Following links control the content below
Mr. Christopher Chen is an Associate Research Fellow at the Centre for Non-Traditional Security Studies (NTS Centre), S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore.
He obtained a Master of International Relations and a Bachelor of Arts (Media & Communication and Politics & International Studies) from the University of Melbourne (UniMelb), Australia. He currently specialises in the area of humanitarian assistance and disaster relief. His research interests include HADR in the Asia-Pacific; institutional memory; human rights in Asia; forced migration; politics and conflicts in the Asia-Pacific.
Prior to joining the Centre, he served an internship with the International Detention Coalition (IDC) in Melbourne where he was tasked to produce advocacy communications materials and periodic insights. He also produced a briefing paper to assist the IDC in developing its strategy for engagement with ASEAN on the issue of child immigration detention and on promoting alternatives to detention.
Areas of Expertise
- HADR Landscape in the Asia-Pacific; Institutional Memory
- Human Rights in Asia
- Forced Migration
- Politics & Conflicts in the Asia-Pacific
Member of External Advisory Panel for Strategic Evaluation of WFP’s Use of Technologies in Constrained Environments (2020 – 2022)
Disaster Governance in the Southwest Pacific: Perspectives, Challenges, and Future Pathways for ASEAN
29 November, 2019
Global Health Security - COVID-19: Private Sector’s Role in Times of Crisis
26 March, 2020
Humanitarian Action: Southeast Asia’s Local Turn
06 December, 2019
Humanitarian Technology: Taking the ‘Human’ out of Humanitarianism?
05 August, 2019
CO18163 | New Trends in Humanitarian Assistance - The Private Turn in Humanitarian Aid
05 October, 2018
CO18162 | New Trends in Humanitarian Assistance - Blockchain for Humanitarian Aid: Problem or Panacea?
04 October, 2018
CO17234 | Humanitarian Action - Power of the Crowd: Collective Voices in HADR
13 December, 2017
CO17192 | Improving Disaster Response: Role of Knowledge Sharing
13 October, 2017
World Humanitarian Day: Voices from the Field
21 November, 2017
Commemorative / Event Reports
- “Re-imagining the global humanitarian system: Emerging dynamics in the Asia-Pacific” (with Mely Caballero-Anthony, and Alistair D. B. Cook) in International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, Vol. 56, 2021
- “Knowledge management and humanitarian organisations in the Asia-Pacific: Practices, challenges, and future pathways” (with Mely Caballero-Anthony, and Alistair D. B. Cook) in International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, Vol. 53, 2020
- “Disaster governance and prospects of inter-regional partnership in the Asia-Pacific” (with Alistair D. B. Cook) in The Pacific Review, DOI: 10.1080/09512748.2020.1841823, 2020
Chapters in Edited Books
- “Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Response” (with Margareth Sembiring, and Foo Yen Ne) in Mely Caballero-Anthony and Lina Gong (Eds.), Non-Traditional Security Issues in ASEAN: Agendas for Action. Singapore: ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute, 2020,
- “State Responses to the Refugee Situation during COVID-19: Rohingyas in Myanmar and Bangladesh” (with S. Nanthini), COVID-19 Impacts on Immigration Detention: Global Responses, 26 October 2020
- “Establishing humanitarian lanes during COVID-19” (with Alistair D. B. Cook), East Asia Forum, 30 June 2020
Last updated on 08/03/2021