Dr Frederick Kliem
Dr Frederick Kliem
Following links control the content below
Dr Frederick Kliem is a Research Fellow and lecturer at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore. Frederick is with the Centre for Multilateralism Studies at RSIS, and his main research interests are regional integration and multilateralism in as well as the geopolitics of Asia and Europe. He teaches post-graduate courses on the geopolitics of Asia and regional order building. Specific research projects include the study of ASEAN and EU institutions, inter-regionalism and comparative regionalism as well as European Indo-Pacific engagement. He frequently appears on Singaporean as well as international TV, radio and print media as well as on numerous podcasts, including his own. In addition, Frederick is a regular guest lecturer at Singapore’s military officers’ academy (GKS Command and Staff College) as well as a freelance Consultant and a EU Key Expert on ASEAN-EU matters. His latest book is Great Power Competition and Order Building in the Indo-Pacific: Towards a New Indo-Pacific Equilibrium (London and New York: Routledge, 2022).
Areas of Expertise
- International Relations and Geopolitics in the Indo-Pacific
- Multilateralism and Multilateral Orders in Asia and Europe
- ASEAN, European Union, and ASEAN–EU Relations
- European Union Politics
- British Politics
- German Politics
- Regional Integration and Comparative Regionalism
The Geopolitics of the Mekong and A Radical Proposal for ASEAN to Navigate It
25 November, 2020
Regionalism and COVID-19: How EU-ASEAN Inter-regionalism Can Strengthen Pandemic Management
26 August, 2020
Thailand's ASEAN Chairmanship at Midterm: Three Key Issues to Watch After the 34th ASEAN Summit
12 September, 2019
Europeans in the Indo-Pacific: Getting Diplomacy Right
16 January, 2023
45 Years of EU-ASEAN Relations: A Forward-looking Agenda
13 December, 2022
Invasion of Ukraine - Joining EU, NATO: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
15 March, 2022
Invasion of Ukraine - Shaking Europe Out Of Complacency
09 March, 2022
Russia, NATO, and Ukraine: The Return of Spheres of Influence
07 February, 2022
Weaponising Migrants: Belarusian Blackmail and Multilateralism
22 November, 2021
German Warship in Asia: Berlin's Indo-Pacific Strategy?
24 August, 2021
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - EU’s Pandemic Management: Why More Credit Is Due
23 June, 2021
Xinjiang: Problem Ahead for European Industry?
07 June, 2021
EU Indo-Pacific Strategy: More than Meets the Eye
03 May, 2021
EU-China Sanctions Tussle: Winners and Losers
08 April, 2021
Post-Brexit: Enter the Mini-Brexits?
05 January, 2021
Germany and Indo-Pacific: Berlin’s ASEAN-Style Regionalism?
20 November, 2020
Germany’s Indo-Pacific Strategy: Can Berlin Contribute?
10 September, 2020
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Pandemic Recovery: No Need For US Leadership?
01 July, 2020
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - China-Taiwan Mask Diplomacy: Wooing Southeast Asia?
08 May, 2020
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impact - EU and ASEAN: In Common Disunity
27 April, 2020
Global Health Security - Coronabonds: Backdoor to Collective Debt?
14 April, 2020
Global Health Security - China’s Medical Diplomacy: How to Turn a Black Swan White
03 April, 2020
Coming End of Merkel's Era: Whither Future European Leadership?
18 February, 2020
Vietnam’s ASEAN Chairmanship 2020: What To Expect
04 February, 2020
The “Brexit Election”: A View From Europe
10 December, 2019
ASEAN–EU Partnership: How “Strategic” is Europe’s Approach?
05 November, 2019
The Success of the German Greens: Why It Matters to Asia
30 September, 2019
ASEAN’s Indo-Pacific Dilemma: Where To From Here?
06 August, 2019
EU’s New Commission Leadership: What It Means For Asia
22 July, 2019
Germany in the Indo-Pacific: New Security Actor?
