Following links control the content below
Joseph Franco specialises in countering violent extremism, counterinsurgency, and counterterrorism. As Research Fellow with the Centre of Excellence for National Security at RSIS, Joseph examines terrorist networks in maritime Southeast Asia and best practices in countering violent extremism (CVE). He obtained his MSc in International Relations at RSIS through an ASEAN Graduate Scholarship. Joseph previously worked for the Chief of Staff, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), and the J3, AFP; researching extensively on internal conflict, peacekeeping operations, defence procurement, Asia-Pacific security, and special operations forces. Joseph was also the lead writer of the AFP Peace and Development Team Manual—a novel, community-based approach to insurgency. He is a frequent resource person for international media such as Time, Channel News Asia, and Deutsche Welle.
Areas of Expertise
- Asia Pacific Security
- Member, Crisis Mappers
- Contributing Analyst, Wikistrat
CO17107 | The Maute Group: New Vanguard of IS in Southeast Asia?
31 May, 2017
CO15027 | Complex Terrorist Threats: Singapore’s Response
10 February, 2015
CO14221 | Pledges to Islamic State: Weak and Strong Alliances
12 November, 2014
CO14197 | Terrorist Threats from the Maritime Domain: Singapore’s Response
10 October, 2014
CO14181 | Islamic State and Southern Philippines: Tenuous links with militants
12 September, 2014
CO14134 | A new "caliphate" in the Middle East: Is there an Abu Sayyaf-ISIS Link?
09 July, 2014
CO14091 | Security of Sports Venues: Protecting Events from Terrorism
16 May, 2014
CO14041 | Peace in Mindanao: The Challenge of Disarming Rebels
27 February, 2014
CO13168 | The Zamboanga Standoff: Role of the Nur Misuari Group
17 September, 2013
CO13149 | Attacks in Central Mindanao: Overestimating the Bangsamoro Splinter Group
13 August, 2013
CO13044 | The Sabah-Sulu Crisis: Time to revisit the Sulu Zone?
12 March, 2013
CO13033 | Trading Swords for Ploughshares: How Sajahatra Bangsamoro could bring peace to Mindanao
18 February, 2013
CO12189 | The 2012 Bangsamoro Framework Agreement: Lessons Learned?
09 October, 2012
CO12133 | A new political entity in Mindanao? Challenges of election-related dysfunction and violence
23 July, 2012
CO12119 | Involving Indonesia in the Philippine Peace Process: Clearing Away "Inclement Weather"?
09 July, 2012
- Franco, Joseph. “The Philippines: The Moro Islamic Liberation Front – A Pragmatic Power Structure” Impunity: Countering Illicit Power in War and Transition (Washington D.C., National Defense University Press, 2016), 170-189. Accessed June 2, 2016. http://cco.ndu.edu/Portals/96/Documents/Impunity/Impunity%20FINAL%20for%20Web.pdf
- Franco, Joseph. "Self-Reliant Defense and People-Centered Security" in Security Sector Reform: Modern Defense Force Philippines, Quezon City: Ateneo De Manila University and Armed Forces of the Philippines, 2014. Accessed June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/6970220/Self-Reliant_Defense_and_People-Centred_Security
- Franco, Joseph. "Enhancing Synergy within the Defense Establishment" in Peace and Development Towards Ending Insurgency Quezon City. Armed Forces of the Philippines, 2007.
