for Solutions
07 June, 2016
RSIS Webinar Series on "DRUMS: Distortions, Rumours, Untruths, Misinformation & Smears"
08 April, 2021
RSIS Workshop On Understanding And Countering Online Falsehoods And Influence Operations
05 March, 2020
Commemorative / Event Reports
- Muhammad Faizal Bin Abdul Rahman. “Protecting the Vertical Space of Cities: Perspectives for Singapore” (August 18, 2017). Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy Research Paper No. 17-19 . Accessed September 14, 2017. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3021622
Edited Books / Special Issues
- Fostering Innovation For Future Security Challenges (with Damien D. Cheong, Benjamin Ang, and Norman Vasu), Eds. Singapore: Interpol, 2017
Chapters in Edited Books
- ““Smart Homes: Where Rogue AI and Robots could Impair Security”” in Majeed Khader, Whistine Xiau Ting Chai & Loo Seng Neo (Eds.), Introduction to Cyber Forensic Psychology: Understanding the Mind of the Cyber Deviant Perpetrators. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, 2021, 309 – 331
- “Leveraging Smart Technology for Better Counter-Terrorism Intelligence by Muhammad Faizal Bin Abdul Rahman” in Majeed Khader, Neo Loo Seng, Jethro Tan, Damien D Cheong & Jeffrey Chin (Eds.), Learning from Violent Extremist Attacks: Behavioural Sciences Insights for Practitioners and Policymakers. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing , 2019, 73 – 98
- The Persistence of Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in the Straits of Malacca and Singapore, Modern Diplomacy, Greece, 19 July 2021
- The Role of Police and Military Special Forces in Counter-terrorism Efforts in Cities, Small Wars Journal, United States of America, 2 November 2019
- “China’s SCO Diplomacy: Creating a Parallel World Order?” (with Tsjeng Zhizhao Henrick), The Politburo, 23 November 2022
- “Can NATO Counter China’s Influence In APAC?”, The ASEAN Post, 28 August 2021
- “Singapore’s Home-Grown Terrorists”, The ASEAN Post, 22 March 2021
- “3D-Printed Gun Laws: Girding for the Future of Terrorism”, Global Network on Extremism and Technology (GNET) Insights, 28 January 2021
- “Someone to Watch Over Me: Trusting Surveillance in Singapore’s ‘Smart Nation’” (with Teo Yi-Ling), The Diplomat, 26 January 2021
- “Why Data, Including Those From TraceTogether, Is Vital in Policing and Keeping Singapore Safe”, TODAY, 6 January 2021
- “Combatting Terrorism Amid The Pandemic”, The ASEAN POST, 12 December 2020
- “Impact Of US-China Technationalism On ASEAN” (with Dymples Leong), The ASEAN POST, 7 November 2020
- “Is the US-China Competition a “Good versus Evil” Struggle?”, The Politburo, 1 September 2020
- “COVID-19 and Future of Cyber Conflict”, The Diplomat, 17 July 2020
- “Singapore Decides on 5G Networks: Is Huawei Banned?”, The Diplomat, 2 July 2020
- “Robots Can Deliver Smart Policing In The Post COVID-19 Reality”, SmartCitiesWorld, 22 June 2020
- “COVID-19 and the Acceleration of State Surveillance”, Lowy Interpreter, 14 May 2020
- “The Asia-Pacific’s Huawei Conundrum” (with Russell Huang), The Diplomat, 12 March 2020
- “Singapore well-placed to tackle security threats in 2020, but the dark side looms”, Today, 1 January 2020
- “Strategizing Countermeasures Against Foreign Interference in Singapore”, International Policy Digest, 5 October 2019
- “Protecting Singapore’s Social Harmony: The Value of Reconciliation” (with Remy Mahzam), APPS Policy Forum, 4 October 2019
- “Foreign Influence Ops are a Reality, but Singaporeans Shouldn’t Overreact”, The Straits Times, 25 July 2019
- “Foreign Influence in Singapore: Old Threats in New Forms”, The Diplomat, 23 July 2019
- “What 700 Years of History Tell us About the SAF Today”, The Straits Times, 3 July 2019
- “Muhammad Faizal Bin Abdul Rahman. “Prosecuting Islamic State Foreign Fighters: Issues and Implications”, Eurasia Review, June 3, 2019”, Eurasia Review, 3 June 2019
- “Muhammad Faizal Bin Abdul Rahman. “Terror threat: Why Singaporeans should care”. TODAY Online, January, 29, 2019.”, TODAY, 29 January 2019
- “Critical Thinking, A Needed Nutrition to Resist the Virus of Falsehoods”, Channel News Asia, 29 September 2018
- “Countering ‘Smart’ Terrorists Who Use Online Gaming Platforms”, International Policy Digest, 15 August 2018
- “Space Insecurity: Implications for Non-Spacefaring States”, International Policy Digest, 15 July 2018
- “Malaysian election result puts Singapore’s security at a crossroads”, East Asia Forum, 15 July 2018
- “Why The Trump-Kim Summit Matters To The Average Singaporean”, Eurasia Review, 12 June 2018
