Following links control the content below
- Areas of Expertise
- Professional Activities
- RSIS Publications
- External Publications
- RSIS Modules Taught
Fengshi Wu (BA from Beijing University, PhD from University of Maryland), Associate Professor and Deputy Coordinator of the MSc in IR programme at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, is specialized in environmental politics, Chinese politics and global governance. Before joining RSIS (China Program), she was assistant and associate professor at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (2005-2013) and visiting fellow at the Harvard-Yenching Institute (2008-09). She was among the inaugural class of the Graduate Fellows of the American Academy of Political and Social Sciences (2004). She is a leading expert on China’s environmental politics and social activism, and her recent publications have appeared in the International Studies Quarterly, China Journal, VOLUMTAS (International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations), Issues and Studies, Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning, China Perspectives, Journal of Contemporary China, and Journal of Chinese Political Science.
Areas of Expertise
- Environmental Politics
- Chinese Politics
- Social Forces in Global Politics
- Political Transition
On the Editorial Board of the Global Environmental Politics
Member of the Editorial Board, China Review (since Nov. 2015)
Committee Chair, Sprout Award for best book on global environmental politics, Environmental Studies Section of International Studies Association, 2017-2018
RSIS Master Thesis Supervision:
- CHAN, Xin Ying, “Understanding the China’s Refugee Policy”, 2017
- GAN, Zheing Weii Damian, “Democratic Electoral Systems and the Environment of the Developing World”, 2017
- HEW, Guo You, “Environmental Disaster, Victims and Conflict: The Environment-Security Nexus in the Context of Southeast Asia,” 2017
- NING, Jie, “Does transition matter? Managing natural resources conflict in Myanmar”, 2016
- ZHANG, Yu, “Language Politics and Nationalism in Post-Soviet Kazakhstan”, 2016
- PANG, Eric, “Realize the Chinese Dream: One Belt-One Road as China’s New Round of State-Building”, 2016
- Shayus Shahida SHARIF, “Negotiating Working Motherhood in Japan”, 2015
Wilson Center , China Environment Forum, “The Changing Landscape of Environmental Public Participation and Protest in China” See more at: https://www.wilsoncenter.org/event/the-changing-landscape-environmental-public-participation-and-protest-china#sthash.JICKVjH1.dpuf
Interview on asylum seekers in Hong Kong https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrSgzZeetWc.
- Fengshi Wu and Hongzhou Zhang. eds. China's Global Quest for Resources: Energy, Food and Water (Routledge, 2016)
- Fengshi Wu and Hongzhou Zhang. 2016. " Introduction: a rising China and the future of world resources", in China's Global Quest for Resources: Energy, Food and Water edited by Fengshi Wu and Hongzhou Zhang (Routledge, 2016)
- Zhifei Li and Fengshi Wu. (2017) “China and shared water resources”, Chapter 4 in Fengshi Wu and Hongzhou Zhang (eds) China’s Global Quest for Resources (London and New York: Routledge), pp. 59-78.
- Wu Fengshi and Wen Bo. 2014. “Environmental Activism and Protest in East Asia,” in Graeme Lang and Paul Harris ed. Routledge Handbook of Environment and Society in Asia.
- Wu Fengshi. "Environmental Politics in China," in Political Science and Chinese Political Studies edited by Sujian Guo. New York: Springer, 2013
- Wu Fengshi. "Women and the Emerging Civil Society in China," in Asian Women and Education. Hanoi: Vietnam Academy of Social Science, 2011
- Wu Fengshi and Esook Yoon. "States and Environmental NGOs," in The Environmental Dimension of Asian Security: Conflict and Cooperation over Energy, Resources and Pollution edited by Miranda Schreurs and In-Taek Hyun. Washington DC: U.S. Institute for Peace Press, 2008
- Wu Fengshi, Elizabeth C. Economy and Jennifer L. Turner. "China's Growing Ecological Footprint: Global Threat or Opportunity for Collaboration?" in Strategies for Meeting 21st Century Security Threats: Perspectives from the United States, Russia and China edited by Paul J. Bolt, Sharyl Corss and Su Changhe. Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2008
Fengshi Wu. (2017) Guest editor of the special issue “Evolving State-Society Relations in China: Introduction,” China Review, 17/2.