- Franco, Joseph. “Malaysia: Unsung Hero of the Philippine Peace Process.” Asian Security, Vol. 9 No.3 (2013): 211–230. doi: 10.1080/14799855.2013.832210
- Franco, Joseph. "Examining the Extraordinary: A Proposal for Strategic-Level Analysis of the AFP SOF". OSS Digest No. 3 (2010): 3-11. Accessed on June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/5482357/Examining_the_Extraordinary_A_Proposal_for_Strategic_Level_Analyses_of_the_AFP_SOF_3rd_Quarter2010_
- Franco, Joseph. "Uncertain Seas and Wider Horizons: Rationale for Future Philippine Submarine Warfare Capability". OSS Digest No. 3 (2010): 18-25. Accessed on June 06, 2014 at ttps://www.academia.edu/6755880/Uncertain_Seas_and_Wider_Horizons_Rationale_for_Future_Philippine_Submarine_Warfare_Capability
- Franco, Joseph. "Fighting By, With and Through the People: Reverting the SFR(A) to Unconventional Warfare". OSS Digest No. 1 (2010): 2-11, Accessed on June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/5482354/Fighting_By_With_and_Through_the_People-Reverting_the_SFR_A_to_Unconventional_Warfare_1st_Quarter2010_
- Franco, Joseph. "Addressing Capability Gaps for International Military Intervention". OSS Digest No. 1 (2009): 22-27. Accessed on June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/5482356/Addressing_Capability_Gaps_for_International_Military_Intervention_1st-2nd_Quarter2009_
- Franco, Joseph. "Eyes in the Sky: Enhancing the AFP's Capbilities with UAVs". OSS Digest No. 4 (2008): 10-14. Accessed on June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/5482353/Eyes_in_the_Sky_Enhancing_the_AFPs_Capabilities_with_UAVs_4th_Quarter2008_
- Franco, Joseph. "Beyond Counter-Terrorism: Expanding Military Cooperation Between the Philippines and Australia.". OSS Digest No. 4 (2007): 15-19. Accessed on June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/5482355/Beyond_Counter-Terrorism_Expanding_Philippine-Australia_Relations_4th_Quarter_2007_
- Franco, Joseph. "Military Assistance: Bane or Boon?". OSS Digest No. 2 (2007): 9-13. Accessed on June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/5482360/Military_Assistance_Bane_or_Boon_2nd-3rd_Quarter2007_
- Franco, Joseph "Violence and Peace Spoilers in the Southern Philippines" Middle East-Asia Project Essay Series, Middle East Institute, July 15, 2014. Accessed on September 01, 2014 at http://www.mei.edu/content/map/violence-and-peace-spoilers-southern-philippines
- Franco, Joseph. "Why Beijing Shouldn't Worry About Manila's Military Upgrades". East Asia Forum, April 19, 2014. Accessed June 06, 2014 at http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2014/04/19/why-beijing-shouldnt-worry-about-manilas-military-upgrades/
- Liow, Joseph Chin Yong, and Joseph Franco. “Positive Signs for a Southern Philippine Peace.” GlobalBrief, June 17, 2013. Accessed June 06, 2014 at http://globalbrief.ca/blog/2013/06/17/positive-signs-for-a-southern-philippine-peace/
- Franco, Joseph. "Taming 'Lone Wolves': Diminishing the Appeal of 'Self-Radicalisation'". Eurasia Review, May 13, 2013. Accessed June 06, 2014 at http://www.eurasiareview.com/03052013-taming-lone-wolves-diminishing-the-appeal-af-self-radicalisation-analysis/
- Franco, Joseph and Joseph Liow Chin Yong. "Air of Optimism as Peace Takes Root in Mindanao." The Straits Times, February 25, 2013.
- Franco, Joseph. "Mobs Versus Militias: A Constructive Role for the "Angry Masses" in Post-Conflict Libya?". Albany Tribune, November 27, 2012. Accessed June 06, 2014 at http://www.albanytribune.com/26112012-mobs-versus-militias-a-constructive-role-for-the-angry-masses-in-post-conflict-libya-analysis/#.ULQz7oFz0Sh
- Franco, Joseph and Yeap Su Yin. "President Aquino and the 2012 Cybercrime Prevention Act". East Asia Forum, October 31, 2012. Accessed June 06, 2014 at http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2012/10/31/president-aquino-and-the-2012-cybercrime-prevention-act/
- Franco, Joseph and Yeap Su Yin. "President Aquino and the 2012 Cybercrime Prevention Act". East Asia Forum, 31 October 2012. Accessed June 6, 2014. http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2012/10/31/president-aquino-and-the-2012-cybercrime-prevention-act/
Last updated on 10/10/2017