Following links control the content below
- Areas of Expertise
- Professional Activities
- RSIS Publications
- External Publications
- RSIS Modules Taught
Rajesh Basrur is Visiting Professor in the South Asia Programme at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He is also a research associate with the University of Oxford’s Contemporary South Asian Studies Programme (CSASP). He has obtained MA and MPhil in History (Delhi) and MA and PhD in Political Science (Bombay). Prior to joining RSIS in 2006, he was Director, Centre for Global Studies, Mumbai (2000-2006), and taught History and Politics at the University of Mumbai (1978-2000). He has held visiting appointments at the University of Oxford, the University of Birmingham, the University of Hull, Stanford University, Sandia National Laboratories, the Brookings Institution, the Henry L. Stimson Center, Simon Fraser University, and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. His work focuses on South Asian security, global nuclear politics, and international relations theory. He has authored five books, including (with Kate Sullivan De Estrada) Rising India: Status and Power (Routledge, 2017), South Asia’s Cold War (Routledge, 2008) and Minimum Deterrence and India’s Nuclear Security (Stanford University Press, 2006). He has also edited ten books, including (with Sumitha Narayanan Kutty) India and Japan: Assessing the Strategic Partnership (Palgrave Macmillan, 2018) and (with Anit Mukherjee and T. V. Paul), India-China Maritime Competition (Routledge, 2019). He has published over 100 papers in various journals and edited volumes.
Areas of Expertise
- Indian Foreign Policy
- South Asian Security
- The Politics of Nuclear Weapons
- International Relations Theory
Fellowships and Projects
Research Associate, Contemporary South Asian Studies Programme (CSASP), Oxford School of Global and Area Studies, University of Oxford, December 3, 2018-.
Visiting Research Collaborator, Department of Transdisciplinary Area Studies, University of Oxford, July 9-23, 2016.
Visiting Professor, Institute of Conflict, Cooperation and Security (ICCS), University of Birmingham, June 24-28, 2013.
Conference Fellowship, Conference on “South Asia in Transition,” Department of Politics and International Relations, University of Hull, August 19-26, 2011.
Conference Fellowship, Conference on “After the First Decade: The Politics of Nuclear Weapons in South Asia,” Department of Politics and International Relations, University of Hull, August 6-25, 2009.
Visiting Research Fellow, Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies/ S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, November 2006-October 2007.
~Project: “South Asia’s Cold War.”
Visiting Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for International Security and Cooperation (CISAC), Stanford University, Stanford, CA, October 2002-June 2003.
~Projects: “Nuclear Terrorism in South Asia”; and “India-Pakistan Confrontation, 2001-2002, and Its Implications for Nuclear Strategy.”
Visiting Research Scholar, The Cooperative Monitoring Center, Sandia Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM, May-September 2002.
~Project (with Hasan-Askari Rizvi): “Nuclear Terrorism and South Asia.”
Visiting Fellow, The Brookings Institution, Washington, DC, December 2001-March 2002.
~Project: “Defining A Stable Nuclear Regime for South Asia.”
Visiting Fellow, The Henry L. Stimson Center, Washington, DC, September 2001-December 2001.
~Project: “Missile Defense: An Indian Perspective.”
Fulbright Post-Doctoral Research Scholar Fellowship, 1995-96.
~Project: “US Nuclear Force Structure and Doctrine in the Post-Cold War Era.” Affiliation: Program in Arms Control, Disarmament and International Security, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Canadian Studies Faculty Research Award Fellowship, 1994-95.
~Project: “Canada in the Post-Cold War Era: A Systems Framework.” Affiliation: Simon Fraser University.
University Grants Commission Junior Research Fellowship in History, University of Delhi, 1977-78.
Member, International Advisory Board, International Affairs
Member, Advisory Board, Indian Politics and Policy
Member, Editorial Board, The Sage Encyclopaedia of International Security
Associate Editor, India Review.
Member, Editorial Advisory Board, “South Asia in World Affairs” Series, Georgetown University Press.
Member, International Board, “Asian Security Monograph Series,” Stanford University Press.
Member, Editorial Board, “Oxford International Relations in South Asia” series, Oxford University Press.
Member, Editorial Board, Defence Studies.
