The Ngee Ann Kongsi Professorship in International Relations
The Ngee Ann Kongsi Professorship in International Relations was established on 27 November 2007 through a donation of S$3 million from The Ngee Ann Kongsi and a matching grant from the Singapore Government. Income from the endowment will be used to engage renowned scholars in international relations to teach and to research at RSIS.
The Ngee Ann Kongsi has a long history of promoting education in Singapore and Nanyang Technological University has benefited from its many generous donations. The University’s association with The Ngee Ann Kongsi began in the 1990s when the kongsi donated S$1 million to the Chinese Heritage Centre located in the University. In 2005, The Ngee Ann Kongsi also donated S$1.5 million to set up The Ngee Ann Kongsi Professorship in Traditional Chinese Medicine to help build up the University’s expertise in traditional Chinese medicine. Besides these, it has also awarded many scholarships and bursaries to students at NTU over the years.
The Endowed Professorships at RSIS are detailed HERE.
The scholars who held this Chair previously are listed below, and their talks are accessible at the link given.
- Professor Wang Jisi, Founding President, Institute of International and Strategic Studies, Peking University, China, from 2 to 8 April 2023
- Professor Rana Mitter, Professor of the History and Politics of Modern China, University of Oxford, 14 September 2021 (Webinar)
- Dr Stephen Roach, Senior Fellow, Jackson Institute of Global Affairs, and Senior Lecturer, School of Management, Yale University, USA, 15 July 2021 (Webinar)
- Professor Steve Chan, College Professor of Distinction, University of Colorado, Boulder, from 25 August to 6 September 2019
- Professor Evelyn Goh, Shedden Professor of Strategic Policy Studies, and Director of Research, Strategic and Defence Studies Centre, Australian National University, from 31 July to 27 August 2018
- Ambassador Oh Joon, Professor of United Nations Studies, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, from 30 July to 26 August 2017
- Professor Jia Qingguo, Dean, School of International Studies, Peking University, from 31 July to 13 August 2016
- Professor T.V. Paul, James McGill Professor of International Relations, Department of Political Science, McGill University, Canada, from 2 to 16 August 2014
- Professor Stuart Croft, Pro Vice Chancellor for Research (Arts and Social Sciences), The University of Warwick, from 21 August to 7 September 2013
- Professor William Terry Tow, Professor of the Department of International Relations, School of International, Political and Strategic Studies, College of Asia and Pacific, Australian National University, from 15 July to 30 November 2012
- Professor David Shambaugh, Professor of Political Science and International Affairs; Director, China Program at George Washington University; and Senior Fulbright Research Scholar at Chinese Academy of Social Sciences’ Institute of World Economics and Politics, from 9 to 20 March 2011
- Professor Sumit Ganguly, Tagore Professor in the Department of Political Science at Indiana University, from 1 February to 31 May 2010
- Professor Zhang Yunling, Professor of International Economics and Director of the Division of International Studies, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, from 26 October to 7 November 2008
Last updated on 17/04/2023