- “Commentary: Blurred Lines and New Means – Terrorism’s Alarming New Dimensions”, Channel News Asia, 4 June 2018
- “Islamophobia: A Thorn in Humanity’s Flesh”, Eurasia Review, 24 March 2018
- “Smart Prisons Protect The Public And Rebuild Lives” (with V S Suguna), Eurasia Review, 6 March 2018
Remy Mahzam and Muhammad Faizal Bin Abdul Rahman. “Commentary: Radicalisation not a threat that can be flushed out”, Channel News Asia, January 6, 2018, Accessed January 8, 2018. https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/commentary-radicalisation-not-a-threat-that-can-be-flushed-out-9835408
- Muhammad Faizal Bin Abdul Rahman. “Bracing communities for returning foreign fighters”, Online Opinion, October 25, 2016. Accessed October 25, 2016. http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=18605
Muhammad Faizal Bin Abdul Rahman. “Sharpening defences against the blade of terrorism”, Online Opinion, October 12, 2016. Accessed October 18, 2016. http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=18578
- Lecturer, “An ASEAN Perspective on NATO and European Security Interests in the Indo-Pacific”, 30th Strategic Planning and Analysis Seminar (SPAS) on NATO and European Security and Defence Architecture by Geneva Centre for Security Policy (GCSP), 25 Nov 2022.
- Presenter, Workshop on “Strengthening Border Management Cooperation in ASEAN”, Network of ASEAN Defence and Security Institutions (NADI), 23 Nov 2022.
- Chair, “Big Corporations and the Future of the Internet”, CENS Workshop on DRUMS 2022: Security in a Post Truth World, by the Centre of Excellence for National Security (CENS), RSIS, 3 Nov 2022.
- Lecturer, “Disinformation and Fake News: Implications for the Home Team”, Home Team Senior Command and Staff Course by the Home Team Academy, 06 October 2021.
- Panellist, KAS YESA Forum: “NATO and the Indo-Pacific: Challenges and Opportunities for Regional Engagement” by Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, 29 September 2021.
- Panellist, Open Panel Discussion on “Afghanistan: Global Security Implications” by Counter Terrorism Certification Board, 14 September 2021.
- Panellist, Closed-Door Roundtable on “Expert Panel on Chinese Influence in Europe” by NATO Strategic Communications Centre of Excellence, 2 June 2021.
- Panellist, Webinar on “CAIDG Showcase Session 1: Tracing Community Disquiet in the Age of COVID-19” by Singapore Management University – Centre for AI and Data Governance, 19 February 2021.
- Guest Speaker, Roundtable on “Future of Cyber Resilience” by GovInsider, 3 December 2020.
- Panellist, Virtual Consultations on “Global Implications of Terrorist Travel in the Southeast Asia Maritime Domain” by Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF), 19 November 2020.
- Panellist, APAC Connect Virtual Summit 2020: Digital Intelligence and the Future of Investigations on “What Is Really Happening on the Field – Tackling Modern Crimes” by Cellebrite, 3 November 2020.
- Guest Speaker, SAF Day 2020 Webinar on “Singapore’s Security Outlook in the Post-COVID World” by S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, 30 July 2020.
- Guest Speaker, Webinar on “Ending the COVID-19 Lockdown: Achieving Sustainable, Effective and Comprehensive Contact Tracing” by Cellebrite, 9 June 2020.
- Guest Speaker, Fireside Chat Panel Discussion on “Online Radicalisation: A Real Cause for Concern for Singapore?” by INSPIRIT National Youth Council, Singapore, 19 February 2020.
- Guest Speaker, Home Team Research Community-of-Practice Forum on “Hybrid Threats/Warfare” by Singapore Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), 29 November 2019.
- Guest Speaker, Seminar on “Behavioural Insights Behind Threats on the Cyber Frontier” by Singapore Home Team Behavioural Sciences Centre (HTBSC), 16 October 2019.
- Panellist, RSIS-SWP Dialogue 2019 on “Maintaining Strategic Autonomy in Times of Tectonic Shifts in Global Affairs” by S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies and German Institute for International and Security Affairs, 30 August 2019.
- Guest Speaker, Security Industry Conference (SIC) 2018 on “The Future of Security: A Fiction or Reality” by Security Industry Institute (SII), Temasek Polytechnic, 3 October 2018.
- Panellist, Stockholm Security Conference: Secure Cities in an Insecure World on “Artificial Intelligence For Law Enforcement: Opportunities and Challenges” by Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), 15 September 2017.
- Panellist, Conference on Smart Cities: Which Visions and Models for the 21st Century on “Urban Security Multiple Challenges” by Le Monde, 2 June 2017.
Last updated on 29/11/2022