Reviewer for Major Book Publishers
- Brookings Institution Press
- Georgetown University Press
- Manchester University Press
- Oxford University Press
- Polity Press
- Bristol University Press
- World Scientific
Reviewer for Major Journals
- Asia Policy
- Asian Perspective
- Asian Security
- Defence Studies
- Indian Politics and Policy
- Insight Turkey Journal
- International Affairs
- International Relations of the Asia-Pacific
- Jadavpur Journal of International Relations
- Journal of Cold War Studies
- Peace Research
- Security Studies
MN25 | Demilitarising the State: The South and Southeast Asian Experience
07 September, 2012
MN17 | The 2008 Mumbai Terrorist Attacks: Strategic Fallout
08 December, 2009
Nuclear Deterrence: The Wohlstetter-Blackett Debate Re-visited
15 April, 2014
WP271 | Nuclear Deterrence: The Wohlstetter-Blackett Debate Re-visited
15 April, 2014
India and China: Nuclear Rivalry in the Making
01 October, 2013
The ‘New’ Nuclear Arms Race
29 October, 2018
CO18011 | Avoiding Nuclear Crises in Asia
23 January, 2018
CO17130 | US-China: Competing Amidst Two Transitions
06 July, 2017
CO16171 | Status Politics: India, China and the Nuclear Suppliers Group
11 July, 2016
CO12074 | India’s Agni V Missile: Game Changer?
26 April, 2012
CO12049 | Indian Grand Strategy: Nonalignment Redux?
21 March, 2012
CO11151 | Pakistan, India and Kashmir: Will Nature force an Aceh Effect?
18 October, 2011
CO11065 | South Asia: Tactical Nuclear Weapons and Strategic Risk
27 April, 2011
CO10048 | Nuclear Energy in Southeast Asia: Will it Enhance Human Security?
14 May, 2010
CO08090 | Climate, Food, and the New North-South Divide
25 August, 2008
CO08039 | The Nuclear Disarmament Bandwagon: Time for New Thinking?
26 March, 2008
CO07056 | The Threat of WMD Terrorism: ASEAN Needs to respond
06 June, 2007
CO07036 | Indian and the United States: Can the Nuclear Deal Hold?
03 May, 2007
CO06126 | India and China: Putting Economics First
14 December, 2006
Bulletins and Newsletters
- Rising India: Status and Power (with Kate Sullivan de Estrada). Abingdon and New York: Routledge, 2017
- South Asia’s Cold War: Nuclear Weapons and Conflict in Comparative Perspective. Abingdon and New York: Routledge, 2008
- Minimum Deterrence and India’s Nuclear Security. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2005
- India’s External Relations: A Theoretical Analysis. New Delhi: Commonwealth Publishers, 2000
Edited Books / Special Issues
- India-China Maritime Competition: The Security Dilemma at Sea (with Anit Mukherjee, and T. V. Paul), Eds. Abingdon & New York: Routledge (Taylor & Francis Group), 2019
- India and Japan: Assessing the Strategic Partnership (with Sumitha Narayanan Kutty), Eds. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2018
- India’s Military Modernization: Strategic Technologies and Weapons Systems (with Bharat Gopalaswamy), Eds. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2015
- India’s Military Modernization: Challenges and Prospects (with Ajaya Kumar Das, and Manjeet S. Pardesi), Eds. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2014
- Nuclear Power and Energy Security in Asia: Critical Debates (with Collin Koh Swee Lean), Eds. Abingdon and New York: Routledge, 2012
- Nuclear Power and Energy Security in Asia (with Collin Koh Swee Lean), Eds. London: Routledge, 2012
- Challenges to Democracy in India. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2009
- Reintroducing the Human Security Debate in South Asia (with Mallika Joseph), Eds. New Delhi: Samskriti Publishers, 2007
- Security in the New Millennium: Views from South Asia. New Delhi: India Research Press, 2001
- Perspectives on India’s Defence and Arms Control. Mumbai: Department of Civics and Politics, University of Mumbai, 1999
- "India and China: A Managed Nuclear Rivalry?" in The Washington Quarterly, Vol. 42, No. 3, 2019, pp. 151-170
- "The BRI and India’s Grand Strategy" in Strategic Analysis, Vol. 43, Issue 3, 2019, pp. 187-198
- "Modi, Hindutva and Foreign Policy" in International Studies Perspectives, Vol. 20, No. 01, 2019, pp. 7-11
- "India-Pakistan Rivalry: Endless Duel?" in Asian Security, 2017
- "Nuclear Stability and Polarity in Post-Cold War Asia" in Asia Policy, No. 19, 2015
- "Looking East in Defense: Perspectives on India-Southeast Asia Relations" (with Ajaya Kumar Das) in India Review, Vol. 12, No. 3, 2013.
