Following links control the content below
- Areas of Expertise
- Professional Activities
- RSIS Publications
- External Publications
- RSIS Modules Taught
Farish A. Noor is presently Associate Professor (with tenure) at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University; and coordinator of the RSIS doctoral program. His area of research covers the political history of Southeast Asia and religio-political movements in the region.
He is the author of ‘America’s Encounters With Southeast Asia 1800-1900: Before The Pivot’ (Amsterdam University Press, 2018 tbp); ‘The Discursive Construction of Southeast Asia in 19th Century Colonial-Capitalist Discourse’ (Amsterdam University Press, 2016); ‘The Tablighi Jama’at in Southeast Asia’ (Amsterdam University Press, 2014); ‘The Madrasa in Asia: Political Activism and Transnational Linkages’ (With Martin van Bruinessen and Yoginder Sikand (Eds.), (Amsterdam University Press, 2008); ‘Islam Embedded: The Historical Development of the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party PAS: 1951-2003’, (Malaysian Sociological Research Institute (MSRI), Kuala Lumpur, 2004).
He is also a member of the United Nations Panel of Experts on Religion and Politics.
Areas of Expertise
- Political Religion in South and Southeast Asia
- New Modes of Religio-political Mobilisation in Asia
- Religious Violence and Counter-Terrorism in Asia
- Malaysian and Indonesian Studies
- Visiting Scholar for Asian Studies, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), Paris 2011
- Visiting Scholar, Institut D’etudes de L’Islam et des Societes du Monde Musulman (IISMM), Paris 2012
- Honorary Research Associate for the Centre for Dialogue, Centre of Dialogue, La Trobe University, Victoria, Australia 2012
- Member of the Global Experts panel on Religion and Politics in Asia, United Nations Alliance of Civilisations Programme(UNAoC), 2012
WP279 | Anti-Imperialism in the 19th Century: A Contemporary Critique of the British Invasion of Java in 1811
02 September, 2014
WP278 | John Anderson’s Data Mining Mission to Sumatra in 1823: When Method Creates the Object
26 August, 2014
WP275 | America in Southeast Asia before the ‘Pivot’: The ‘Battle of Quallah Battoo’ in 1832
12 June, 2014
WP242 | The Forum Betawi Rempug (FBR) of Jakarta: An Ethnic-Cultural Solidarity Movement in a Globalising Indonesia
26 June, 2012
WP233 | How Indonesia Sees ASEAN and the World: A Cursory Survey of the Social Studies and History textbooks of Indonesia, from Primary to Secondary Level.
22 February, 2012
WP231 | The Partai Keadilan Sejahtera (PKS) in the landscape of Indonesian Islamist Politics: Cadre-Training as Mode of Preventive Radicalisation?
30 November, 2011
WP213 | Mapping the Religious and Secular Parties in South Sulawesi and Tanah Toraja, Sulawesi, Indonesia
12 November, 2010
WP206 | From Empire to the War on Terror: The 1915 Indian Sepoy Mutiny in Singapore as a case study of the impact of profiling of religious and ethnic minorities.
30 July, 2010
WP191 | The Arrival and Spread of the Tablighi Jama’at In West Papua (Irian Jaya), Indonesia
10 February, 2010
WP175 | The Spread of the Tablighi Jama’at Across Western, Central and Eastern Java and the role of the Indian Muslim Diaspora
09 March, 2009
WP174 | The Tablighi Jama’at Movement in the Southern Provinces of Thailand Today: Networks and Modalities
09 March, 2009
WP163 | The Hindu Rights Action Force (HINDRAF) of Malaysia: Communitarianism Across Borders?
04 July, 2008
WP152 | Thinking the Unthinkable: The Modernization and Reform of Islamic Higher Education in Indonesia
15 February, 2008
WP139 | Ngruki Revisited: Modernity and Its Discontents at the Pondok Pesantren al-Mukmin of Ngruki, Surakarta
01 October, 2007
CO16262 | A New Player in Sabah Politics
19 October, 2016
CO16218 | The Burkini Debate in France: Triggering Painful Colonial Memories
29 August, 2016
CO16206 | Understanding the Proliferation of Political Parties in Malaysia
15 August, 2016
CO15122 | Rohingya Refugees: Turks to the Rescue
21 May, 2015
CO15031 | The Passing of Nik Aziz Nik Mat: Legacy of PAS’ Spiritual Leader
13 February, 2015
CO15032 | The Passing of Nik Aziz Nik Mat: Implications for PAS and Malaysian Politics
13 February, 2015
CO15008 | Responding to the Paris Attack: Beware the Fatal Error
09 January, 2015
CO14250 | Indonesia’s Trajectory 2014- 2019: An Insider’s Forecast
22 December, 2014
CO14234 | President Jokowi’s ‘Ordinary’ Style: Simplicity and the ‘Wealth of Poverty’?
