Following links control the content below
- Areas of Expertise
- Professional Activities
- RSIS Publications
- External Publications
- RSIS Modules Taught
Farish A. Noor is presently Associate Professor (with tenure) at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University; and coordinator of the RSIS doctoral program. His area of research covers the political history of Southeast Asia and religio-political movements in the region.
He is the author of ‘America’s Encounters With Southeast Asia 1800-1900: Before The Pivot’ (Amsterdam University Press, 2018 tbp); ‘The Discursive Construction of Southeast Asia in 19th Century Colonial-Capitalist Discourse’ (Amsterdam University Press, 2016); ‘The Tablighi Jama’at in Southeast Asia’ (Amsterdam University Press, 2014); ‘The Madrasa in Asia: Political Activism and Transnational Linkages’ (With Martin van Bruinessen and Yoginder Sikand (Eds.), (Amsterdam University Press, 2008); ‘Islam Embedded: The Historical Development of the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party PAS: 1951-2003’, (Malaysian Sociological Research Institute (MSRI), Kuala Lumpur, 2004).
He is also a member of the United Nations Panel of Experts on Religion and Politics.
Areas of Expertise
- Political Religion in South and Southeast Asia
- New Modes of Religio-political Mobilisation in Asia
- Religious Violence and Counter-Terrorism in Asia
- Malaysian and Indonesian Studies
- Visiting Scholar for Asian Studies, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), Paris 2011
- Visiting Scholar, Institut D’etudes de L’Islam et des Societes du Monde Musulman (IISMM), Paris 2012
- Honorary Research Associate for the Centre for Dialogue, Centre of Dialogue, La Trobe University, Victoria, Australia 2012
- Member of the Global Experts panel on Religion and Politics in Asia, United Nations Alliance of Civilisations Programme(UNAoC), 2012
WP279 | Anti-Imperialism in the 19th Century: A Contemporary Critique of the British Invasion of Java in 1811
02 September, 2014
WP278 | John Anderson’s Data Mining Mission to Sumatra in 1823: When Method Creates the Object
26 August, 2014
WP275 | America in Southeast Asia before the ‘Pivot’: The ‘Battle of Quallah Battoo’ in 1832
12 June, 2014
WP242 | The Forum Betawi Rempug (FBR) of Jakarta: An Ethnic-Cultural Solidarity Movement in a Globalising Indonesia
26 June, 2012
WP233 | How Indonesia Sees ASEAN and the World: A Cursory Survey of the Social Studies and History textbooks of Indonesia, from Primary to Secondary Level.
22 February, 2012
WP231 | The Partai Keadilan Sejahtera (PKS) in the landscape of Indonesian Islamist Politics: Cadre-Training as Mode of Preventive Radicalisation?
30 November, 2011
WP213 | Mapping the Religious and Secular Parties in South Sulawesi and Tanah Toraja, Sulawesi, Indonesia
12 November, 2010
WP206 | From Empire to the War on Terror: The 1915 Indian Sepoy Mutiny in Singapore as a case study of the impact of profiling of religious and ethnic minorities.
30 July, 2010
WP191 | The Arrival and Spread of the Tablighi Jama’at In West Papua (Irian Jaya), Indonesia
10 February, 2010
WP175 | The Spread of the Tablighi Jama’at Across Western, Central and Eastern Java and the role of the Indian Muslim Diaspora
09 March, 2009
WP174 | The Tablighi Jama’at Movement in the Southern Provinces of Thailand Today: Networks and Modalities
09 March, 2009
WP163 | The Hindu Rights Action Force (HINDRAF) of Malaysia: Communitarianism Across Borders?
04 July, 2008
WP152 | Thinking the Unthinkable: The Modernization and Reform of Islamic Higher Education in Indonesia
15 February, 2008
WP139 | Ngruki Revisited: Modernity and Its Discontents at the Pondok Pesantren al-Mukmin of Ngruki, Surakarta
01 October, 2007
CO16262 | A New Player in Sabah Politics
19 October, 2016
CO16218 | The Burkini Debate in France: Triggering Painful Colonial Memories
29 August, 2016
CO16206 | Understanding the Proliferation of Political Parties in Malaysia
15 August, 2016
CO15122 | Rohingya Refugees: Turks to the Rescue
21 May, 2015
CO15031 | The Passing of Nik Aziz Nik Mat: Legacy of PAS’ Spiritual Leader
13 February, 2015
CO15032 | The Passing of Nik Aziz Nik Mat: Implications for PAS and Malaysian Politics
13 February, 2015
CO15008 | Responding to the Paris Attack: Beware the Fatal Error
09 January, 2015
CO14250 | Indonesia’s Trajectory 2014- 2019: An Insider’s Forecast
22 December, 2014
CO14234 | President Jokowi’s ‘Ordinary’ Style: Simplicity and the ‘Wealth of Poverty’?
