Following links control the content below
Cameron Sumpter is an Associate Research Fellow at the Centre of Excellence for National Security (CENS). He holds an MA with first-class honours in International Relations from the University of Auckland. Prior to his postgraduate study in New Zealand, he worked as an English teacher and journalist in Asia, Europe, Africa, and Latin America. His research interests include processes of radicalisation, prison-based disengagement strategies, and civil society initiatives to prevent/counter violent extremism (P/CVE). Cameron conducts regular field work on these issues in Indonesia.
Areas of Expertise
- • Processes of radicalisation
• P/CVE initiatives
• Prison-based disengagement strategies
Community Policing to Counter Violent Extremism: Evident Potential and Challenging Realities
22 September, 2016
CO18158 | An ASEAN Way to Prevent Violent Extremism?
28 September, 2018
CO17122 | Terror in Finsbury Park: Copycat Retaliation or Cumulative Radicalisation?
21 June, 2017
CO16267 | Preventing Violent Extremism in US: Updating the Strategy
28 October, 2016
CO16150 | Pedantic Semantics or Strategic Discourse? The Politics of Talking about Terrorism
17 June, 2016
CO16060 | To Segregate or Disperse? The Management of Imprisoned Extremists
21 March, 2016
CO15280 | Countering Violent Extremism in Australia: Is State Control Effective?
24 December, 2015
CENS Workshop: The Age of Rages
29 April, 2019
Countering Extremism: Now What?
17 December, 2018
The 2018 Southeast Asia Counter-Terrorism Symposium: A Collective Approach
05 December, 2018
- Sumpter, Cameron, Wardhani, Yuslikha K., & Priyanto, Sapto, “Testing Transitions: Extremist Prisoners Re-Entering Indonesian Society”, Studies in Conflict & Terrorism (2019)
- Sumpter, Cameron and Franco, Joseph. “Migration, Transnational Crime and Terrorism: Exploring the Nexus in Europe and Southeast Asia”, Perspectives on Terrorism 12:5 (2018)
- Sumpter, Cameron. “Countering Violent Extremism in Indonesia: Priorities, Practice and the Role of Civil Society”, Journal for Deradicalization No. 11 (Summer 2017) pp. 112-147
- Sumpter, Cameron, “Reintegration in Indonesia: Extremists, Start-Ups and Occasional Engagements”, ICCT Perspective, 19 February 2019
- Sumpter, Cameron & Yuslikha Wardhani, “An Inadvertent Terrorist”, Inside Indonesia, 19 February 2019.
- Sumpter, Cameron & Wardhani Yuslikha, “Curbing radical sermons in Indonesia”, East Asia Forum, 12 December 2018.
- Sumpter, Cameron. “Returning Indonesian Extremists: Unclear Intentions and Unprepared Responses”. Policy Brief, International Centre for Counter-Terrorism (ICCT), 12 July 2018.
- Sumpter, Cameron. “Terror suspects’ riot in Jakarta underscores prison problems”. Lowy Interpreter, 28 May 2018. https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/terror-suspects-riot-jakarta-underscores-prison-problems
- Sumpter, Cameron. “Extremism in Indonesia is a family affair”. East Asia Forum, 18 May 2018. http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2018/05/18/extremism-in-indonesia-is-a-family-affair/
- Sumpter, Cameron. “Countering youth radicalisation in Indonesia”. Lowy Interpreter, 12 March 2018. https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/countering-youth-radicalisation-indonesia
- Sumpter, Cameron. “Aman Abdurrahman: Leading Indonesia’s Jihadists from Behind Bars”. The Diplomat, 2 March 2018. https://thediplomat.com/2018/03/aman-abdurrahman-leading-indonesias-jihadists-from-behind-bars/
- Sumpter, Cameron. “Why neighbourhood policing is critical to preventing terrorism”. Lowy Interpreter, 11 January 2018. https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/why-neighbourhood-policing-critical-counter-terrorism
- Sumpter, Cameron. “ Indonesian jihadism: increased intensity but familiar strategy”. The ASPI Strategist, 6 June 2017. Accessed December 2017. https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/indonesian-jihadism-increased-intensity-familiar-strategy/
- Sumpter, Cameron. “After the Caliphate Chapter”, IHRASS 2017 Think Piece, October 2017. https://www.nscs.gov.sg/irahss-2017-think-pieces/after-the-caliphate-chapter.html
- Sumpter, Cameron. "Reintegrating Extremist Prisoners in Indonesia: Easier Said Than Done". The Diplomat, 16 March 2017. Accessed May 2017. http://thediplomat.com/2017/03/reintegrating-extremist-prisoners-in-indonesia-easier-said-than-done/
- Sumpter, Cameron. "Modest project helping to disengage inmates from terrorism ". STUFF, 10 March 2017. Accessed May 2017. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/90254802/cameron-sumpter-modest-project-helping-to-disengage-inmates-from-terrorism
- Sumpter, Cameron. "Indonesia's de-radicalisation blueprint". Lowy Interpreter, 5 February 2016. Accessed June 2, 2016. http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/2016/02/05/Indonesias-de-radicalisation-blueprint.aspx
- Sumpter, Cameron. "Disillusioned defectors key to rebutting Islamic State rhetoric". Lowy Interpreter, 5 February 2016. Accessed June 2, 2016. http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/2016/05/23/Disillusioned-defectors-key-to-rebutting-Islamic-State-rhetoric.aspx
Last updated on 16/10/2018