Following links control the content below
Eddie Lim is the Head of Executive Programme at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS). Head EP oversees the executive education conducted by RSIS. These courses cover the key research of RSIS faculty; spanning International relations, geopolitics and defence. In this appointment, Eddie remains the coordinator of the Asia Pacific Programme for Senior Military Officers (APPSMO). Prior to this appointment, Eddie was Head of the Military Studies Programme (MSP) in IDSS, a component centre of RSIS, overseeing the executive education for SAF officers. Before he joined RSIS, he was the Head of Strategic Research at the Centre for Operational Learning (COL), situated with the SAFTI Military Institute (SAFTI MI). In this capacity, Eddie oversaw relevant research at the strategic and operational levels, and contextualised it for educational purposes for the SAF. Prior to COL, Eddie was a Senior Lecturer at the Military Studies Branch (MSB), lecturing the courses which the MSP undertakes today. After serving his bond with the Public Service Commission, Eddie attended then-IDSS and attained a Master of Science (Strategic Studies). Eddie is still serving as a Lieutenant Colonel in the SAF as an Operationally-Ready NSman, having attended most of the courses at SAFTI MI, culminating in the National Service Command and Staff Course (NSCSC). He is the co-author for ASEAN 50: Regional Security Cooperation Through Selected Documents and is on the Editorial Board of POINTER Journal, the official journal of the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF).
Areas of Expertise
- ASEAN Affairs
- Civil-Military Relations
- Strategic Studies
- Military History
- President, RSIS Alumni Association
- Coordinator, United States Army War College Fellowship
- Coordinator, Asia-Pacific Programme for Senior Military Officers (APPSMO)
- Coordinator, RSIS MOU with Korean National Defense University (KNDU)
- Editorial Board, POINTER Journal
- Member, NTU Alumni Council
- ASEAN 50: Regional Security Cooperation through Selected Documents (with Daniel Chua). Singapore: World Scientific, 2017
- “Book review of ‘Khaki Capital: The Political Economy of the Military in Southeast Asia’ by Paul Chambers and Napisa Waitoolkiat (Copenhagen: Nordic Institute of Asian Studies Press, 2017).” in Pacific Affairs, Vol.93, No. 3, 2020
Chapters in Edited Books
- “RSIS, Military Education, and Defence Diplomacy” (with Daniel Chua) in Alan Chong, Forward Engagement: RSIS as a Think Tank of International Studies and Security in the Asia-Pacific. Singapore: World Scientific, 2017, 105-111
- “How We Fight: The Cadillac of Our Homeland” in SAF, 2nd People’s Defence Force: Steadfast We Stand 50th Anniversary. Singapore: MINDEF, 2015, 96-97
- Professional Military Education (PME), Professional Military Education (PME), SNA Research Grant Report , 31 March 2020
- Keynote Speaker, Conference for Developing Elite Reserve Forces for Future Security Environment on “Singapore’s National Service Policy” by the Korean National Defense University (KNDU), Nonsan, South Korea, October 2019.
- Panellist, the Indo-Pacific Army Chiefs Conference (IPACC) on “Enduring Frameworks for ASEAN HADR Operations: Case-Study of Sulawesi Earthquake Sept 2018”, by US Army Pacific Command (USARPAC) and the Royal Thai Army (RTA), Bangkok, Thailand, Sep 2019.
- Guest-of-Honour, the Dunman High ASEAN Plus Summit (DHAP) on “ASEAN – Survival and Leadership in a Changing Neighbourhood” at the Dunman High School, Singapore, June 2019.
- Speaker, Promoting Cooperation Within ADMM And ADMM Plus Workshop on “New Initiatives Within ASEAN Defence Cooperation: Singapore’s Perspectives”, by Vietnam’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Hanoi, Vietnam, Mar 2019.
- Speaker, the ASEAN Regional Forum Heads of Defense Universities/Colleges/Institutions Meeting (ARF HDUCIM) on “Emerging Security Challenges, Capacity Building and International Cooperation” by the National Institute of Defense Studies (NIDS), Tokyo, Japan, Sep 2018.
- Speaker, “Singapore as ASEAN Chair” at the Royal Bruneian Armed Forces Command and Staff College (RBAF CSC), Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei, Apr 2018.
- Speaker, “South China Sea issue from the perspectives of Southeast Asian Nations” at the Korean National Defense University (KNDU), Seoul, South Korea, Mar 2017.
- Distinguished Speaker, the Joint Senior Leadership Course, “Territorial Disputes in the South China Sea” at the SAF Warrant Officers’ School, Singapore, Aug 2016.
- Speaker, Information Operations Seminar on “Comparative Studies on Attribution in Information Operations”, MINDEF, Singapore, Nov 2015.
- Speaker, 5th Goh Keng Swee Command and Staff College Seminar on “Strategic Narrative and Social Media” at the Goh Keng Swee Command and Staff College (GKS CSC), Singapore, Oct 2015.
- Speaker, Information Operations Seminar on “Just War Theory and International Humanitarian Law” at MINDEF, Singapore Nov 2014.
- Speaker, 2nd Goh Keng Swee Command and Staff College Seminar on “Defence Diplomacy in Smart Power” at the Goh Keng Swee Command and Staff College, Singapore, Nov 2012.
- Speaker, 3rd ASEAN Youth Convention on “Terrorism Threats in Southeast Asia: Media and Self-Radicalisation” by the Global Youth Congress International, Singapore, Jul 2011.
- Speaker, 3rd Global Youth Conference on “Global Crises: Terrorism” by the Global Youth Congress International, Singapore, March 2011.
- Speaker, RSIS Multilateralism Programme Seminar on “Defence Diplomacy in Southeast Asia” by RSIS, Singapore, Nov 2010.
- Speaker, “Singapore’s Foreign Policy” at the National Institute of Education (NIE), Singapore, Feb 2005.
- Workshop Speaker, “Counter-Terrorism as National Education” at the Ministry of Education (MOE), Singapore, April 2004.
- Workshop Speaker, Teachers’ Network Conference 2002 on “Synectics – The Art of Word Abuse” by the Ministry of Education (MOE), Singapore, June 2002.
Last updated on 14/04/2021