Following links control the content below
Norman Vasu is Senior Fellow and Coordinator of the Policy Studies Group at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Singapore. He is the author of How Diasporic Peoples Maintain their Identity in Multicultural Societies: Chinese, Africans, and Jews (Edwin Mellen Press, 2008), co-author of Singapore Chronicles: Multiracialism (Institute of Policy Studies and Straits Times Press, 2018), editor of Social Resilience in Singapore: Reflections from the London Bombings (Select Publishing, 2007), co-editor of Nations, National Narratives and Communities in the Asia Pacific (Routledge, 2014), Immigration in Singapore (Amsterdam University Press, 2015), and DRUMS: Distortions, Rumours, Untruths, Misinformation, and Smears (World Scientific Press, 2019). His research on multiculturalism, ethnic relations, narratives of governance, citizenship, immigration, and national security have been published in journals such as Asian Survey, Asian Ethnicity, Journal of Comparative Asian Development and The Copenhagen Journal of Asian Studies, and in a number of edited volumes. He was a Fulbright Fellow with the Center for Strategic Communication, Hugh Downs School of Human Communication, Arizona State University in 2012, a Visiting Senior Fellow at the Takshashila Institution, Bangalore, India, in 2016 and at the Daniel K. Inouye Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies in Honolulu, Hawaii in 2018.
Areas of Expertise
- Ethnic relations
- Narratives of governance
- National security
Singaporean Youth and Socioeconomic Mobility
20 November, 2018
Fake News: National Security in the Post-Truth Era
19 January, 2018
The Ties that Bind & Blind: A Report on Inter-racial and Inter-religious Relations in Singapore
31 December, 2012
The Ties that Bind and Blind: A Report on Inter-racial and Inter-religious Relations in Singapore
02 November, 2007
Towards ICCS 2022 - Cohesive Societies, Shared Humanity: Looking Back, Moving Forward
01 July, 2021
BLM Movement: Singapore and Glocalisation
13 July, 2020
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Pandemic: The Idea of Social Resilience
05 June, 2020
Global Health Security - COVID-19: What Changes – and What Doesn’t
17 April, 2020
CO16312 | Society, Technology and National Security
23 December, 2016
CO12145 | An Immigration Bonus for Singaporeans? - Making the Foreigner More Acceptable
07 August, 2012
CO12127 | Making Singapore Attractive for Permanent Residents: Past, Present and Future
13 July, 2012
CO12055 | Ties that Bind and Blind: Scorecard of Singapore’s Multicultural Bonds
30 March, 2012
CO10025 | An Integration Grant?: Sweetening the Ethnic Integration Policy
03 March, 2010
CO08083 | Mind your Language: Immigration, English and the Social Fabric
06 August, 2008
CO08048 | Malaysian Lessons for Singapore?
17 April, 2008
CO08011 | Self-Radicalisation and National Security: New Threat, New Response
01 February, 2008
CO07116 | Multiculturalism in Singapore: The Ties that Bind and Blind
02 November, 2007
CO07072 | Grace in Times of Friction: The Complexity of Social Resilience
11 July, 2007
CO06121 | A Blueprint for Social Resilience: The Next 1,826 Days and Beyond
30 November, 2006
CO06054 | Rethinking Racial Harmony in Singapore
20 June, 2006
CO06039 | “Iconic Soft Targets”? Public Housing Estates, Terrorism and Social Resilience
24 May, 2006
CO06035 | People Power in the War on Terrorism
16 May, 2006
CO06010 | Learning from Cartoons The Globalisation of Free Speech
08 February, 2006
CO05087 | Sequels Seldom Sell: Why Terrorism is losing its Strategic Value for Al-Qaeda
30 November, 2005
CO05061 | Multiculturalism and Extremism: The Insider-Outsider Debate
06 September, 2005
CO05047 | The London Bombings: Fundamental Change in Fundamentalist Times
28 July, 2005
CO05035 | Thailand’s Restive South: Time to Acknowledge the Multiplicity of Thai-ness
22 June, 2005
- Singapore Chronicles: Multiracialism (with Juhi Ahuja). Singapore: Straits Times Press, 2018
- Vasu, Norman. How Diasporic Peoples Maintain their Identity in Multicultural Societies: Chinese, Africans, and Jews. New York: Edwin Mellen Press, 2009.
