Following links control the content below
Gordon Kang is a Senior Analyst in the Regional Security Architecture Programme at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. He also contributes to and supports the work done by the Council for Security Cooperation in the Asia Pacific (CSCAP) Singapore. His research interests revolve around Foreign Policy and Politics in the Korean Peninsula (particularly on North Korea); Critical Security Studies and International Relations Theory; Geopolitics in East Asia; and Diplomacy and Engagement with North Korea.
Previously, he served two stints as Research Assistant at the Korea Centre, East Asian Institute (EAI), National University of Singapore (NUS), and at the Korean Studies Research Hub and Gender, Environment and Migration Cluster, Asia Institute, University of Melbourne. He was also Editorial Assistant for EAI’s Korea Bulletin.
He graduated from the Master of International Relations Thesis programme at the Australian National University (ANU) with Commendation (High Distinction), and also holds a Bachelor of Politics, Philosophy and Economics from the ANU.
Areas of Expertise
- Foreign Policy and Politics in the Korean Peninsula (particularly on North Korea)
- Critical Security Studies and International Relations Theory
- Geopolitics in East Asia
- Diplomacy and Engagement with North Korea
- “North Korean Climate Diplomacy: Engagement, Priorities, and Opportunities for Collaboration” (with Cesare M. Scartozzi) in The Pacific Review, 2023
- “ASEAN – Korea Relations, A Chronology of Key Events: July 2023 to September 2023”, Korea Bulletin, 30 October 2023
- “Singapore in South Korea’s Indo-Pacific Strategy”, The Diplomat, 7 September 2023
- “ASEAN – Korea Relations, A Chronology of Key Events: April 2023 to June 2023”, Korea Bulletin, 24 July 2023
- Speaker, Virtual Panel on “Presentation of Ideas for Peace and Cooperation Measures in Northeast Asia”, 5th Meeting of the CSCAP Study Group on Northeast Asia Peace and Cooperation, organised by The Japan Institute of International Affairs, 9 November 2023.
- Speaker, Panel on “Regional Maritime Security”, Republic of Korea-Singapore Security Forum, organised by the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, 3 November 2023.
- Speaker, Virtual Panel on “Reimagining ASEAN’s Role on the Korean Peninsula: From a Peripheral Actor to Key Facilitator”, organised by Universiti Malaya, 13 October 2023.
- Speaker, Panel on “G7 and G20: The Role of Intergovernmental Initiatives in Coordinating Security Dialogues”, organised by the Istituto per gli Studi di Politica Internazionale (ISPI), 29 September 2023.
- Speaker, Virtual Panel on “Normal(ising) Crises: Perspectives on Climate Change and COVID-19”, 16th Pan-European Conference on International Relations (PEC), organised by the European International Studies Association (EISA), 5 September 2023.
- Speaker, Panel on “Singapore Perspectives on Indo-Pacific Strategy”, ROK Indo-Pacific Strategy Track 1.5 Seminar: Exploring Cooperation with Singapore, organised by the Korea Association of International Studies (KAIS) and ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute, 29 August 2023.
- Speaker, Virtual Panel on “Regional Integration and Collaboration in Asia-Indo Pacific, Europe and the World”, International Studies Association (ISA) Asia-Pacific 2023 Conference, organised by ISA, 10 August 2023.
Last updated on 15/11/2023