- "China, India and Pakistan: Models for an Intermediate Stage toward Disarmament?" in Australian Journal of Foreign Affairs, Vol. 67, No. 2, 2013, pp. 176-189
- "Human Security in South Asia: Concept and Practice" in South Asian Journal, Vol. 37, 2012, pp. 115-129
- "Low-Profile Deterrence: Lessons from the Indian Experience" in RUSI Journal, Vol. 156, No. 5, 2011, pp. 38-43
- "The India-China Nuclear Relationship" (with Bommakanti Kartik) in Strategic Analysis, Vol. 35, No. 2, 2011. pp. 186-193
- "India and Disarmament" in Security Challenges, Vol. 6, No. 4, 2010, pp. 69-81
- "Two Decades of Minimum Deterrence in South Asia: A Comparative Framework" in India Review, Vol. 9, No. 3, 2010, pp. 300-318
- "Global Quest and Regional Reversal: Rising India and South Asia" in International Studies, Vol. 47, No. 2-4, 2010, pp. 267-284
- "Nuclear Weapons and India-Pakistan Relations" in Strategic Analysis, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2009, pp. 336-344
- "Response to Dr. Quinlan’s Critique" in Strategic Analysis, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2009, pp. 347-348
- "Scholarship on International Relations in India and Abroad" in International Studies, Vol. 46, No. 1-2, 2009, pp. 89-108
- "Theory for Strategy: Emerging India in a Changing World" in South Asian Survey, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2009, pp. 5-21
- "Correspondence: Do Small Arsenals Deter?" in International Security, Vol. 32, No. 3, 2007, pp. 202-207
- "Decentralising Theory: Regional International Politics" in International Studies, Vol. 43, No. 4, 2006, pp. 419-424
- "Minimum Deterrence: Fundamentals and Policy Implications" in Indian Foreign Affairs Journal, Vol. 1, No. 3, 2006, pp. 63-71
- "Nuclear Command-and-Control and Strategic Policis in South Asia" in Contemporary South Asia, Vol. 14, No. 2, 2005, pp. 155-161
- "International Relations Theory and Minimum Deterrence" in India Review, Vol. 4, No. 2, 2005, pp. 1-19
- "Nuclear and Radiological Threats for India: Risk Potential and Countermeasures" in Journal of Physical Security, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2004,
- "Kargil, Terrorism, and India’s Strategic Shift" in India Review, Vol. 1, No. 4, 2002, pp. 39-56
- "Nuclear Weapons and Indian Strategic Culture" in Journal of Peace Research, Vol. 38, No. 2, 2001, pp. 181-198
- "Enduring Contradictions: Deterrence Theory and the Draft Nuclear Doctrine" in Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XXXV, No. 8 & 9, 2000, pp. 610-613
- "South Asia’s Persistent Cold War" in ACDIS Occasional Paper, Program in Arms Control, Disarmament and International Security, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1996
- "Structure and Interaction in the Global System" in International Studies, Vol. 31, No. 4, 1994, pp. 377-397
- "Prospects for Indo-Pak Relations: A Realistic Assessment" in Strategic Analysis, Vol. XII, No. 12, 1989, pp. 1363-1377
- "1971 in Retrospect: A Reappraisal of Soviet Policy in South Asia" in International Studies, Vol. 25, No. 3, 1988, pp. 241-257
- "Theory of International Politics: The Limitations of Political Realism" in India Quarterly, Vol. XLI, No. 2, 1985, pp. 220-235
Chapters in Edited Books
- "Nuclear Deterrence in Indian Security Strategy" in Harsh V. Pant (Ed.), New Directions in Indian Foreign Policy: Theory and Praxis. UK: Cambridge University Press, 2018, pp. 215-236
- "Explaining Foreign Policy Change: India in the Global System" in Ian Hall (Ed.), The Engagement of India: Strategies and Responses. Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University Press, 2014,
- "The Consequences of South Asia’s Nuclear Revolution" in Bhumitra Chakma (Ed.), South Asia in Transition: Democracy, Political Economy and Security. UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014, pp. 174-194
- "Whither India’s Bomb? Motivational Models Revisited" in C. Vinodan (Ed.), South Asia in the Globalised World. New Delhi: New Century Publishers, 2014,
- "Post-Fukushima: Whither Nuclear Energy" (with Collin Koh Swee Lean) in Rajesh Basrur and Collin Koh Swee Lean (Eds.), Nuclear Power and Energy Security in Asia: Critical Debates. Abingdon and New York: Routledge, 2012,
- "Nuclear Weapons and India’s National Security Strategy" in Krishnappa Venkatshamy and Princy George (Eds.), Grand Strategy for India: 2020 and Beyond. New Delhi: Pentagon Security International, 2012,