Vasu, Norman, and Priscilla Cabuyao, “Gender Equality (And its Absence) in Singapore’s 2015 General Elections,” The Round Table: The Commonwealth Journal of International Affairs (2016). Accessed July 12, 2016. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00358533.2016.1154389
- Vasu, Norman and Cheong, Damein D. "Narratives and Governance: The Eroding Corporatist Narrative of Governance in Singapore" in Journal of Comparative Asian Development, Vol. 13 No. 1, (April 2014): 105 - 130.
- Vasu, Norman and Damien D. Cheong. 'Narratives and Governance: The Eroding Corporatist Narrative of Governance in Singapore.' Journal of Comparative Asian Development, Vol. 13, No. 1 (2014): 105-130.
- Vasu, Norman and Cheong, Damein D. "Immigration and the National Narrative: Rethinking Corporatism in Singapore", Copenhagen Journal of Asian Studies, Vol. 31, No.1, 2013, 5 – 28.
- Vasu, Norman and Damien D. Cheong. 'Immigration and the National Narrative: Rethinking Corporatism in Singapore.' The Copenhagen Journal of Asian Studies, Volume Vol. 31, No. 1 (2013): 6-28.
- Vasu, Norman. ‘Governance through Difference in Singapore: Corporatism’s Composition, Characteristics, and Complications’, Asian Survey, Vol. 52, Number 4 (2012): 734–753
- Ramakrishna, Kumar, and Norman Vasu: “Countering Terrorism: Multiculturalism in Singapore”. Connections: The Quarterly Journal, Vol. 5, No. 4 (Spring 2007): 143-155.
- Vasu, Norman. ‘(En)countering Terrorism: Multiculturalism and Singapore’, Asian Ethnicity, Vol. 9 Issue 1 (2007): 17-32.
Edited Books / Special Issues
- DRUMS: Distortions, Rumours, Untruths, Misinformation, and Smears (with Benjamin Ang, and Shashi Jayakumar), Eds. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, 2019
- Fostering Innovation For Future Security Challenges (with Damien D. Cheong, Muhammad Faizal Bin Abdul Rahman, and Benjamin Ang), Eds. Singapore: Interpol, 2017
- Vasu, Norman, Yeap Su Yin and Chan Wen Ling (eds.). Immigration’s Impact on Singapore. Beyond Economics. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, 2014.
- Vasu, Norman,Yolanda Chin, and Law Kam-yee. (eds.) Nations, National Narratives and Communities in the Asia Pacific. New York: Routledge, 2013.
- Vasu, Norman. (ed). Social Resilience in Singapore: Reflections from the London Bombings. Singapore: Select Publishing, 2007
Chapters in Edited Books
- “The Maligned Malays and National Service” (with Nur Diyanah Binte Anwar) in Ho Shu Huang and Graham Ong-Webb, National Service in Singapore. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Co., 2018, pp. 203-225
- “What if We Ignore Race and Religion” (with Pravin Prakash) in Gillian Koh & Debbie Soon, Singapore Perspectives 2017: What If?. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Company, 2018, pp. 77-91
- “Everyone Has a Plan ’Til They Get Punched in the Mouth” in Shashi Jayakumar (ed.), State, Society, and National Security: Challenges and Opportunities in the 21st Century . Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, 2016, pp. 93-102
- “Norman Vasu and Damien D Cheong, ‘Singapore in 2015: SG50’, in Malcolm Cook and Daljit Singh (eds.), Southeast Asian Affairs 2016, (Singapore: ISEAS–Yusof Ishak Institute, 2016).” (with Damien D. Cheong) in Malcolm Cook and Daljit Singh (eds.), Southeast Asian Affairs 2016. Singapore: ISEAS–Yusof Ishak Institute, 2016, 2016, 397 pages
- “National Security and Singapore: An Assessment” in Barry Desker and Ang Cheng Guan (eds.), Perspectives on the Security of Singapore. Singapore and London: World Scientific and Imperial College Press, 2015, 21-43
- Vasu, Norman, Yeap Su Yin and Chan Wen Ling. "Introduction". In Immigration’s Impact on Singapore. Beyond Economics, edited by Norman Vasu, Yeap Su Yin and Chan Wen Ling. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, 2014.
