Following links control the content below
Gulizar Haciyakupoglu is a Research Fellow at the Centre of Excellence for National Security (CENS), S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU). Her research explores deliberate attempts of manipulation in information space, influence operations, and trust investment and activism in online platforms. Her recent publications appeared in various academic and policy outlets, including the Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, Defence Strategic Communications, The Diplomat, and The Interpreter. She holds a Ph.D. with Lee Kong Chian scholarship from the National University of Singapore (NUS), Communications and New Media Department (CNM), and an MA in Political Communication from the University of Sheffield. She received her bachelor’s degree in Global and International Affairs from the Dual-Diploma Programme of the State University of New York (SUNY) Binghamton, and Bogazici University, Turkey.
Areas of Expertise
- Disinformation Campaigns and Influence Operations
- Trust in Cyberspace
- Internet, Communication and Authority
- Gender Equality Advocacy in Cyberspace
- Online Activism
Gender, Security and Digital Space: Issues, Policies, and the Way Forward
13 December, 2021
Countermeasures Against Foreign Interference
17 April, 2020
Cases of Foreign Interference in Asia
26 March, 2020
Countering Fake News: A Survey of Recent Global Initiatives
07 March, 2018
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Pandemic, Technology and Privacy: How Far Will the State Go?
12 June, 2020
Global Health Security - COVID-19: What Changes – and What Doesn’t
17 April, 2020
CENS & The High Commission of Canada Webinar Series On “Gender, Security and Digital Space : Exploring Risks, Opportunities, and Security Implications”
10 August, 2021
RSIS Workshop On Understanding And Countering Online Falsehoods And Influence Operations
05 March, 2020
CENS Workshop: The Age of Rages
29 April, 2019
Countering Extremism: Now What?
17 December, 2018
Commemorative / Event Reports
- “Haciyakupoglu, G. “The ‘Fake News’ Label and Politicisation of Malaysia’s Elections.” Defence Strategic Communications vol. 5, (Autumn 2018): 87-128. DOI” in Defence Strategic Communications, Vol. 5, 2, 2018, 87-128
- “Explosion of Meanings: Complexities Surrounding the Multiple Meanings of Martyrdom in the Context of Turkey” in Middle East - Topics & Arguments,, Vol. 8, 8, 2017, 97-04
- “Social Media and Trust during the Gezi Protests in Turkey” in Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 20, Issue 4, 2015, 450-466
Chapters in Edited Books
- “China’s Political Warfare in Taiwan: Strategies, Methods, and Global Implication” (with Michael Raska) in M. Weissmann, N. Nilsson, P. Thunholm and B. Palmertz (eds.) , Hybrid Warfare: Security and Asymmetric Conflict in International Relations. London, United Kingdom: I.B. Tauris, 2021, Chp 12
- “Social Media, Disruption and Disinformation: Staying Resilient in the Face of Disinformation Campaigns” in Mely Caballero-anthony and Margareth Sembiring, In Resilience in the Face of Disruption. Singapore: S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, 2019, pp. 32-45
- “Civilians in the Information Operations Battlefront: China’s Information Operations in the Taiwan Straits” (with Benjamin Ang) in Norman Vasu, Benjamin Ang and Shashi Jayakumar (Eds.), DRUMS: Distortions, Rumours, Untruths, Misinformation, and Smears. Singapore : World Scientific , 2019, 83-113
- China’s Social Credit System: Current Status, Role of Data and Surveillance, and Influence Outside of China, China’s Social Credit System: Current Status, Role of Data and Surveillance, and Influence Outside of China, Latvia, 7 June 2021
- “Haciyakupoglu, G. and Wu Shang-Su. “China’s Social Credit System: the black market and inequalities.” The Interpreter, Lowy Institute, March 18, 2019.” (with Wu Shang-Su), The Interpreter, 18 March 2019
- “Haciyakupoglu, G. “Southeast Asia’s Battle Against Disinformation.” Diplomat, February 12 2019”, Diplomat, 12 February 2019
- “Malaysia’s Elections and the Anti-Fake News Act”, The Diplomat, 26 April 2018
- Guest Lecturer, Political Communications and Digital Media Module at CNM NUS, 27 October 2021.
- Speaker, UN Women Webinar on Gender and Cyber Security, 20 October 2021.
- Lecturer, Role of Social Media in Influence Operations at the Advanced Domain Specialisation Course (ADSC), 18 October 2021.
Last updated on 04/04/2022