Following links control the content below
Joseph Franco specialises in countering violent extremism (CVE) and counterinsurgency. As Research Fellow with the Centre of Excellence for National Security at RSIS, Joseph examines terrorist networks in maritime Southeast Asia and best practices in CVE. He obtained his MSc in International Relations at RSIS through an ASEAN Graduate Scholarship. He is a frequent resource person for international media such as the BBC, Channel News Asia, Deutsche Welle, and TIME.
Joseph previously worked for the Chief of Staff, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), and the J3, AFP. He provided consulting services for the enhancement of internal security operations; deployment of peacekeeping forces; and the employment of special operations forces.
Joseph was also the lead writer of the AFP Peace and Development Team Manual—a novel, community-based approach to counterinsurgency.
Areas of Expertise
- Asia Pacific Security
- Member, Crisis Mappers
- Contributing Analyst, Wikistrat
- RESOLVE Network Research Advisory Council (2020– Present) Member
- Verve Research (2019 – Present) Fellow
- CSIS Pacific Forum Young Leaders Program (2013 – Present) Young Leader
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Rising Islamophobia in India: Exploiting the Pandemic?
03 June, 2020
Global Health Security - COVID-19: What Changes – and What Doesn’t
17 April, 2020
Breakthrough for Bangsamoro: Can They Overcome the Odds?
11 April, 2019
CO18156 | After Marawi: Time For Broader ASEAN Approach?
26 September, 2018
CO17107 | The Maute Group: New Vanguard of IS in Southeast Asia?
31 May, 2017
CO15027 | Complex Terrorist Threats: Singapore’s Response
10 February, 2015
CO14221 | Pledges to Islamic State: Weak and Strong Alliances
12 November, 2014
CO14197 | Terrorist Threats from the Maritime Domain: Singapore’s Response
10 October, 2014
CO14181 | Islamic State and Southern Philippines: Tenuous links with militants
12 September, 2014
CO14134 | A new "caliphate" in the Middle East: Is there an Abu Sayyaf-ISIS Link?
09 July, 2014
CO14091 | Security of Sports Venues: Protecting Events from Terrorism
16 May, 2014
CO14041 | Peace in Mindanao: The Challenge of Disarming Rebels
27 February, 2014
CO13168 | The Zamboanga Standoff: Role of the Nur Misuari Group
17 September, 2013
CO13149 | Attacks in Central Mindanao: Overestimating the Bangsamoro Splinter Group
13 August, 2013
CO13044 | The Sabah-Sulu Crisis: Time to revisit the Sulu Zone?
12 March, 2013
CO13033 | Trading Swords for Ploughshares: How Sajahatra Bangsamoro could bring peace to Mindanao
18 February, 2013
CO12189 | The 2012 Bangsamoro Framework Agreement: Lessons Learned?
09 October, 2012
CO12133 | A new political entity in Mindanao? Challenges of election-related dysfunction and violence
23 July, 2012
CO12119 | Involving Indonesia in the Philippine Peace Process: Clearing Away "Inclement Weather"?
09 July, 2012
GNET-CENS Online Workshop on Right Wing Extremism: East and West
07 May, 2021
GNET-CENS Workshop: The Fusion of Offline and Online Interventions against Extremism in the Philippines
13 January, 2021
Countering Extremism: Now What?
