Following links control the content below
- Areas of Expertise
- Professional Activities
- RSIS Publications
- External Publications
- Teaching Modules
Dr. Kaewkamol “Karen” Pitakdumrongkit is Deputy Head and Assistant Professor at the Centre for Multilateralism Studies, S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS) of Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. She completed her MA and PhD in Political Science at the University of California, Santa Barbara, U.S.A. Her research interests include international economic negotiation, Southeast Asian and East Asian economic governance (focusing on trade, money and finance), regional-global economic governance dynamics, the ASEAN Economic Community, and cooperation between ASEAN and dialogue partners (ASEAN-Plus frameworks). She has published in various outlets such as The Singapore Economic Review, The International Relations of the Asia-Pacific, The Pacific Review, Australian Outlook, The Diplomat, Eurasia Review and East Asia Forum. Her media interviews include Bangkok Post, Bloomberg, Business Times, Channel News Asia, CNBC Asia-Pacific, New Straits Times, The Strait Times, South China Morning Post, and Xinhua. Besides publications and media engagement, Dr. Karen organized several capacity-building programmes such as the Annual RSIS-World Trade Organization (WTO) Parliamentarian Workshops in Singapore, and In-Country Workshops on Technical Trade Issues which are tailored to the specific needs of the trade officials in Asian countries. She was also part of the team involved in composing the elements of the ASEAN Economic Community Blueprint 2025. In addition, Dr. Karen teaches courses on International Economics for International Political Economy, and the Political Economy of Southeast Asia at the RSIS MSc International Political Economy programme, and occasionally provides briefings to international diplomats and military students at Singapore’s Goh Keng Swee Command and Staff College.
Areas of Expertise
- International Negotiations
- International Economic Governance (e.g. WTO, IMF, AIIB, CPTPP, RCEP)
- Regional-Global Economic Governance Dynamics
- Free and Open Indo-Pacific
- Economic Development
- ASEAN+3 Financial Cooperation
- ASEAN Economic Community and ASEAN’s External Economic Relations
- Mekong subregion
Referee for the following journals: Global Studies Quarterly, Journal of Southeast Asian Economies, Journal of Asian and African Studies, International Journal of East Asian Studies, International Relations of Asia-Pacific, International Theory, Pacific Affairs, Pacific Review, and Singapore Economic Review.
WP280 | Assessing the Progress of AEC Projects: A New Approach
05 September, 2014
Co-chairing the ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus: The Case of the ASEAN Center of Military Medicine (ACMM)
09 March, 2020
“A Competitive Development Bazaar?”: ASEAN Dialogue Partners’ Policies and Their Implications for the Mekong Subregion
14 March, 2019
Addressing Digital Protectionism in ASEAN: Towards Better Regional Governance in the Digital Age
21 March, 2018
Participatory Policymaking: The Crafting of Thailand’s Medical Hub Policy
24 March, 2017
Managing ASEAN's External Relations via the Country Coordinator: Lessons Learned from Thailand
22 February, 2016
Governance of East Asian Regional Economic Architectures
01 November, 2013
WTO in Limbo: Urgent Need for New Director-General
26 November, 2020
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Financing Thai SMEs in the Pandemic Era
21 October, 2020
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Managing Economic Fallout: ASEAN+3’s Incomplete Effort
06 August, 2020
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Regional Finance Cooperation: Can It Weather the Storm?
26 May, 2020
Global Health Security - COVID-19’s Economic Fallout: The Logic of Pump Priming
03 March, 2020
The Post-Brexit World: Closer UK-ASEAN Economic Ties?
11 November, 2019
RCEP: The Deal That Cannot Fail
07 November, 2019
34th ASEAN Summit and Thailand: Headway or Uncertainty?
02 July, 2019
RSIS-WTO Parliamentarian Workshop - Trade and Sustainable Development: Achieving the UN’s 2030 Agenda
10 June, 2019
Economic Headwinds in 2019: Navigating Priorities for ASEAN
07 January, 2019
RCEP: Another Missed Deadline
14 November, 2018
Sustainable Development: Can ASEAN Lead the Process?
15 October, 2018
CO18132 | Indo-Pacific: US Role in Infrastructure
06 August, 2018
CO18097 | Inching For A Trade War: Worst is Yet to Come
14 June, 2018
CO18066 | East Asian Financial Safety Net: The Problem of Leadership
09 April, 2018
CO18030 | China’s Maritime Silk Road: Challenging Test for ASEAN
23 February, 2018
CO17211 | Trump in Southeast Asia: Opportunity to Bolster US-ASEAN Economic Ties?
08 November, 2017
CO16283 | Thailand’s Rice Conundrum: Time for Economic Restructuring
17 November, 2016
CO16278 | The Rise of Trump and Its Global Implications - Trump’s Victory: Future of International Monetary and Financial System
10 November, 2016
CO16160 | Brexit and Its Aftermath - The Post-Brexit World: How Should East Asian Finance Cope?
28 June, 2016
CO16079 | After AIIB, What’s Next?
08 April, 2016
CO15213 | TPP: A win for ASEAN, A loss for WTO?
12 October, 2015
CO15181 | Thailand’s Troubled Economy: New Cabinet, New Hope?
25 August, 2015
CO15058 | ASEAN Economic Community: Slow Progress on Labour Issues
18 March, 2015
CO14196 | Governing ASEAN e-Commerce: Getting Cloudier
08 October, 2014
CO14093 | ASEAN SMEs: Same-Day Delivery Services for More Growth?
