Following links control the content below
- Areas of Expertise
- Professional Activities
- RSIS Publications
- External Publications
- RSIS Modules Taught
ONG WEICHONG is an Assistant Professor at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University. He is attached to the Military Studies Programme at the school’s constituent unit, the Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies (IDSS). He is Course Director of the Campaign and War Studies (CWS) and Operations Other than War (OOTW) modules at the Goh Keng Swee Command and Staff College (GKS CSC), Singapore. He has also taught at the advanced school and officer cadet school levels at SAFTI Military Institute, Singapore. He was also coordinator of the Asia Pacific Programme for Senior Military Officers (APPSMO). In national service, Weichong is a Functional Specialist Support Staff Officer (Army) with the Singapore Armed Forces. In addition, he was an Affiliated Researcher with the Department of Leadership and Management, Swedish National Defence College and a Guest Professor at the Ecole Navale, France.
Weichong completed his doctoral studies with the Centre for the Study of War, State and Society, University of Exeter, UK in 2010 where he was a recipient of research grants from the University of Exeter and the Royal Historical Society. His other grants include a 3-year (2017-2020) Ministry of Education Academic Research Grant (AcRF) Tier 1 grant for a research project on Cold War Insurgency. He is also an alumnus of the Phillip Merrill Center for Strategic Studies Basin Harbor Workshop, SAIS, Johns Hopkins (2013).
Weichong’s articles, commentaries and op-eds have been published in the journal and magazine of the Singapore Armed Forces (Pointer and Pioneer); RUSI Journal; Armed Forces and Society; The Pacific Review: Defence Studies; The National Interest; The Diplomat: Australian Defence Force Journal; Journal of Southeast Asian Studies; Straits Times; Today; Lianhe Zaobao; Berita Harian; Defense News; ; RSIS Commentary Series; Canadian Naval Review; and Diplomatie.
Areas of Expertise
- Military History
- Strategic Studies
- War Studies
- Expeditionary Operations
- Civil-Military Relations
- Media/Information Operations
- Affiliated Researcher, Department of Leadership and Management, Swedish National Defence College, 2010-2012
- Guest Professor, Ecole Navale, France, 2013-2014
Voice of Malayan Revolution: The CPM Radio War against Singapore and Malaysia, 1969-1981
30 June, 2009
WP136 | War As They Knew It: Revolutionary War and Counterinsurgency in Southeast Asia
29 August, 2007
WP116 | ‘Voice of the Malayan Revolution’: The Communist Party of Malaya’s Struggle for Hearts and Minds in the ‘Second Malayan Emergency’(1969-1975)
13 October, 2006
Singapore’s Military History: Look Beyond World War II
13 February, 2019
CO15260 | Singapore Story 2.0: Strengthening the Core
30 November, 2015
CO14072 | Singaporean Heroes in Uniform: They are amongst us
17 April, 2014
CO14031 | Securing Peace and Security for Singapore: Turning Constraints into Opportunities
14 February, 2014
CO13223 | The Evolution of National Service in the Singapore Story
05 December, 2013
CO13191 | The Second Emergency (1968-1989): A Reassessment of CPM's Armed Revolution
10 October, 2013
CO13181 | The Demise of Chin Peng: End of the Classical Counterinsurgency Era?
02 October, 2013
CO12025 | Fall of Singapore 70 Years On: Continuity and Change in Security Environment
13 February, 2012
CO11060 | The Need for Engagement in Singapore’s Defence Policies
21 April, 2011
CO11035 | Humanitarian Intervention From Above:‘No-fly Zone’ Over Libya?
