Following links control the content below
Shawn Ho is a Singaporean and an Associate Research Fellow at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS) in Singapore.
He conducts research as a member of the Regional Security Architecture Programme at RSIS. He also contributes to and supports the work done by the Council for Security Cooperation in the Asia Pacific (CSCAP) Singapore.
His research interests are: East Asian politics, security and history (in particular Korean Peninsular affairs).
Prior to joining RSIS in April 2016, he was a Researcher at the Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Singapore for about three years. He has also worked at the National Security Coordination Secretariat, Prime Minister’s Office, Singapore and the Ministry of Defence, Singapore.
Shawn obtained his Master’s Degree in Asian Studies from RSIS and his Bachelor’s Degree from the Singapore Management University (SMU) with a double major in Political Science and Economics. He also spent six months studying Korean intensively at the Yonsei University Korean Language Institute in Korea.
He has been a fervent supporter of the English football club Tottenham Hotspur for over 20 years.
Areas of Expertise
• Korean Peninsular Politics, Security and History
• East Asian Security
• ASEAN-Korea relations
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - The ASEAN-Led Multilateral Order: Unravelling?
11 May, 2020
Reimagining DPRK Summit Diplomacy: Can ASEAN Play a Bigger Role?
25 March, 2019
CO18136 | 51st ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting Singapore - Whither ASEAN Centrality?
14 August, 2018
CO18019 | Pyeongchang Winter Olympics - What’s Behind the Korean Unification Flag?
08 February, 2018
CO17159 | Beyond 50: ASEAN’s Role in the Evolving Regional Order
04 September, 2017
CO17083 | Strengthening ASEAN-US Relations: Korean Peninsula as Conduit?
02 May, 2017
CO17067 | Kim Jong Nam’s Death: What It Means For Malaysia
12 April, 2017
CO16172 | Tensions in the Yellow Sea: Crabs and the Inter-Korea Border Dispute
11 July, 2016
CO16151 | ASEAN Unity in the Face of China’s Unilateral “Consensus”
20 June, 2016
CO16105 | ASEAN-China Relations: Key Junctures for Singapore as Country Coordinator
09 May, 2016
- “Contending Visions of East Asian Regional Order: Insights from the United States, China, Japan, and Indonesia” (with Bhubhindar Singh, Sarah Teo, and Tsjeng Zhizhao Henrick) in Asian Affairs: An American Review, Vol. 46, No. 1, 2019. pp. 19-41
- Ho, Shawn. "Why Does China Prevent North Korea From Collapsing?" Yonsei Journal of International Studies 5, no. 1 (2013): 91-108.
Chapters in Edited Books
- “Advancing the ASEAN-Korea Partnership: From Sectoral Dialogue Relations to the New Southern Policy Plus” (with Ong Keng Yong, and Sarah Teo) in Ong Keng Yong, Sarah Teo, and Shawn Ho , The New Southern Policy Plus Progress and Way Forward. Korea: KIEP, 2021, p49-67
- “Advancing the ASEAN-Korea Partnership: From Sectoral Dialogue Relations to the New Southern Policy Plus” (with Ong Keng Yong, and Sarah Teo) in Kwon Hyung Lee and Yoon Jae Ro (Eds.), The New Southern Policy Plus: Progress and Way Forward. Sejong: Korea Institute for International Economic Policy, 2021, pp. 49-67
- “Korean Peninsula-Southeast Asia Relations: 2021 in Review”, Korea Bulletin (Korea Centre, East Asian Institute, National University of Singapore), 25 February 2022
- “What North Korea Gains From Participating in the ASEAN Regional Forum” (with Seksan Anantasirikiat), NK News, 27 August 2021
- “Rewinding to the Singapore Summit to Move U.S.-DPRK Relations Forward” (with Adrian Ang U-Jin), NK News, 12 June 2021
- “Strengthening Southeast Asia-North Korea Engagement in the Post-COVID-19 Era” (with Jeeyoon Chung), The Diplomat, 26 March 2021
- “Sustaining the New Southern Policy amid COVID-19: An ASEAN Perspective”, ASEAN-Korea Centre, 22 October 2020. Republished in The Korea Herald
- “Areas for improvement in ASEAN multilateralism”, The ASEAN Post, 8 March 2020
- “South Korea’s Soft Power in ASEAN: What’s Next?” (with Samantha Ho), ASEANFocus, 23 December 2019
- “Can Seoul’s Efforts Flow More Investments from Han to Mekong River?” (with Kaewkamol Pitakdumrongkit), The Straits Times, 29 November 2019
- “Korea-Japan: History is not Present in the Past” (with Bhubhindar Singh), Asia Times, 30 October 2019
- “Pyongyang’s cycle of provocation and negotiation: A dispassionate analysis” (with Nah Liang Tuang), Asia Dialogue, 21 October 2019
- “Handshakes and Missiles: Mixed Signals From North Korea” (with Nah Liang Tuang), The Diplomat, 9 August 2019
- “Can ASEAN Play a Greater Role in the Mekong Subregion?” (with Kaewkamol Pitakdumrongkit), The Diplomat, 30 January 2019
- “Whither ASEAN centrality?” (with Tsjeng Zhizhao Henrick), East Asia Forum, 1 September 2018
- “A Korean peninsula with no demilitarised zone?”, The Straits Times, 27 July 2018
- Ho, Shawn. "Politics of unified Korean flag at sports events." The Straits Times, 9 February 2018. http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/politics-of-unified-korean-flag-at-sports-events
- Ho, Benjamin, and Shawn Ho. “Xi sees off America's Trump card challenge.” Channel NewsAsia, 11 November 2017. https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/commentary/commentary-xi-sees-off-america-trump-challenge-9394678
- Ho, Shawn, and Benjamin Ho. “After China’s 19th Party Congress – implications for the regional architecture and order.” PacNet #82, 8 November 2017. https://www.csis.org/analysis/pacnet-82-after-chinas-19th-party-congress-%E2%80%93-implications-regional-architecture-and-order.
- Ho, Shawn, and Harry Sa. “S Korea, Asean can forge an economic powerhouse.” Today, 23 May 2017. http://www.todayonline.com/commentary/s-korea-asean-can-forge-economic-powerhouse.
- Ho, Shawn, and Sarah Teo. “After the ASEAN Summit, ASEAN should pay more attention to the North Korea threat.” Channel NewsAsia, 1 May 2017. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/commentary-after-the-asean-summit-asean-should-pay-more-8808228.
- Singh, Bhubhindar, Shawn Ho, and Henrick Z. Tsjeng. " China's Bogus South China Sea 'Consensus' ", The National Interest, 14 June 2016
- Ho, Shawn. "Key Junctures for Singapore as Country Coordinator [translated]." Lianhe Zaobao, 12 May 2016.
Last updated on 19/07/2021