- "Nuclear Energy and Energy Security in Asia: Through the Human Security Lens" (with Collin Koh Swee Lean, and Kalyan Kemburi) in Rajesh Basrur and Koh Swee Lean (Eds.), Nuclear Power and Energy Security in Asia: Critical Debates. New York: Routledge, 2012,
- "The Rise of China: An Indian Perspective" in Mingjiang Li and Dongmin Lee (Eds.), China and the Strategic Dynamics in East Asia: The Shaping of a New Regional Order. Lexington, MA: Rowman & Littlefield, 2011,
- "Regional Power Development in a Space Thick with Competing Powers: India" in Thomas J. Volgy, Renato Corbetta, Keith A. Grant, and Ryan G. Baird (Eds.), Major Powers and the Quest for Status in International Politics. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011,
- "Nuclear Deterrence Thinking in Pakistan" in E. Sridharan (Ed.), International Relations Theory and South Asia Volume II. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2011,
- "Foreign Policy Reversal: The Politics of Sri Lanka’s Economic Relationship with India" in E. Sridharan (Ed.), International Relations Theory and South Asia Volume I. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2011,
- "Indian Perspectives on the Global Elimination of Nuclear Weapons" in Barry M. Blechman and Alexander K. Bollfrass (Eds.), Unblocking the Road to Zero: China and India. Washington, D.C.: Henry L. Stimson Center, 2010,
- "Who’s Afraid of Missile Defence?" in N. S. Sisodia and S. Kalyanaraman (Eds.), The Future of War and Peace in Asia. New Delhi: Magnum Books, 2010,
- "India-Pakistan Relations: Between War and Peace" in Sumit Ganguly (Ed.), Indian Foreign Policy. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2010,
- "Nuclear Weapons and Crisis Stability in South Asia" in Sumit Ganguly, Joseph Liow and Andrew Scobell (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of Asian Security Studies. London: Routledge, 2010,
- "The Lessons of Kargil as Learned by India" in Peter Lavoy (Ed.), Asymmetric Warfare in South Asia: The Causes and Consequences of the Kargil Conflict. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009,
- "The India-U.S. Nuclear Deal: Security Implications" in Christopher Len and Alvin Chew (Eds.), Energy and Security Cooperation in Asia: Challenges and Prospects. Stockholm: Institute for Security and Development Policy, 2009,
- "India: Security Challenges and Response" in V. A. Pai Panandiker and Rahul Tripathi (Eds.), Towards Freedom in South Asia: Democratization, Peace and Regional Cooperation. New Delhi: Konark, 2008,
- "NATO in a Changing World: An Indian Perspective" in V. P. Malik and Jorg Schultz (Eds.), Emerging NATO: Challenges for Asia and Europe. New Delhi: Lancers, 2008,
- "India: Imbalance under Civilian Control" in Thomas Bruneau and Harold Trinkunas (Eds.), Global Politics of Defense Reform. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008,
- "India’s Nuclear Arsenal: Prospects for Enlargement" in Mark Fitzpatrick, Alexander Nikitin and Sergey Oznobishchev (Eds.), Nuclear Doctrines and Strategies: National Policies and International Security. Amsterdam: IOS Press, in cooperation with NATO, 2008,
- "Global Change, Security and India’s Role in the United Nations" in P. M. Kamath (Ed.), Reforming and Restructuring the United Nations. New Delhi: Khama, 2007,
- "India-Pakistan Security Cooperation and the Prospects for a South Asian Security Community" in Adluri Subramanya Raju (Ed.), Reconstructing South Asia: An Agenda. New Delhi: Gyan Publishing House, 2007,
- "India’s Nuclear Policy since Independence" in Daniel P. Marston and Chandar S. Sundaram (Eds.), A Military History of India and South Asia: From the East India Company to the Nuclear Era. CT: Praeger, 2006,
- "Reducing Nuclear Risks" in (Ed.), Nuclear Weapons and Security. New Delhi: Delhi Policy Group, 2005,
- "From Conflict to Cooperation: The Politics of Change in India-Pakistan" in P. M. Kamath (Ed.), India-Pakistan Relations: Courting Peace from the Corridors of War. New Delhi: Promilla & Co, 2005,
- "Coercive Diplomacy in A Nuclear Environment: The December 13 Crisis" in Rafiq Dossani and Henry S. Rowen (Eds.), Prospects for Peace in South Asia. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2005,