25 November, 2014
CO14230 | How China Sees Itself and Its role in Asia
19 November, 2014
CO14206 | Addressing Indonesia’s Maritime Needs: Jokowi’s Ground and Sea-level Challenges
20 October, 2014
CO14176 | Responding to the Islamic State’s Foreign Fighters: Retribution or Rehabilitation?
09 September, 2014
CO14115 | Indonesian Presidential Election: Jaafar Umar Thalib’s ‘Jihad Against Pluralism’
17 June, 2014
CO13061 | General Election 2013: Religion as a Permanent Variable in Malaysian Politics?
10 April, 2013
CO13015 | Malaysia’s 13th General Election: Prospects and Challenges for DA
28 January, 2013
CO13010 | 13th Malaysian General Election: Prospects and Challenges for PAS
22 January, 2013
CO12212 | Is Malaysia Ready for an Islamist Prime Minister?
28 November, 2012
CO12167 | Malaysian Elections: Time for Anti-Party-Hopping Rule?
06 September, 2012
CO12152 | Indonesian Nationalism: Between the Bellicose and the Inclusive
14 August, 2012
CO12122 | The 1Malaysia Project: Uniting and Dividing at the Same Time
10 July, 2012
CO11103 | After the Bersih 2.0 Rally: Impact and Implications
14 July, 2011
CO11069 | Post-Sarawak Elections: The Sway of Chinese Voters
03 May, 2011
CO11032 | Malaysia’s ‘Interlok’ Issue: Communal Sensitivities & the Next Elections
02 March, 2011
CO11020 | A New ‘Sultan’ of Sulu in Malaysia: Implications for Politics and Bilateral Ties
14 February, 2011
CO11013 | Anti-Mubarak Protests in Malaysia: How Arab Issues Travel
09 February, 2011
CO10165 | PKR Elections: Anwar Strengthens his Hand
07 December, 2010
CO10143 | BN Regains Ground in Malaysia: Implications of Galas and Batu Sapi By-Elections
08 November, 2010
CO10007 | Religion and Identity in Malaysia
14 January, 2010
Bulletins and Newsletters
- America’s Encounters with Southeast Asia, 1800-1900. Singapore: Amsterdam University Press, 2018
- Farish A. Noor, The Discursive Construction of Southeast Asia in 19th Century Colonial-Capitalist Discourse, Amsterdam University Press: 2016.
- Farish A Noor, The Malaysian Islamic Party 1951-2013: Islamism in a Mottled Nation, Amsterdam University Press, Religio-Politics in Asia Series 1, Amsterdam, 2014.
- Farish A. Noor, Diaspora: A History of the Indian Muslims in Southeast Asia. Malaysian Sociological Research Institute MSRI, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2013.
- Farish A. Noor, Islam on the Move: The Tablighi Jama’at Movement in Southeast Asia; Amsterdam University Press, Amsterdam, 2012. (Shortlisted for the ICAS prize for best work in Social Sciences, ICAS, 2013)
- Farish A. Noor, From Indrapura to Darul Makmur: A Deconstructive History of Pahang. Silverfish books, Kuala Lumpur, 2010.
- Farish A. Noor, Writings on the War on Terror, Global Media Publications, New Delhi, 2006.
- Farish A. Noor, Crosscurrents: Alternative Voices in Our Changing Times. Marshall Cavendish-Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, 2006.
- Farish A. Noor, Di San Zhi Yan Kan Ma Lai Xi Ya (Chinese edition of The Other Malaysia). Sin Chew Jit Poh Press, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, 2004.
- Farish A. Noor and Eddin Khoo, Spirit of Wood: The Art of Malay Woodcarving. Works of Master Craftsmen from Kelantan, Trengganu and Patani. Periplus publishers, Singapore. 2003.
- Farish A. Noor, The Other Malaysia: Writings on Malaysia’s Subaltern History, Silverfish Books, Kuala Lumpur, 2003.
- Farish A. Noor, New Voices of Islam, ISIM International Institute for the Study of Islam in the Modern World, Leiden, Netherlands, 2002.
Edited Books / Special Issues
Farish A. Noor, Martin van Bruinessen and Yoginder Sikand (Eds.), The Madrasa in Asia: Political Activism and Transnational Linkages. ISIM Series on Contemporary Muslim Societies, Amsterdam University Press, Amsterdam, 2008.
Farish A. Noor (ed.). Special Malaysian Issue: Islam in Contemporary Malaysia. Al-Jami’ah Journal of Islamic Studies, Sunan Kalijaga Islamic University, Jogjakarta, Vol. 47. No. 1. 2009.
RSIS Modules Taught
Last updated on 26/01/2018