- Fengshi Wu. (2017) “An Emerging Group Name ‘Gongyi’: Ideational Collectivity in China’s Civil Society,” China Review, 17/2: 123-150.
- Hongzhou Zhang and Fengshi Wu . 2017. "China’s Marine Fishery and Global Ocean Governance". Global Policy, DOI:10.1111/1758-5899.12419
- Fengshi Wu. (2017) “Having Peers and Becoming One?: Collective Consciousness among Civil Society Actors in China,” Journal of Contemporary China. (online first: DOI 10.1080/10670564.2017.1274820).
- Fengshi Wu (2106) “China’s Ascent in Global Governance and the Arctic,” Vestnik of Saint-Petersburg University. Ser. 6. Political science. International relations, (2016-2): 118–126. DOI: 10.21638/11701/spbu06.2016.211
- Fengshi Wu. (2016) “Zhongguo yu quanqiu zhili (China and Global Governance),” Zhanlue yu Guanli (Strategy and Management), Issue 2: 180-200. (in Chinese)
- H. Christoph Steindhart and Fengshi Wu. 2016. "In the name of the public: Environmental protest and the changing landscape of popular contention in China".The China Journal, Vol. 75: 61-82.
Fengshi Wu and Shen Yang. 2015. "Web 2.0 and Political Engagement in China". VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations. 28 July 2015. 10.1007/s11266-015-9627-6
- Wu Fengshi and Yuan Xu. "Sino-American Environmental Relations: The Potential of Trans-Societal Linkages," Issues and Studies 49(3): pp.73-110 (2013)
- Wu Fengshi. "Environmental Activism in Provincial China: Comparative Evidence from Guangdong and Guanxi," Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning 15(1): pp. 89-108 (2013)
- Wu Fengshi and Kin Man Chan. "Graduated Control and Beyond: The Evolving Governance over Social Organisations in China," China Perspectives 2012 (3): pp.9-17 (2012)
- Wu Fengshi. "The Left, Right and Neutral among Social Activists in China," Taiwan Journal of Democracy 8(2): pp. 25-34 (2012)
- Wu Fengshi. "Strategic State Engagement in Transnational Activism: AIDS Prevention in China," Journal of Contemporary China 20(71): pp.621-637 (2011)
- Wu Fengshi. Review of "The Struggle for Sustainability in Rural China: Environmental Values and Civil Society" by Bryan Tilt. Journal of Asian Studies 69 (4): 1212-1213, 2010
- Wu Fengshi. Review of "Heritage and Betrayal: A Treastise on the Emergence of Modern Science in Western Civilisation" by Fong-Ching Chen. New Frontiers in Asian Scholarship, 2010
- Wu Fengshi. "Environmental Politics in China: An Issue Area in Review," Journal of Chinese Political Science 14(4): pp. 383-406 (2009)
- Wu Fengshi. Review of "Clearing the Air: the health and economic damages of air pollution in China" edited by Mun S. Ho and Chris P. Nielsen. Asia-Pacific Economic Literature 22(1): 84-85, 2008
- Wu Fengshi, Ken Conca and Ciqi Mei. "Global Regime Formation or Complex Institution Building? The Principled Content of International River Agreements," International Studies Quarterly 50(2): pp.263-285 (2006)
- Wu Fengshi. "International Non-Governmental Actors in HIV/AIDS Prevention in China," Cell Research 15(Special Volume on HIV/AIDS Epidemic in China): 919-922 (2005)
- Wu Fengshi. "Environmental GONGO Autonomy: Unintended Consequences of State Strategies in China," Journal of the Good Society 12(1): pp. 35-45 (2004)
- Wu Fengshi. "Institutionalizing Public Participation in AIDS Governance in China," China Environmental Series 9, 2009
- Wu Fengshi. "Old Brothers or New Partners: GONGOs in Transnational Environmental Advocacy in China," China Environment Series 5, 2002
- Wu Fengshi. "Environmental Activism and Civil Society Development in China," Harvard-Yenching Institute Working Paper Series, 2009
- Wu Fengshi. "Environmental Security and Peace Advocacy: New Perspectives on International Relations between China and Central Asia," in Conference Proceedings of the First Asia-Euro International Academic Forum on "The New Silk Road and A Harmonious World Xi'an: Xi'an Jiaotong University Press, 2007
Last updated on 04/08/2017