Following links control the content below
Frederick Kliem is a Visiting Fellow at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore. Frederick’s research interests include regional integration and multilateralism in Asia and Europe. At the Centre for Multilateralism Studies, he studies ASEAN, Southeast Asia and geopolitics in the Indo-Pacific, as well as the European Union and comparative regionalism. In addition, Frederick is freelance Consultant and Key Expert on ASEAN-EU matters to EU consortia in Brussels. Before joining RSIS, Frederick was Senior Programme Manager at the political foundation Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung in Singapore.
Areas of Expertise
- International Relations and Geopolitics in the Indo-Pacific
- Multilateralism and Multilateral Orders in Asia and Europe
- ASEAN, European Union, and ASEAN–EU Relations
- Regional Integration and Comparative Regionalism
- Chinese Foreign Policy in Asia and Europe
Thailand's ASEAN Chairmanship at Midterm: Three Key Issues to Watch After the 34th ASEAN Summit
12 September, 2019
ASEAN–EU Partnership: How “Strategic” is Europe’s Approach?
05 November, 2019
The Success of the German Greens: Why It Matters to Asia
30 September, 2019
ASEAN’s Indo-Pacific Dilemma: Where To From Here?
06 August, 2019
EU’s New Commission Leadership: What It Means For Asia
22 July, 2019
Germany in the Indo-Pacific: New Security Actor?
18 July, 2019
EU Elections and Democracy: Choosing Leaders Over Dinner
24 May, 2019
- Kliem, F 2018, The perpetual promise of ASEAN: A supply and demand analysis of the ASEAN Political Security Community, Rostock University E-publications.. Germany: University of Rostock, 2017
- "Kliem, F 2019, “The Strategic Role of Trade in EU-ASEAN Relations”, Panorama Journal: Insights into Asian and European Affairs, vol. 1, pp. 59-71." in Panorama , Insights into Asian and European Affairs, 1, 2019, N.A.
- "Kliem, F 2018, “Building a Nation, Building a People. Public housing in Singapore as a holistic, multi-dimensional public policy construct”, International Reports 3-2018." in International Reports, 3, N.A., 2018, 1-13
- "Kliem, F 2018, “ASEAN Imperfect: The Changing Nature of Southeast Asian Regionalism”, Panorama Journal: Insights into Asian and European Affairs, vol. 1, pp. 23-33." in Panorama Journal: Insights into Asian and European Affairs, 1, N.A., 2018, 23-33
- "Brauer, R & Kliem, F 2017, “Coercive Water-Diplomacy: Playing Politics with the Mekong,” International Reports 3-2017, October. " in International Reports, 3, N.A., 2017, 1-12
- "Kliem, F 2017, “[email protected]: Celebrating Five Decades of Regional Stability”, KAS Country Reports, August 2017." in KAS Country Reports, N.A., N.A., 2017, 1-12
Chapters in Edited Books
- "Dosch, J & Kliem, F 2017, “Regional Security: Legacies and New Challenges,” in M. K. Connors, R Davison, & J Dosch (eds.), The New Global Politics of the Asia-Pacific: Conflict and Cooperation in the Asian Century, 3rd Edition, Routledge, Oxford, pp. 193-211." in Michael K. Connors, Rémy Davison, & Jörn Dosch (eds.), The New Global Politics of the Asia-Pacific: Conflict and Cooperation in the Asian Century. Oxford: Routledge, 2018, N.A.
RSIS Modules Taught
IR6013 Asian Security Order
Last updated on 21/08/2019