17 December, 2018
The 2018 Southeast Asia Counter-Terrorism Symposium: A Collective Approach
05 December, 2018
Commemorative / Event Reports
- “Detecting Future ‘Marawis’: Considering Alternative Indicators for Assessing the Potential for New Manifestations of Violent Extremism in Mindanao” in Perspecives in Terrorism, 14, 1, 2020, 3-12
- “Migration, Transnational Crime and Terrorism: Exploring the Nexus in Europe and Southeast Asia” (with Cameron Sumpter) in Perspectives on Terrorism, Vol. 12, Issue 5, 2018. pp. 36-50
- “Preventing Other “Marawis” in the Southern Philippines” in Asia & the Pacific Policy Studies, Vol. 5, Issue 2, 2018, pp. 362-369
- Franco, Joseph. “Malaysia: Unsung Hero of the Philippine Peace Process.” Asian Security, Vol. 9 No.3 (2013): 211–230. doi: 10.1080/14799855.2013.832210
- Franco, Joseph. "Examining the Extraordinary: A Proposal for Strategic-Level Analysis of the AFP SOF". OSS Digest No. 3 (2010): 3-11. Accessed on June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/5482357/Examining_the_Extraordinary_A_Proposal_for_Strategic_Level_Analyses_of_the_AFP_SOF_3rd_Quarter2010_
- Franco, Joseph. "Uncertain Seas and Wider Horizons: Rationale for Future Philippine Submarine Warfare Capability". OSS Digest No. 3 (2010): 18-25. Accessed on June 06, 2014 at ttps://www.academia.edu/6755880/Uncertain_Seas_and_Wider_Horizons_Rationale_for_Future_Philippine_Submarine_Warfare_Capability
- Franco, Joseph. "Fighting By, With and Through the People: Reverting the SFR(A) to Unconventional Warfare". OSS Digest No. 1 (2010): 2-11, Accessed on June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/5482354/Fighting_By_With_and_Through_the_People-Reverting_the_SFR_A_to_Unconventional_Warfare_1st_Quarter2010_
- Franco, Joseph. "Addressing Capability Gaps for International Military Intervention". OSS Digest No. 1 (2009): 22-27. Accessed on June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/5482356/Addressing_Capability_Gaps_for_International_Military_Intervention_1st-2nd_Quarter2009_
- Franco, Joseph. "Eyes in the Sky: Enhancing the AFP's Capbilities with UAVs". OSS Digest No. 4 (2008): 10-14. Accessed on June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/5482353/Eyes_in_the_Sky_Enhancing_the_AFPs_Capabilities_with_UAVs_4th_Quarter2008_
- Franco, Joseph. "Beyond Counter-Terrorism: Expanding Military Cooperation Between the Philippines and Australia.". OSS Digest No. 4 (2007): 15-19. Accessed on June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/5482355/Beyond_Counter-Terrorism_Expanding_Philippine-Australia_Relations_4th_Quarter_2007_
- Franco, Joseph. "Military Assistance: Bane or Boon?". OSS Digest No. 2 (2007): 9-13. Accessed on June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/5482360/Military_Assistance_Bane_or_Boon_2nd-3rd_Quarter2007_
Chapters in Edited Books
- “Fighting Terrorism in Southeast Asia: Continuing Beyond ISIS” in Dr. Rashid Al-Khayoun, Prof. Mohammad ALHADDAD, Omar al-Bashir al-Turabi, Dr. Rita Faraj, Ibrahim Amin Nimer, Combating ISIS: Examples from Southeast Asian Nations. United Arab Emirates: Al-Masbar Center for Studies and Research, 2019, 16
- “Confronting the Threat of an ISIS Province in Mindanao” in Khader Majeed, Learning from Violent Extremist Attacks: Behavioural Sciences Insights for Practitioners and Policymakers. New Jersey, USA: World Scientific , 2019, pp. 175-201
- Franco, Joseph. “The Philippines: The Moro Islamic Liberation Front – A Pragmatic Power Structure” Impunity: Countering Illicit Power in War and Transition (Washington D.C., National Defense University Press, 2016), 170-189. Accessed June 2, 2016. http://cco.ndu.edu/Portals/96/Documents/Impunity/Impunity%20FINAL%20for%20Web.pdf
- Franco, Joseph. "Self-Reliant Defense and People-Centered Security" in Security Sector Reform: Modern Defense Force Philippines, Quezon City: Ateneo De Manila University and Armed Forces of the Philippines, 2014. Accessed June 06, 2014 at https://www.academia.edu/6970220/Self-Reliant_Defense_and_People-Centred_Security
- Franco, Joseph. "Enhancing Synergy within the Defense Establishment" in Peace and Development Towards Ending Insurgency Quezon City. Armed Forces of the Philippines, 2007.
