Following links control the content below
Tan Seng Chye is Senior Fellow at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He is a Vice Chairman of the International Relations Committee of the Singapore Business Federation since August 2006.
Tan was a career Foreign Service Officer in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Singapore (1967-2005). He had served in a number of Singapore Missions overseas, which include Ambassador to Thailand (1988-1990) with concurrent accreditation as Ambassador to Myanmar, High Commissioner to Australia (1990-1993) with concurrent accreditation as Ambassador to Fiji, Ambassador to the Philippines (1994-1995), Ambassador to the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (1997-2000), and Ambassador to Vietnam (2002-2005). He was appointed Ambassador to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the year 2006. He had served in various positions in the Ministry and these included as Deputy Director of the Political Division (1982-1984), Director of the Policy, Planning and Analysis Directorate (PPA) 1 (Southeast Asia) (1984-1987), Director, Projects (1987-1988), Director, Technical Cooperation Directorate (1995-1997) and Director of Consular Directorate (2000-2002), who was also in charge of the Ministry’s Crisis Management Centre. Tan has attended many regional and international conferences. Tan was awarded the Outstanding Science Alumni Award by the National University of Singapore in November 2005.
Areas of Expertise
- Regional political and security architecture in Asia Pacific and major powers rivalry for influence
- ASEAN as an important neutral platform in East Asia for regional cooperation: ASEAN affairs and emerging trends
- Energy Security
- Maritime Security
- Developments in Southeast Asia and Northeast Asia
- Vice Chairman, International Relations Committee of Singapore Business Federation, 2006-present
- Member of Singapore delegation, Network of East Asian Think Tanks (NEAT) led by East Asian Institute, Singapore
- Manages Track II Network of ASEAN Defence and Security Institutions (NADI) Secretariat at RSIS and NADI Website
CO14098 | Thai Coup: Continued Political Divide and Uncertainty
23 May, 2014
CO14021 | Political Stalemate in Thailand: Continued uncertainty and tension
30 January, 2014
CO12129 | After the Phnom Penh AMM Failure: ASEAN needs to regain its cohesion and solidarity
16 July, 2012
CO10144 | Big Power Rivalry in East Asia: Will it Disrupt Regional Cooperation?
09 November, 2010
CO10131 | ADMM + 8: Adding Flesh to a New Regional Architecture
15 October, 2010
CO08112 | Rivalry for Political Change in Thailand
21 October, 2008
Chapters in Edited Books
- Tsjeng, Henrick Z., with Tan Seng Chye. “Military Medicine: Regional Relevance and Singapore’s View.” In Track II Network of ASEAN Defence and Security Institutions: NADI – Workshop on ‘Contribution of ACMM to Enhance Human Security,’ pp. 88-94. Bangkok: Strategic Studies Center, 2016.
- Tan, Seng Chye. “NADI: Supporting ADMM and Promoting Defence Diplomacy.” In Forward Engagement: RSIS as a Think-Tank of International Studies and Security in the Asia-Pacific, edited by Alan Chong, pp. 89-95. Singapore: World Scientific, 2016.
- Henrick Z. Tsjeng, Sarah Teo and Christabelle He, with Tan Seng Chye (ed). "Singapore's experience in response to disasters at national and regional levels". In NADI Joint Working Paper: Sharing Experiences in ASEAN HADR Management, pp.64-88; recommendations pp. 111-112. Bangkok: Strategic Studies Center, National Defence Studies Institute, 2015.
Edited Books / Special Issues
- Tan, Seng Chye and Henrick Z. Tsjeng (eds.). Track II Network of ASEAN Defence and Security Institutions (NADI): Commemorating 10 Years of NADI. Singapore: RSIS, 2017.
- Tan, Seng Chye. "Changing Global Landscape and Enhanced US Engagement with Asia - Challenges and Emerging Trends." Asia-Pacific Review, Vol. 19, No. 1, (May 2012).
- Tan, Seng Chye. "Changing Global Strategic Landscape and its Implications on Current Regional Architecture." Pointer, Journal of the Singapore Armed Forces, Vol. 36, No. 2, (2010).
- Tan, Seng Chye. "Regionalism--An Asian Conversation: Three Viewpoints" in The Asialink Essays, Vol. 2, No. 4 (2010).
Last updated on 08/06/2015