Following links control the content below
Frederick Kliem is a Visiting Fellow at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore. Frederick’s research interests include regional integration and multilateralism in Asia and Europe. At the Centre for Multilateralism Studies, he studies ASEAN, Southeast Asia and geopolitics in the Indo-Pacific, as well as the European Union and comparative regionalism. In addition, Frederick is freelance Consultant and Key Expert on ASEAN-EU matters to EU consortia in Brussels. Before joining RSIS, Frederick was Senior Programme Manager at the political foundation Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung in Singapore.
Areas of Expertise
- International Relations and Geopolitics in the Indo-Pacific
- Multilateralism and Multilateral Orders in Asia and Europe
- ASEAN, European Union, and ASEAN–EU Relations
- European Union Politics
- British Politics
- German Politics
- Regional Integration and Comparative Regionalism
Thailand's ASEAN Chairmanship at Midterm: Three Key Issues to Watch After the 34th ASEAN Summit
12 September, 2019
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - China-Taiwan Mask Diplomacy: Wooing Southeast Asia?
08 May, 2020
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impact - EU and ASEAN: In Common Disunity
27 April, 2020
Global Health Security - Coronabonds: Backdoor to Collective Debt?
14 April, 2020
Global Health Security - China’s Medical Diplomacy: How to Turn a Black Swan White
03 April, 2020
Coming End of Merkel's Era: Whither Future European Leadership?
18 February, 2020
Vietnam’s ASEAN Chairmanship 2020: What To Expect
04 February, 2020
The “Brexit Election”: A View From Europe
10 December, 2019
ASEAN–EU Partnership: How “Strategic” is Europe’s Approach?
05 November, 2019
The Success of the German Greens: Why It Matters to Asia
30 September, 2019
ASEAN’s Indo-Pacific Dilemma: Where To From Here?
06 August, 2019
EU’s New Commission Leadership: What It Means For Asia
22 July, 2019
Germany in the Indo-Pacific: New Security Actor?
18 July, 2019
EU Elections and Democracy: Choosing Leaders Over Dinner
24 May, 2019
- Kliem, F 2018, The perpetual promise of ASEAN: A supply and demand analysis of the ASEAN Political Security Community, Rostock University E-publications.. Germany: University of Rostock, 2017
Chapters in Edited Books
- “Regional Security: Legacies and New Challenges” in Michael K. Connors, Rémy Davison, and Jörn Dosch (Eds.), The New Global Politics of the Asia-Pacific: Conflict and Cooperation in the Asian Century. Oxford: Routledge, 2018, N.A.
Edited Books / Special Issues
- ASEAN Security Connectivity. Regional Solutions to Regional Problems. Singapore: Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, 2019
- “Asia’s Troubled River: Dam(n)ing or Managing the Mekong?” in Journal of Greater Mekong Studies, 2020
- “Hang Together! The Case for Unity in EU Trade Negotiations with China” in Panorama: Trade and Economic Connectivity in an Age of Uncertainty, 2019, pp. 59-70
- “The Strategic Role of Trade in EU-ASEAN Relations” in Panorama Journal, Insights into Asian and European Affairs, No. 1, 2019
- “Building a Nation, Building a People. Public housing in Singapore as a Holistic, Multi-dimensional Public Policy Construct” in International Reports, Vol. 3, 2018, pp. 1-13
- “ASEAN Imperfect: The Changing Nature of Southeast Asian Regionalism” in Panorama Journal: Insights into Asian and European Affairs, 1, N.A., 2018, 23-33
- “Coercive Water-Diplomacy: Playing Politics with the Mekong” (with Rabea Brauer) in International Reports, Vol. 3, N.A., 2017. pp. 1-12
- “[email protected]: Celebrating Five Decades of Regional Stability” in KAS Country Reports, N.A., N.A., 2017, 1-12
RSIS Modules Taught
IR6013 Asian Security Order
Last updated on 19/12/2019