- Unpacking Violent Extremism: Dynamics in the Philippines, RESOLVE Network, The United States of America, 24 March 2020
- “Cross-Border Trade in the Southern Philippines Amidst Covid-19”, The Asia Foundation, 30 March 2021
- “Old methods, new platforms: The Philippine military on social media”, Rappler, 2 October 2020
- “Terrorism Legislation in the Social Media Age”, Global Network on Extremism & Techonology, 3 August 2020
- “Preempting Incel-Inspired Violent Extremism in Asia”, Australian Institute of International Affairs, 30 July 2020
- “Joseph Franco. “Preventing other ‘Marawis'” Policy Forum (19 April 2018)”, Policy Forum, 19 April 2019
- “Joseph Franco. “Building the Bangsamoro in the Shadow of Marawi and Jolo” East Asia Forum (21 February 2019)”, East Asia Forum, 21 February 2019
- “Transnational Security in the Sulu Sea: Something New or Something Old?”, SOUTHEAST ASIA OBSERVATORY, 4 January 2019
- “Joseph Franco. “ASEAN must adapt its approach to Marawi”, East Asia Forum (23 October 2018)”, East Asia Forum, 23 October 2018
- “Franco, Joseph. “Philippines: Addressing Islamist Militancy after the Battle for Marawi” International Crisis Group, 17 July 2018”, International Crisis Group, 17 July 2018
- “Joseph Franco. “Philippines: Addressing Islamist Militancy after the Battle for Marawi” International Crisis Group (17 July 2018)”, International Crisis Group, 17 July 2018
- “Franco, Joseph. “Preventing Other ‘Marawis’” Policy Forum, 19 April 2018.”, Policy Forum, 19 April 2018
- Franco, Joseph "Violence and Peace Spoilers in the Southern Philippines" Middle East-Asia Project Essay Series, Middle East Institute, July 15, 2014. Accessed on September 01, 2014 at http://www.mei.edu/content/map/violence-and-peace-spoilers-southern-philippines
- Franco, Joseph. "Why Beijing Shouldn't Worry About Manila's Military Upgrades". East Asia Forum, April 19, 2014. Accessed June 06, 2014 at http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2014/04/19/why-beijing-shouldnt-worry-about-manilas-military-upgrades/
- “Positive Signs for a Southern Philippine Peace” (with Joseph Liow Chin Yong), Global Brief, 17 June 2013
- Franco, Joseph. "Taming 'Lone Wolves': Diminishing the Appeal of 'Self-Radicalisation'". Eurasia Review, May 13, 2013. Accessed June 06, 2014 at http://www.eurasiareview.com/03052013-taming-lone-wolves-diminishing-the-appeal-af-self-radicalisation-analysis/
- Franco, Joseph and Joseph Liow Chin Yong. "Air of Optimism as Peace Takes Root in Mindanao." The Straits Times, February 25, 2013.
- Franco, Joseph. "Mobs Versus Militias: A Constructive Role for the "Angry Masses" in Post-Conflict Libya?". Albany Tribune, November 27, 2012. Accessed June 06, 2014 at http://www.albanytribune.com/26112012-mobs-versus-militias-a-constructive-role-for-the-angry-masses-in-post-conflict-libya-analysis/#.ULQz7oFz0Sh
- Franco, Joseph and Yeap Su Yin. "President Aquino and the 2012 Cybercrime Prevention Act". East Asia Forum, October 31, 2012. Accessed June 06, 2014 at http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2012/10/31/president-aquino-and-the-2012-cybercrime-prevention-act/
- Franco, Joseph and Yeap Su Yin. "President Aquino and the 2012 Cybercrime Prevention Act". East Asia Forum, 31 October 2012. Accessed June 6, 2014. http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2012/10/31/president-aquino-and-the-2012-cybercrime-prevention-act/
- Guest speaker, National Security Studies Program on “Terrorism in Southeast Asia” by the National Defence College of the Philippines, 07 January 2021 [via WebEx]
- Panel member/speaker, CENS-GNET Online Workshop on “The Fusion of Offline and Online Interventions against Extremism in the Philippines” by CENS, 16 December 2020 [via Zoom]
- Panel member/speaker “The Future of Counter-Terrorism: National Security or Criminal Behaviour?” by Network of ASEAN-Russian Think Tanks Online Roundtable, 20 November 2020 [via ZOOM]
- Panel member/speaker, ICWA Webinar on “ASEAN’s Regional Security Vision and the Sabah Dispute” by the Indian Council of World Affairs, 12 October 2020 [via Zoom]
Last updated on 31/03/2021