04 March, 2011
CO11025 | Singapore’s Total Defence: Shaping The Pillars
21 February, 2011
CO10172 | The ‘Wikileaks Effect’: Information Warfare and ‘Battle for the Truth’
16 December, 2010
CO10118 | Alternative Narratives: Why I Wrote It
17 September, 2010
CO10113 | Alternative Narratives: The Danger of Romanticising the Other
14 September, 2010
CO10103 | The Youth Olympic Games: Finessing the SAF’s ‘Whole of Nation’ Expertise
31 August, 2010
CO10087 | Singapore's Citizen Army: Bridging the Civil-Military Praxis
03 August, 2010
CO10057 | Sinking of the Cheonan: Rethinking Littoral Warfare
31 May, 2010
CO10044 | The Singapore Story: More Than a State-imposed Narrative
29 April, 2010
CO10022 | Singapore’s New Ground for Overseas Military Training: The Case for Timor-Leste
22 February, 2010
CO10006 | Singapore’s Defence Spending: A Long-term Approach
13 January, 2010
CO09125 | Relevance of the Singapore Armed Forces: A Journey into Singaporeaness
14 December, 2009
CO09108 | Future Soldier Systems: Promise or Hubris of the Network-centric Infantryman
05 November, 2009
CO09091 | The Inter-National Serviceman of the SAF: Citizen Soldiers in Overseas Missions
12 October, 2009
CO09067 | Reflections on the 40th SAF Day and Beyond
13 July, 2009
CO09050 | Military Defeat of the Tamil Tigers: From Velvet Glove to Iron Fist
27 May, 2009
CO09013 | Israel's Propaganda War in Gaza: Losing the Moral High Ground
04 February, 2009
CO09005 | More than Warfighters: Role of ‘Strategic Corporals’ in the SAF
12 January, 2009
CO08125 | In Defence of Singapore’s Military History
28 November, 2008
CO08095 | Caucasus: Winning the Shooting War, Losing the Media Battle
05 September, 2008
CO08063 | Dealing with Bombs in Rural Exeter: Global Threat, Local Response
10 June, 2008
CO08057 | Steel Sharks: China’s Growing Submarine Fleet
05 May, 2008
- Ong, Wei Chong. Malaysia's Defeat of Armed Communism: Securing the Population from Subversion in the Second Emergency 1968-1981. London & New York: Routledge, forthcoming October 2014.
- Singapore’s New Military History: A Military History from a Non-War Fighting Past
- Ong, Wei Chong; Yee Kuang Heng. “The Quest for Relevance in Times of Peace: Operations Other Than War and the Third Generation Singapore Armed Forces” in Chiyuki AOI & Yee Kuang Heng (eds.), Asia-Pacific Nations in International Peace Support and Stability Operations. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Ong, Wei Chong. “From Reticence to Norm? The Evolving Expeditionary Mindset and Role of the Singapore Armed Forces” in Gerhard Kummel & Henrik Furst (eds.), Core Values and the Expeditionary Mindset: Armed Forces in Metamorphosis. Baden-Baden: NOMOS Verlag, 2011.
- Ong, Wei Chong; Wang Gungwu, (eds.) Voice of Malayan Revolution: The CPM Radio War Against Malaysia and Singapore (1969-1981). Singapore: RSIS, 2009.
- The Rise of Hybrid Actors in the Asia-Pacific
- Ong, Wei Chong; Alan Chong. “Waging Small Wars in the New Millennium: Chameleonic Missions and Virtual Aggression—An Introduction”, Armed Forces & Society, 40(1), January 2014.
- Ong, Wei Chong. “Breaking the Bamboo Ceiling: Drawing Lessons from the Wars of Others in Post-Mao China and Post-Colonial Singapore”, RUSI Journal, 158(4), August 2013.
- Ong, Wei Chong; Manaswini Ramkumar. “Operations Other Than War in a Coalition Environment: Opportunities and Challenges for Modern Armed Forces”, Pointer, 38(3), 2012.
- Ramkumar, Manaswini; Ong Wei Chong. Editorial Note for Pointer, Special Issue on “Operations Other Than War in a Coalition Environment: Opportunities and Challenges for Modern Armed Forces”, October 2012.
- Ong, Wei Chong. “A View from Singapore – More than Warfighters: the Role of Strategic Corporals”, Australian Defence Force Journal, 107, 2012.
- Ong, Wei Chong. “Peripheral to Norm? The Expeditionary Role of the Third Generation Singapore Armed Forces”, Defence Studies, 11(3), September 2011.
- Ong, Wei Chong; Bernard Loo. “Fighting Small Wars in the New Century: Questions and Insights for the SAF”, Pointer, 37(2), 2011.
- Ong, Wei Chong. “Tempering the Elemental Force of People’s War”, Pointer, 36(1), 2010.
- Ong, Wei Chong. “Book Review of Malaya's Secret Police 1945-60: The Role of the Special Branch in the Malayan Emergency”, RUSI Journal, 153(5), October, 2008.
- Ong, Wei Chong. “Book Review of The Asian Military Revolution: From Gunpowder to the Bomb”, RUSI Journal, 154(3), June 2009.
- Ong, Wei Chong. “Blitzkrieg: Revolution or Evolution?”, RUSI Journal, 152(6), December 2007.
RSIS Modules Taught
Last updated on 25/01/2019