19 May, 2014
CO13190 | Beijing’s ASEAN Embrace: Making Hay While the Sun Shines
09 October, 2013
CO13086 | "Going Niche" for ASEAN Economic Community
06 May, 2013
CO13078 | ASEAN Unity: From Word to Deed
26 April, 2013
CO13076 | The Myanmar Government and Ethnic Minorities: An Unhappy Marriage
25 April, 2013
Commemorative / Event Reports
- The Impact of the Trump Administration’s Indo-Pacific Strategy on Regional Economic Governance. Honolulu: East-West Center, 2019
- Negotiating Financial Agreement in East Asia: Surviving the Turbulence. : Routledge, 2015
- “What Causes Changes in International Governance Details?: An Economic Security Perspective” in Review of International Political Economy, 2020
- “Neo-Liberalism, the Rise of the Unelected and Policymaking in Thailand: The Case of the Medical Tourism Industry” (with Guanie Lim) in Journal of Contemporary Asia, 2020
- “Governing Medical Tourism: The Roles of Singaporean Government” in Thailand and the World Economy, 38, 1, 2020, 29-53
- “Economics and Trade Impact of the Silk Road Economic Belt Initiative” in Panorama, Trade and Economic Connectivity in the Age of Economic Uncertainty, No. 1, 2019, pp. 47-58
- “The U.S. Indo-Pacific Strategy and Its Implications for U.S.-ASEAN Economic Governance Architecture” in Joint U.S.-Korea Academic Studies, Vol. 30, 2019, pp. 258-275
- “Co-chairing Asia-Pacific Defence Diplomacy: The Case ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting Plus” (with Nantasit Klaisringoen) in Australian Journal of International Affairs, Vol. 73, No. 1, 2019. pp. 64-81
- Kaewkamol Karen Pitakdumrongkit (2017). "Building Exchange-Rate Governance Within the ASEAN+3 Process." Global Asia, Vol. 12, No. 4, Winter 2017, pp. 98-102.
- Pitakdumrongkit (2017). “Beyond the Secretariat: Addressing Governance Issues in ASEAN Economic Community” (2017), The Singapore Economic Review, 62(3): 741–759
- “Shaping the Future of East Asian Economic Architectures: Views of ASEAN” in Joint U.S.-Korea Academic Studies,, 27, 2016, 245-264
- Pitakdumrongkit, Kaewkamol. “Coordinating the South China Sea Issue: Thailand’s Roles in the Code of Conduct Development”. International Relations of the Asia Pacific (2015). doi:10.1093/irap/lcv006
- Pitakdumrongkit, Kaewkamol. “Co-Chairing International Negotiations: The Case of the Chiang Mai Initiative Multilateralization.” The Pacific Review 28 No 4 (2015): 577-605. doi: 10.1080/09512748.2015.1012540
Chapters in Edited Books
- “The Politics of East Asian Financial Agreement: The Case of the CMIM” in Tomoo Kikuchi and Masaya Sakuragawa (Eds.), Financial Cooperation in East Asia. Singapore: S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, 2019, pp. 65-71
- Kaewkamol Pitakdumrongkit. “Coordinating ASEAN’s External Relations: Evidence from Thailand.' Paper presented at the 12th International Conference on Thai Studies, University of Sydney, Australia, April 21-22, 2014.
- “ASEAN’s Perspective on Economic Recovery”, Brookings Institution Southeast Asia Insights, 17 December 2020
- “COVID-19 and ASEAN Cooperation: The State of Play and Ways Forward”, AsiaGlobal Online, 7 October 2020
- ““ASEAN’s RCEP and sustainability challenges and achievements.” ”, East Asia Forum, 24 January 2020
- “Can Seoul’s Efforts Flow More Investments from Han to Mekong River?” (with Shawn Ho), The Straits Times, 29 November 2019
- “Navigating Economic Integration amidst US-China Strategic Competition and Rising Uncertainties”, Australian Outlook, 1 October 2019
- “Washington’s Fragile Economic Plans for the Indo-Pacific”, East Asia Forum, 3 July 2019
- “Managing volatility with a smile: how tumultuous Thailand puts a stable face on ASEAN”, Australian Strategic Policy Institute, 7 May 2019
- “Can ASEAN Play a Greater Role in the Mekong Subregion?” (with Shawn Ho), The Diplomat, 30 January 2019
- “Pence in Southeast Asia: Ways forward for U.S.-ASEAN cooperation on infrastructure development”, Brookings, 27 November 2018
- “Thailand’s 2019 election: what’s in it for regional economic integration?”, Asia Dialogue, 12 November 2018
- Pitakdumrongkit, K. (2018). “Thailand’s Political Dynamics and the Consequences for Regional Economic Integration.” Asia-Pacific Bulletin, No. 430, East-West Center, 11 July 2018.
- No knight in shining armour for CMIM- East Asia Forum
- “The 32nd ASEAN Summit’s Economic Priorities And Implications For US-ASEAN Economic Relations – Asia Pacific Bulletin: East-West Center”, Asia Pacific Bulletin, 2 May 2018
- Kaewkamol Pitakdumrongkit. "ASEAN at 50: Making Headway in the Economic Community." IAPS Dialogue, University of Nottingham, September 27, 2017.
- Pitakdumrongkit, K. (2017) Enriching the ASEAN Economic Community. Australian Outlook
- Kaewkamol Pitakdumrongkit. “ASEAN SMEs: Same-Day Delivery Services for More Growth?.” Eurasia Review, May 20, 2014.
- Kaewkamol Pitakdumrongkit and Benjamin Ho. “Beijing’s ASEAN Embrace: Making Hay While the Sun Shines.” Eurasia Review, October 10, 2013.
- Kaewkamol Pitakdumrongkit. "The Myanmar Government and Ethnic Minorities: An Unhappy Marriage." The Jakarta Post on May 5, 2013.
Last updated on 27/11/2020