25 November, 2014
CO14230 | How China Sees Itself and Its role in Asia
19 November, 2014
CO14206 | Addressing Indonesia’s Maritime Needs: Jokowi’s Ground and Sea-level Challenges
20 October, 2014
CO14176 | Responding to the Islamic State’s Foreign Fighters: Retribution or Rehabilitation?
09 September, 2014
CO14115 | Indonesian Presidential Election: Jaafar Umar Thalib’s ‘Jihad Against Pluralism’
17 June, 2014
CO13061 | General Election 2013: Religion as a Permanent Variable in Malaysian Politics?
10 April, 2013
CO13015 | Malaysia’s 13th General Election: Prospects and Challenges for DA
28 January, 2013
CO13010 | 13th Malaysian General Election: Prospects and Challenges for PAS
22 January, 2013
CO12212 | Is Malaysia Ready for an Islamist Prime Minister?
28 November, 2012
CO12167 | Malaysian Elections: Time for Anti-Party-Hopping Rule?
06 September, 2012
CO12152 | Indonesian Nationalism: Between the Bellicose and the Inclusive
14 August, 2012
CO12122 | The 1Malaysia Project: Uniting and Dividing at the Same Time
10 July, 2012
CO11103 | After the Bersih 2.0 Rally: Impact and Implications
14 July, 2011
CO11069 | Post-Sarawak Elections: The Sway of Chinese Voters
03 May, 2011
CO11032 | Malaysia’s ‘Interlok’ Issue: Communal Sensitivities & the Next Elections
02 March, 2011
CO11020 | A New ‘Sultan’ of Sulu in Malaysia: Implications for Politics and Bilateral Ties
14 February, 2011
CO11013 | Anti-Mubarak Protests in Malaysia: How Arab Issues Travel
09 February, 2011
CO10165 | PKR Elections: Anwar Strengthens his Hand
07 December, 2010
CO10143 | BN Regains Ground in Malaysia: Implications of Galas and Batu Sapi By-Elections
08 November, 2010
CO10007 | Religion and Identity in Malaysia
14 January, 2010
Bulletins and Newsletters
- America’s Encounters with Southeast Asia, 1800-1900
- Farish A. Noor, The Discursive Construction of Southeast Asia in 19th Century Colonial-Capitalist Discourse, Amsterdam University Press: 2016.
- Farish A Noor, The Malaysian Islamic Party 1951-2013: Islamism in a Mottled Nation, Amsterdam University Press, Religio-Politics in Asia Series 1, Amsterdam, 2014.
- Farish A. Noor, Diaspora: A History of the Indian Muslims in Southeast Asia. Malaysian Sociological Research Institute MSRI, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2013.
- Farish A. Noor, Islam on the Move: The Tablighi Jama’at Movement in Southeast Asia; Amsterdam University Press, Amsterdam, 2012. (Shortlisted for the ICAS prize for best work in Social Sciences, ICAS, 2013)
- Farish A. Noor, From Indrapura to Darul Makmur: A Deconstructive History of Pahang. Silverfish books, Kuala Lumpur, 2010.
- Farish A. Noor, Writings on the War on Terror, Global Media Publications, New Delhi, 2006.
- Farish A. Noor, Crosscurrents: Alternative Voices in Our Changing Times. Marshall Cavendish-Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, 2006.
- Farish A. Noor, Di San Zhi Yan Kan Ma Lai Xi Ya (Chinese edition of The Other Malaysia). Sin Chew Jit Poh Press, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, 2004.
- Farish A. Noor and Eddin Khoo, Spirit of Wood: The Art of Malay Woodcarving. Works of Master Craftsmen from Kelantan, Trengganu and Patani. Periplus publishers, Singapore. 2003.
- Farish A. Noor, The Other Malaysia: Writings on Malaysia’s Subaltern History, Silverfish Books, Kuala Lumpur, 2003.
- Farish A. Noor, New Voices of Islam, ISIM International Institute for the Study of Islam in the Modern World, Leiden, Netherlands, 2002.
Farish A. Noor, Martin van Bruinessen and Yoginder Sikand (Eds.), The Madrasa in Asia: Political Activism and Transnational Linkages. ISIM Series on Contemporary Muslim Societies, Amsterdam University Press, Amsterdam, 2008.
Farish A. Noor (ed.). Special Malaysian Issue: Islam in Contemporary Malaysia. Al-Jami’ah Journal of Islamic Studies, Sunan Kalijaga Islamic University, Jogjakarta, Vol. 47. No. 1. 2009.
RSIS Modules Taught
Last updated on 26/01/2018