- Vasu, Norman. "Singapore 2013: The Times they are a Changin’', In Southeast Asian Affairs 2014, edited by Daljit Singh, 277-289. Singapore: Institute for Southeast Asian Studies, 2014.
- Vasu, Norman. "Sailing a Steady Ship: Goh Chok Tong’s Multiculturalism." In Impressions: The Goh Years in Singapore, edited by Bridget Welsh, James Chin, Arun Mahizhnan, Tan Tarn How, 313-323. Singapore: National University of Singapore Press, 2009.
- Vasu, Norman and Bernard Loo. "Total Defence for National Security: An Assessment." in Management of Success: Singapore Revisited, edited by Terence Chong, 462-488. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2010.
- Vasu, Norman. 'Development and Governance in Singapore: The Paradox of Plugging in.' In 奇跡之後：東亞世紀的挑戰 (After the Miracle: Challenges to the East Asian Century), edited by Lam Kam-Yee, 90-100. Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, 2014.
- Loo, Fook Weng, Bernard; Norman Vasu. “National Security and Singapore: As Assessment” in Terence Chong (ed.), Management of Success. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2010.
- Vasu, Norman. "Social Resilience in Singapore: Reflections from the London Bombings." In Norman Vasu (ed). Social Resilience in Singapore: Reflections from the London Bombings. Singapore: Select Publishing, 2007.
- Vasu, Norman. ‘Locating S. Rajaratnam’s Multiculturalism’, in S. Rajaratnam on Singapore: From Ideas to Reality, edited by Kwa Chong Guan, Singapore: World Scientific Press.
- “Understanding the Perceptions of Meritocracy Among Singaporean Youth” (with Terri-Anne Teo), TODAY, 27 November 2018
- “Lessons from War of the Worlds, 80 years on” (with Benjamin Ang), TODAY, 29 October 2018
- “How Hawaii Handles Hurricane Lane Holds Lessons For Singapore”, TODAY, 11 October 2018
- “Three issues to consider in drafting policies to tackle disinformation” (with Benjamin Ang), TODAY, 28 September 2018
- “Time To Rethink Our Expectations Of Immigrants And Where They Belong?”, TODAY, 4 September 2018
- “Purpose, Ideology and Upheaval”, Think Pieces 7th International Risk Assessment and Horizon Scanning Symposium 2017, 10 July 2017
- “Lessons in preparedness and unity” (with Nur Diyanah Binte Anwar), The Straits Times, 25 May 2017
- “Othman Wok, Multiculturalism and the Nation” (with Nur Diyanah Binte Anwar), The Straits Times, 19 April 2017
- “Embracing Technology to Boost National Security” (with Benjamin Ang), Today, 22 December 2016
- “Prakash, Pravin, and Norman Vasu. “The Other Lesson Singapore Can Learn From Brexit.” The Diplomat, July 12, 2016.” (with Pravin Prakash), The Diplomat, 12 July 2016
- Vasu, Norman. 'U.S. Asia Policy: From Pivot to Pirouette to Pivot', COMOPS Journal, November 28, 2012.
- Yeap, Su Yin, Norman Vasu and Yolanda Chin. "Resilience and National Security". In Resilience: An Interdisciplinary Dialogue. School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Nanyang Technological University, 8 - 9 June 2011.
Last updated on 08/03/2021