Following links control the content below
Daniel Chua is an Adjunct Fellow with RSIS. He was formerly an Assistant Professor with the Maritime Security Programme at the Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies (IDSS), RSIS. He was also the Deputy Head of Graduate Studies and Coordinator of the Asia Pacific Programme for Senior Military Officers (APPSMO), a summer programme for senior military officers from the Asia Pacific region and beyond. He previously taught a course on the International History of Asia in the Master of Science (Asian Studies) at RSIS. Prior to his appointment at RSIS, Daniel taught courses in Asian Studies, Strategic Studies and Military History at the Australian National University, as well as in the Australian Defence Force Academy at UNSW, Canberra.
Daniel’s research focuses on the history of foreign relations between the United States and Southeast Asia during the Cold War, traversing fields such as International History, Asian Studies, Cold War Studies and International Relations. His research on the history of Singapore-US relations has been published in journals such as Asian Studies Review, the Australian Journal of Politics and History and The International History Review. He is the author of US-Singapore Relations, 1965-1975: Strategic Non-alignment in the Cold War (NUS Press, 2017) and co-author of ASEAN 50: Regional Security Cooperation through Selected Documents (World Scientific, 2017). He is currently working on a book project about US naval presence in Southeast Asia during the Cold War, and another on US foreign policy towards overseas Chinese during the early Cold War period.
Areas of Expertise
- Singapore-United States Diplomatic History
- Cold War History
- Southeast Asian Diplomatic History
- Asia Pacific Security
- Strategic Studies
- Affiliate, SAF-NTU Academy
- Sub-editor, ANU Undergraduate Research Journal 2013
- Member, Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations (SHAFR)
- Member, Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA)
- Member, Malaysia and Singapore Society of Australia (MASSA)
- Member, Editorial Board, POINTER: Journal of the Singapore Armed Forces
CO17215 | Trump and Southeast Asia: US Should Pivot to ASEAN
15 November, 2017
CO16198 | Strategic Opportunities, Big Rewards: Singapore’s Defence Diplomacy through APPSMO
03 August, 2016
CO15179 | Fifty Years of Singapore-Australian Relations: An Enduring Strategic Partnership
24 August, 2015
CO15070 | US Envoy's Impressions of Lee Kuan Yew
27 March, 2015
CO15054 | Konfrontasi: Why It Still Matters to Singapore
16 March, 2015
CO14235 | The South China Sea Disputes: Singapore as an “Honest Broker”?
25 November, 2014
- Chua, Daniel and Eddie Lim. ASEAN 50: Regional Security Cooperation through Selected Documents. Singapore: World Scientific, 2017.
- Chua, Daniel. US-Singapore Relations, 1965-1975: Strategic Non-Alignment in the Cold War. Singapore: NUS Press, 2017.
- Goh, Evelyn & Daniel Chua. Singapore Chronicles: Diplomacy. Singapore: Institute of Policy Studies and Straits Times Press, 2015.
- Chua, Daniel. "Singapore’s Relations with the United States of America”, Commentary: The Little Nation that Can. Singapore’s Foreign Relations and Diplomacy, 26, 2017.
- Chua, Daniel Wei Boon. "America's Role in the Five Power Defence Arrangements: Anglo-American Power Transition in South-East Asia, 1967–1971." The International History Review (2016): 1-23.
- Chua, Daniel. “Becoming a Good Nixon Doctrine Country: The United States and Singapore during the Nixon Presidency,” Australian Journal of Politics and History, 60(4) December 2014, pp. 534-548.
- Chua, Daniel. "Revisiting Lee Kuan Yew’s 1965-66 Anti-Americanism”, Asian Studies Review, 38(3), Sep 2014.
Chapters in Edited Books
- “Malasia y Singapur durante la Guerra Fria [English book chapter translated into Spanish]” (with Daniel Chua, and Graham Ong-Webb) in Pedro Iacobelli, Robert Cribb and Juan Luis Perello (Eds.), Asia y el Pacifico durante la Guerra Fria. Chile: Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, 2018, pp. 223-237
- Chua, Daniel Wei Boon. "United States’ Pivot to Asia”, in The Routledge Handbook of Asian Security Studies, edited by Sumit Ganguly, Andrew Scobell and Joseph Chinyong Liow, 268-279. Routledge, Oxon, 2017.
- Lim, Eddie and Daniel Chua. "RSIS, Military Education and Defence Diplomacy", in Forward Engagement: RSIS as a Think Tank of International Studies and Security in the Asia-Pacific, edited by Alan Chong, 105-111. World Scientific, 2017.
- “Daniel Chua, ‘ASEAN and the Indo-Pacific in 2018’, Asia Pacific Pathways to Progress Foundation, Inc Commentaries., 20 February 2018, http://appfi.ph/resources/commentaries/1928-asean-and-the-indo-pacific-in-2018”, Inc Commentaries, 20 February 2018
- Chua, Daniel Wei Boon. ‘Obama’s Hollow Peace in the South China Sea’, The National Interest, April 18, 2016. Available at: http://nationalinterest.org/feature/obamas-hollow-peace-the-south-china-sea-15815
- Chua, Daniel. “Australian Defence White Paper 2016: Positive signal to South-east Asia”, The Straits Times, Singapore, Opinion, 29 Feb 2016.
- Chua, Daniel. “Singapore-US Defence Relations: Enhancing Security, Benefiting Region”, The Straits Times, Singapore, Opinion, 9 Dec 2015.
- Chua, Daniel. “Managing voice, exit and loyalty in Singapore”, New Mandala, 1 February 2013, http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2013/02/01/managing-voice-exit-and-loyalty-in-singapore/.
Last updated on 04/10/2018