Following links control the content below
Dr Shashi Jayakumar assumed the appointment as Head, Centre of Excellence for National Security (CENS) on 1 April 2015, and the appointment of Executive Coordinator, Future Issues and Technology on 1 Aug 2017.
Dr Jayakumar was educated at Oxford University where he studied History (BA 1997, D.Phil, 2001). He has published in various peer-reviewed journals and edited volumes on topics relating to medieval history (the focus of his doctorate). He was a member of the Singapore Administrative Service from 2002-2017. During this time, he was posted to various Ministries, including the Ministries of Defence, Manpower, Information and the Arts, and Community Development, Youth and Sports. He was from August 2011-July 2014 a Senior Visiting Research Fellow at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy. His research interests include extremism, social resilience, cyber, and homeland defence. He is currently completing a major book project relating to local (Singapore) politics (forthcoming, National University of Singapore Press, 2020).
Areas of Expertise
- Radicalisation and Countering Violent Extremism
- Singapore’s National Security
- Singapore History post-1965
Singapore Representative to ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights (AICHR), 2019-2021
Member, National Library Board, 2015-present
Chair, National Archives Advisory Committee (NAAC), 2015-present
Member, Board of Governors, Republic Polytechnic, 2011-2017
Chair, School of Management and Communication Advisory Committee, Republic Polytechnic, 2011-2017
Member, International Advisory Board, Violence : An International Journal, 2018-present
Fake News: National Security in the Post-Truth Era
19 January, 2018
International Conference on Cohesive Societies - Tolerance and its Enemies: Three Observations
26 June, 2019
Cyber Security: Will There Be One ASEAN Voice?
28 May, 2019
SingHealth Cyber Attack: Learning from COI Findings
13 February, 2019
Elections Integrity in Fake News Era: Who Protects, and How?
29 November, 2018
Violent Extremism and its Continuum
17 October, 2018
CO18041 | Germany’s NetzDG: Template for Dealing with Fake News?
13 March, 2018
CO18021 | “Regardless of Religion”: Building a Stronger Singaporean Society
12 February, 2018
CO18013 | Cyber Threats: 2018 and Beyond
26 January, 2018
CO17203 | The Future of Work: New Underclass, Dystopian Reality?
30 October, 2017
CO17151 | Disinformation: Slow Burn Menace
14 August, 2017
CO16299 | The Jemaah Islamiyah and its Afterlives
12 December, 2016
CO16249 | China-Singapore Ties: The Four Rs Behind the Unhappiness
06 October, 2016
CO16137 | Our Skynet Moment: Debating Morality of AI
07 June, 2016
CO16074 | The Curious Case of Wang Yuandongyi: Why Do Some Want to Fight With Anti-ISIS Groups?
06 April, 2016
CO15209 | IS ‘Trojan Horse’: Seeing Wood for the Trees?
07 October, 2015
CO15146 | The Year of the Caliphate: What Lies Ahead?
29 June, 2015
CO14215 | Biker Gang Chic and ‘Reverse Jihad’: The “Other” Foreign Fighters
03 November, 2014
- Terrorism, Radicalisation & Countering Violent Extremism: Practical Considerations & Concerns
- DRUMS: Distortions, Rumours, Untruths, Misinformation, and Smears
- Jayakumar, Shashi, and Rahul Sagar, eds. The Big Ideas of Lee Kuan Yew. Singapore : Straits Times Press, 2014.
- Jayakumar, Shashi, ed., State, Society and National Security: Challenges and Opportunities in the 21st Century. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Co Pte Ltd, 2016.
- Shashi Jayakumar, Bartolomeo Conti, Ekaterina Sokirianskaia, Phil Gurski and Rahma Dauleh in Eds, Deradicalisation”, in“International Panel on Exiting Violence : Draft Report 2017-2019. France: Foundation Maison Des Sciences de L’Homme , 01 May 2019, p. 4
- Jayakumar, Shashi, “The PAP’s Crucible,” in 200 years of Singapore and the United Kingdom, eds. Tommy Koh and Scott Wightman. Singapore: Straits Times Press, 2019.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "Threats seen and unseen, Terrorism and Cyber attacks in Singapore." Disrupted Balance, Society at Risk, World Scientific, 2018.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "Singapore in 2017. Testing Times, Within and Without." In Southeast Asian Affairs 2018, ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute, 2018.
- Jayakumar, Shashi, “Rethinking ASEAN’s approach to counter-terrorism”, East Asia Forum, Vol.10 No.1 January–March 2018
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "The Islamic State Looks East : The Growing Threat in Southeast Asia," CTC Sentinel, Vol. 10, Issue 2 (February 2017).
- Jayakumar, Shashi, “Will there be one ASEAN voice on cyber?”, The Strategist, Australian Strategic Policy Institute, May 11, 2019.
- Jayakumar, Shashi, “Looking Back, Looking Forward”, BiblioAsia, Vol.15 issue 1, April-June 2019.
- Gunaratna, Rohan and Jayakumar, Shashi. “Violent Extremism And Its Continuum”, The Straits Times, October 11, 2018.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "The Truly Great Who Flew Above Us", The Straits Times, August 19, 2018.
- Jayakumar, Shashi, and Foo Siang-tse, “Cyber Threats: 2018 and Beyond”, The Straits Times, January 26, 2018.
- Jayakumar, Shashi, University of Nottingham: IAPS Dialogue: Singapore and the Terror Threat Landscape, The online magazine of the Institute of Asia & Pacific Studies, September 25, 2017
- Jayakumar, Shashi, “Memories of War and its Legacies", National Archives of Singapore, Off the Record, September 2, 2017.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. “Disinformation : An old security threat made new”, The Straits Times, August 8, 2017
- Jayakumar, Shashi. “Remembering the legacy of Pramoedya Ananta Toer”, The Jakarta Post, April 3, 2017.
- Jayakumar, Shashi and Ho Shu Huang. “Creating an ecosystem to win a non-conventional war”, TODAY, March 22, 2017.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. “Beware the slow-burn threats to Singapore ” Channel News Asia Commentary, December 31, 2016.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. “JI arrests: 15 years later” The Straits Times, December 9, 2016.
- Jayakumar, Shashi and Benjamin Ang. “Smart Nation, but will we be secure?” The Straits Times, October 14, 2016.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. “The Four Rs behind the Unhappiness” The Straits Times, October 6, 2016.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "Morality and the future of robots" The Straits Times, June 6, 2016.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "Islamic State "Sleeper Cells" not the real fear around refugee exodus." TODAY, October 6, 2015.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "The Year of the Caliphate and what is to come." The Straits Times, June 27, 2015
Jayakumar, Shashi. "The Curious Case of Wang YuanDongyi." The Straits Times, April 02, 2016.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "What Singaporeans Should Do as Security Threats Evolve." TODAY, February 15, 2016.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "'Reverse jihad': The Other Foreign Fighters'". The Straits Times, November 5, 2014. Accessed October 18, 2016. http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/reverse-jihad-the-other-foreign-fighters
Last updated on 07/05/2019