18 July, 2019
EU Elections and Democracy: Choosing Leaders Over Dinner
24 May, 2019
IP22004 | A German Warship in Asia: Debunking Myths and Misconceptions
09 February, 2022
- Great Power Competition and Order Building in the Indo-Pacific: Towards a New Indo-Pacific Equilibrium. United Kingdom: Routledge, 2022
- The Perpetual Promise of ASEAN: A Supply and Demand Analysis of the ASEAN Political Security Community. Germany: Rostock University E-publications, 2016
- “The EU Strategy on Cooperation in the Indo-Pacific: A Meaningful Regional Complement?” in Panorama: Insights into Asian and European Affairs, 2022
- “ASEAN and the EU amidst COVID-19: Overcoming the Self-fulfilling Prophecy of Realism” in Asia Europe Journal, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2021
- “COVID-19 and International Cooperation: IR Paradigms at Odds” (with Rajesh Basrur) in SN Social Sciences, Vol. 1, Article 7, 2021
- “Why Quasi-Alliances will persist in the Indo-Pacific. The Fall and Rise of the Quad” in Journal of Asian Security and International Affairs, 7, 3, 2020
- “Asia’s Troubled River: Dam(n)ing or Managing the Mekong?” in Journal of Greater Mekong Studies, 2020
- “Hang Together! The Case for Unity in EU Trade Negotiations with China” in Panorama: Trade and Economic Connectivity in an Age of Uncertainty, 2019, pp. 59-70
- “The Strategic Role of Trade in EU-ASEAN Relations” in Panorama Journal, Insights into Asian and European Affairs, No. 1, 2019
- “Building a Nation, Building a People. Public housing in Singapore as a Holistic, Multi-dimensional Public Policy Construct” in International Reports, Vol. 3, 2018, pp. 1-13
- “ASEAN Imperfect: The Changing Nature of Southeast Asian Regionalism” in Panorama Journal: Insights into Asian and European Affairs, 1, N.A., 2018, 23-33
- “Coercive Water-Diplomacy: Playing Politics with the Mekong” (with Rabea Brauer) in International Reports, Vol. 3, N.A., 2017. pp. 1-12
- “[email protected]: Celebrating Five Decades of Regional Stability” in KAS Country Reports, N.A., N.A., 2017, 1-12
- “The perpetual promise of ASEAN: A supply and demand analysis of the ASEAN Political Security Community” in , , , 2017,
Edited Books / Special Issues
- ASEAN Security Connectivity: Regional Solutions to Regional Problems. Singapore: Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, 2019
Chapters in Edited Books
- “Regional Security: Legacies and New Challenges” in Michael K. Connors, Rémy Davison, and Jörn Dosch (Eds.), The New Global Politics of the Asia-Pacific: Conflict and Cooperation in the Asian Century. Oxford: Routledge, 2018, N.A.
- “Finding the Middle-Ground: EU-China Relations”, Hinrich Foundation, 6 December 2022
- “How the Indonesian Chairmanship can revitalise ASEAN”, Jakarta Post, 17 October 2022
- “Should ASEAN Take a Stronger Position on the Ukraine War?”, The Diplomat, 26 August 2022
- “How the EU Can Still Succeed in the Indo-Pacific Despite the War in Ukraine”, The Diplomat, 28 May 2022
- “Europe’s Global Gateway: Complementing or Competing With BRI?”, The Diplomat, 7 December 2021
- “The German Elections and Angela Merkel’s China Legacy”, The Diplomat, 13 October 2021
- “Germany set to toughen China stance under new coalition”, Nikkei Asian Review, 3 October 2021
- “Germany’s supply chain law will further complicate China relations”, Nikkei Asian Review, 15 July 2021
- “As Europe opens up for travel, East Asia should take notes”, South China Morning Post, 11 June 2021
- “Is ASEAN too ‘Far East’ or just right for Global Britain?”, East Asia Forum, 4 June 2021
- “Why German Industry is Looking Past China to the Rest of Asia”, Nikkei Asia, 1 December 2020
- “A China management strategy with ASEAN at its centre”, East Asia Forum, 27 August 2020
- “Leveraging ASEAN to respond to COVID-19”, East Asia Forum, 21 May 2020
- “Realism and the Coronavirus”, E-International Relations, 11 April 2020
- “Punishing Cambodia is going to backfire on EU”, Nikkei Asian Review, 14 February 2020
- “Post-Brexit UK should prioritize Southeast Asia trade deals”, Nikkei Asian Review, 30 January 2020
IR6013 Asian Security Order
Last updated on 15/09/2022