Following links control the content below
Wu Shang-su obtained a PhD degree from the New South Wales University, Australia, and a master degree of international relations from the National Taiwan University. Before joining the RSIS, he had worked at the National Defense University and the Legislative Yuan in Taiwan.
Areas of Expertise
- Small States’ Security
- Security Issues of Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines and Taiwan
- People’s Liberation Army.
- Assistant Professor, National Defense University, Taiwan, 2013-Present
CO18034 | ‘Indo-Pacific’ vs ‘Asia-Pacific’: Contending Visions?
28 February, 2018
CO17020 | Frictions on the New Silk Road
25 January, 2017
CO16188 | The Singapore-KL High Speed Rail: Tracking the Challenges Ahead
22 July, 2016
CO16030 | Ageing Arsenals in Southeast Asia: Impact on Military Modernisation
10 February, 2016
CO15202 | Taiwan’s Continued Conscription: An Unresolved Problem
23 September, 2015
CO15108 | Russia’s Railroad Technology: New Source for Southeast Asia?
06 May, 2015
CO14071 | Taiwan’s Indigenous Submarine: A Viable Project?
16 April, 2014
CO14051 | Taiwan’s Defence: Towards an All-Volunteer Military?
17 March, 2014
- Wu, Shang Su, The Defence Capabilities of Small States: Singapore and Taiwan’s Responses to Strategic Desperation. Palgrave Macmillan UK, 2016.
- Developmental Railpolitics: The Political Economy of China’s High-Speed Rail Projects in Thailand and Indonesia
- Taiwan’s Defense under the Tsai Administration
- Wu, Shang-Su. "Vietnam: A Case of Military Obsolescence in Developing Countries,” The Pacific Review 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09512748.2018.1428676.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “The modern naval fortress: an additional sea denial option for coastal states,” Defence Studies, 18 (1), 2018, pp. 76-94.
- Wu, Shang-Su. "The Development of Vietnam’s Sea Denial Strategy,” Naval War College Review, 70 (1), 2017, pp. 143-161.
- Wu, Shang-Su, “Nuclear Disaster in Taiwan: a multidimensional security challenge”, Global Change, Peace & Security: formerly Pacifica Review: Peace, Security & Global Change, Vol. 28, Issue 3, 2016, pp. 289-305.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Struggle for Basic Defence Capacity: The National Defence of the Philippines in the Post Marcos Era,” Taiwan Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, 10(1): October 2014, pp. 71-108.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Taiwan in the Cross Strait Arms Dynamics: Past and Present,” International Journal of China Studies, 5(1): April 2014, pp. 107-135.
- Myanmar: A New Pattern of China-Japan Interactions?
- The Trouble With the Lancang Mekong Cooperation Forum
- Coast Guard build-up: Taiwan’s approach to the South China Sea
- Redundancy and Risk Management: Lessons from Japan’s Disasters for Southeast Asian Infrastructure
- Competition and Neutrality of Southeast Asian States in Indo-Pacific Strategy
- Teck-Boon Tan and Shang-Su Wu. “Policy Ramifications of Industry 4.0.” Global-Is-Asian, 30 January 2018. http://global-is-asian.nus.edu.sg/index.php/policy-ramifications-industry-4-0/
- Wu, Shang-Su, "The Weak Points in Vietnam's Military", The Diplomat, 27 June 2017.
- Lim, Eddie and Wu, Shang-Su, "Myanmar's Military Modernisation: Impressive, but Challenges Ahead", RUSI Defence Systems, 2 March 2017. Available at: https://rusi.org/publication/rusi-defence-systems/myanmar%E2%80%99s-military-modernisation-impressive-challenges-ahead.
- Ho, Ben and Wu Shang-Su. "Taiwan's Interest in Aegis Warships: Would They Make Operational Sense During Cross-Strait Hostilities?", RUSI Defence Systems, October 31, 2016. https://rusi.org/publication/rusi-defence-systems/taiwan’s-interest-aegis-warships-would-they-make-operational-sense.
- Wu Shang-Su, "Singapore-Kunming Rail Link: A 'Belt and Road' Case Study", The Diplomat, 17 June 2016.
- Wu, Shang-Su, “Taiwan’s New President Will Have to Play Nice with China,” The National Interest, May 24, 2016.
- Wu Shang-Su, “Malaysia’s Antique Arms: Moderate but Continuous”, Daily News: Asian Defence Technology, 15th Defence Services Asia Exhibition & Conference 2016, April 19, 2016.
- Wu, Shang-Su, "Aquino's Military Modernization: Unprecedented But Insufficient", The Diplomat, March 23, 2016.
- Wu, Shang-Su, "Taiwan's South China Sea Dilemma", The Diplomat, February 12, 2016.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Commentary: The Gradual Undermining of Taiwan,” Defense News, February 9, 2015.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Opposition Ascendancy Won’t Release Taiwan from China’s Grip,” the Diplomat, December 8, 2014.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “A Possible Nuclear Disaster in Taiwan: An International Crisis in East Asia,” Australian Outlook, August 6, 2014.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Naval Fortresses: An Old Concept for a New Era?” the Diplomat, August 5, 2014.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Asia-Pacific: A Step toward Historical Déjà Vu?” the Diplomat, July 12, 2014.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Taiwan: An Emerging Asset for Chinese Expansion?”, the Diplomat, June 3, 2014
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Taiwan in the Cross Strait Arms Dynamics: Past and Present”, International Journal of China Studies, 5(1), April 2014, pp. 107-135.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Indigenous Submarine an Unlikely Dream for Taiwan”, the Diplomat, March 21, 2014.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Diaspora + Fait Accompli: A New Formula for Force Projection?”, the Diplomat, March 13, 2014.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Taiwan: Another Step Towards Integration?”, the Diplomat, January 27, 2014.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Taiwan’s All-Volunteer Military”, the Diplomat, December 25, 2013.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Beijing Priming Itself as A Norm Maker”, the Strait Times, December 6, 2013.
- Wu, Shang-Su. “Typhoon Haiyan and the Philippine Military,” the Diplomat, November 25, 2013.
Last updated on 16/12/2015