Following links control the content below
Jennifer Yang Hui is an Associate Research Fellow at the Centre of Excellence for National Security (CENS), a constituent unit of the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU). Jennifer has an Honours degree in History from the National University of Singapore (NUS). She is a Tun Dato Sir Cheng Lock Tan Master of Arts (M.A.) scholar in Southeast Asian Studies, also from NUS. Jennifer’s research interests are: the evolution and weaponisation of social media and technology, the role of the social media in contemporary Indonesia. She had recently completed a study on digital manipulation campaign and electoral politics in Indonesia.
Areas of Expertise
- Social media analytics
- Security sector reform, ethno-religious relations and the role of the social media in contemporary Indonesia
- Epistemology, knowledge-making and their implications on digital maturity
WP176 | Significance of Abu Dujana and Zarkasih's Verdict
31 March, 2009
WP167 | The Internet in Indonesia: Development and Impact of Radical Websites
10 October, 2008
Countermeasures Against Foreign Interference
17 April, 2020
Cases of Foreign Interference in Asia
26 March, 2020
Countering Fake News: A Survey of Recent Global Initiatives
07 March, 2018
Crowdsourcing for National Security
17 March, 2015
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Pandemic and Beyond: Phishing in a Larger Pond
15 June, 2020
Global Health Security: COVID-19 and Its Impacts - Backwash of Uncertainty: Exploitation or Service?
12 May, 2020
Global Health Security - COVID-19: What Changes – and What Doesn’t
17 April, 2020
CO16185 | Wisdom of the (Private) Crowd: Helping Law Enforcement Crowdsourcing
20 July, 2016
CO14150 | Indonesia’s Future Elections: Will Social Media Forecasts Determine Outcome?
30 July, 2014
CO14120 | Indonesian Presidential Election: Will Social Media Forecasts Prove Right?
25 June, 2014
CO13182 | Counter-Terrorism in Indonesia: Enter the TNI's Task Force
02 October, 2013
CO13160 | Religious Harmony in Indonesia: Need for New Approaches
27 August, 2013
CO12208 | Attacks on Indonesian Police: Not Just Terrorism?
07 November, 2012
CO12138 | Negotiating the World's Cyber Frontier
30 July, 2012
CO08067 | The Surprise Verdict: Proscription of Jema’ah Islamiyah
19 June, 2008
CO07117 | Counter-Terrorism in Indonesia: Velvet-Glove Approach Works
05 November, 2007
CENS Workshop: The Age of Rages
29 April, 2019
Commemorative / Event Reports
- Yang Hui, Jennifer. “Crowdsourcing Terrorism: Utopia, Martyrdom and Citizenship Reimagined.” Journal of Asian Security and International Affairs Vol 4, No. 3 (2017): 337-352. December 7, 2017. Accessed 14 December, 2017, doi: 10.1177/2347797017731955
- Yang Hui, Jennifer and Dymples Leong. "The Era of Ubiquitous Listening: Living in a World of Speech-Activated Devices.", August 18, 2017, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy Research Paper No. 17-21. Accessed 14 December 2017 https://ssrn.com/abstract=3021623.
- Yang Hui, Jennifer. Review of Questioning Modernity in Indonesia and Malaysia, edited by Wendy Mee and Joel S. Kahn. Southeast Asian Studies, Vol. 2, No. 3 (2013): 620-623.
- Yang Hui, Jennifer. Review of The Indonesian Labour Market: Changes and Challenges, edited by Shafiq Dhanani, Iyanatul Islam and Anis Chowdhury. ASEAN Economic Bulletin, Vol. 28, No. 1 (2011): 99-100.
- Yang Hui, Jennifer. Review of Chinese Identity in Post-Suharto Indonesia: Culture, Politics and Media, by Chang-Yau Hoon. New Asia Books, February 12, 2010. Accessed June 6, 2014. http://www.newasiabooks.org/review/chinese-identity-post-suharto-indonesia
- Yang Hui, Jennifer. "The Internet in Indonesia: Development and Impact of Radical Websites." Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, Vol. 33, No. 2 (2010): 171-191.
Chapters in Edited Books
- “Social Media and the 2019 Indonesian elections: Hoax at the Centre Stage” in Malcolm Cook and Daljit Singh, Southeast Asian Affairs 2020. Singapore: Singapore: ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute, 2020, 155-174
Yang Hui, Jennifer. “Social Media Analytics for Intelligence and Countering Violent Extremism.” In Combating Violent Extremism and Radicalization in the Digital Era, edited by Majeed Khader, Loo Seng Neo, Gabriel Ong, Eunice Tan Mingyi, Jeffery Chin, 337-358. Singapore: IGI Global, 2016. Accessed June 2, 2016. http://www.igi-global.com/chapter/social-media-analytics-for-intelligence-and-countering-violent-extremism/150583
- “Toxic #Cybercampaigns: The Muslim Cyber Army versus Militant Pluralism” (with Jordan Newton), Global Network on Extremism and Technology (GNET) Insights, 2 October 2020
- “Seeking Wisdom Of The Crowd: Innovation And Trust-Building In A Pandemic”, Eurasia Review, 29 May 2020
- “The danger meme: Countering visual disinformation in Asia’s politics”, Lowy Interpreter, 3 April 2020
- “Tagging Manipulated Media in a Polarized World”, International Policy Digest, 20 March 2020
- “Fake News in Indian and Indonesian Elections 2019” (with Pravin Prakash), The Diplomat (Washington DC), 9 April 2019
- “WhatsApp targets fake news in lead-up to Indonesian election”, Lowy Interpreter, 1 February 2019
- “Crowdsourcing terror in Indonesia”, East Asia Forum, 21 June 2018
- “Success of the Singapore Police Force”, Homeland Voice, 1 March 2013
- “Yang Hui, Jennifer. “US Pivot to Asia and Indonesian Police Reform.” Asian Conflicts Reports Issue 22, January-February 2013.”, Asian Conflicts Reports, 1 January 2013
- “Yang Hui, Jennifer. “Strategic Communication in Papua.” Asian Conflicts Reports Issue 21, January-February 2012.”, Asian Conflicts Reports, 1 January 2012
- “Ramakrishna, Kumar, and Jennifer Yang Hui. “Southeast Asia’s War on Terror”. Asian Conflicts Reports Issue 1, January 2009.” (with Kumar Ramakrishna), Asian Conflicts Reports, 31 January 2009
Last updated on 11/05/2020