- "India’s Escalation-Resistant Nuclear Posture" in Michael Krepon, Rodney W. Jones and Ziad Haider (Eds.), Escalation Control and the Nuclear Option in South Asia". Washington, DC: Henry L. Stimson Center, 2004,
- "Missile Defense: An Indian Perspective" in Chris Gagné and Michael Krepon (Eds.), The Impact of Missile Defenses on Southern Asia. Washington, D.C.: Henry L. Stimson Center, 2003,
- "Strategic Stability and the Evolution of India’s Nuclear Strategy" in P. R. Chari, Sonika Gupta and Arpit Rajain (Eds.), Nuclear Stability in Southern Asia. New Delhi: Manohar Publishers, 2003,
- "Bombs in Search of a Mission: India’s Uncertain Nuclear Futures" in Michael R. Chambers (Ed.) , South Asia in 2020: Future Strategic Balances and Alliances. Carlisle Barracks, PA: U. S. Army War College, 2002,
- "Towards Democratization of Nuclear Policy" in Nawaz B. Mody, Kannamma Raman and Louis D’Silva (Eds.), Revitalizing Indian Democracy. Mumbai: Allied Publishers, 2001,
- "Nuclear Confidence-Building in the Post-Kargil Scenario" in Moonis Ahmar (Ed.), The Challenge of Confidence Building in South Asia. New Delhi: Har-Anand, 2001,
- "Optimising Nuclear Ambivalance: The VNS Option" in Dilip H. Mohite and Amit Dholakia (Eds.), India and the Emerging World Order: Foreign Policy and Security Perspectives. Delhi: Kalinga Publications, 2001,
- "Missile Defense: An Indian Perspective" in David Krieger and Carah Ong (Eds.), A Maginot Line in the Sky: International Perspectives on Ballistic Missile Defense. Santa Barbara, CA: Nuclear Age Peace Foundation, 2001,
- "Human Security, the State and Democracy in a Globalising World" in Rajesh Basrur (Ed.), Security in the New Millennium: Views from South Asia. New Delhi: India Research Press, 2001,
- "India-US Relations: The Nuclear Proliferation Dimension" in V. T. Patil and N. K. Jha (Eds.), Peace and Cooperative Security in South Asia. New Delhi: P. R. Publications, 2000,
- "Some Observations on Indian Strategic Culture" in A. Subramanya Raju (Ed.), Nuclear India: Problems and Perspectives. New Delhi: South Asian Publishers, 2000,
- "India’s Foreign Policy and International Relations Theory: A Post-Neorealist View" in Usha Thakkar and Mangesh Kulkarni (Eds.), India and World Affairs. Mumbai: Himalaya, 1999,
- "US Nuclear Policy after the Cold War" in A.A. Mutalik-Desai, V. K. Malhotra, T.S. Anand, and Prashant K. Sinha (Eds.), A Mosaic of Encounters: India&USA: Literature, Society and Politics. New Delhi: Creative Books, 1999,
- "India’s Nuclear Policy: The Need for Clear-Cut Ambivalence" in P. M. Kamath, Emerging International Order and Foreign Policy Options for India. Allahabad: Indian Academy of Social Sciences, 1999,
- "Indo-US Economic Relations: Intellectual Property Rights" in Vinay Kumar Malhotra (Ed.), Indo-US Relations in the Nineties. New Delhi: Anmol, 1995,
- "The Global Impact of America’s Economic Decline: Theoretical Implications" in P. M. Kamath and A. A. Mutalik-Desai (Eds.), Indian Perspectives on the US. New Delhi: Prestige Books, 1993,
- "Whither Nonproliferation? Indo-US Relations under Carter and Reagan" in P. M. Kamath (Ed.), Indo-US Relations Dynamics of Change. New Delhi: South Asian Publishers, 1987,
- Time for a Symmetric Approach?, Pragati, 5 March 2019
- A Time of Strategic Partnerships (with Sumitha Narayanan Kutty), The Hindu, 20 September 2017
- Strategic Stability and Low Numbers in Southern Asia, Project on Strategic Stability Evaluation (POSSE), James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies, Monterey Institute of International Studies, Monterey, CA & Center for International Strategy, Technology, and Policy Sam Nunn School of International Affairs Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 7 August 2014
- Deterrence, Second Strike and Credibility: Revisiting India’s Nuclear Strategy Debate, Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies Policy Brief No. 255, Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies, New Delhi, 1 July 2014
- Nuclear Politics in South Asia, Occasional Paper, Series III, 5, Department of Politics and Public Administration, University of Pune, Pune, 1 December 2005
- Nuclear Terrorism and South Asia, Occasional Paper, 25, Cooperative Monitoring Center, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM, 1 February 2003
Last updated on 15/07/2019