Following links control the content below
Bhubhindar Singh is Associate Professor at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. Before joining NTU, Bhubhindar was a Sasakawa Lecturer in Japanese Studies at the School of East Asian Studies, University of Sheffield. He is a recipient of the Fulbright Award, and has held visiting positions at George Washington University, University of Tokyo, Chuo University (Japan), and National Institute of Defense Studies (NIDS, Japan).
Bhubhindar’s main research area is in the international relations of Northeast Asia with a special focus on Japan’s security policy. His secondary research areas are international relations of Southeast Asia and security regionalism in East Asia.
Bhubhindar has published in the European Journal of International Relations, International Relations of Asia-Pacific, The Pacific Review, Australian Journal of International Affairs, Asian Survey, Asian Security, Asia Policy, Japanese Journal of Political Science, Asian Affairs: An American Review, Korean Journal of Defense Analyses, The Round Table, Contemporary Southeast Asia and Issues & Studies; and his book is entitled Japanese Security Identity Transformation: From a Peace-State to an International-State (Routledge 2013).
Bhubhindar holds a PhD in East Asian Studies from the University of Sheffield, UK, a MSc in Strategic Studies from the Nanyang Technological University, and a BA (Hons) in English Language from the National University of Singapore.
Areas of Expertise
- Japanese Foreign Security Policy
- International Relations of Northeast Asia
WP265 | South Korea’s Middle-Power Engagement Initiatives: Perspectives from Southeast Asia
28 July, 2013
WP255 | Security Identity, Policymaking Regime and Japanese Security Policy Development
05 March, 2013
WP209 | Japan's New Security Imperative: The Function of Globalization
11 October, 2010
The Future of the ADMM/ADMM-Plus and Defence Diplomacy in the Asia Pacific
23 February, 2016
Impact of the Sino-Japanese Competitive Relationship on ASEAN as a Region and Institution
24 December, 2014
Japan's Perspectives of the ASEAN Defence Ministers' Meeting (ADMM)-Plus
01 December, 2012
Is Northeast Asian Regionalism The Centre of East Asian Regionalism?
01 July, 2012
ASEAN Outlook on Indo-Pacific: Seizing the Narrative?
23 January, 2020
CO18102 | Trump-Kim Summit: The Failure of American Leadership?
20 June, 2018
CO18083 | The Kim –Trump Summit in Singapore: North Korea’s End Goals
15 May, 2018
CO16281 | The Rise of Trump and Its Global Implications - Impact on US-Japan Alliance
15 November, 2016
CO16151 | ASEAN Unity in the Face of China’s Unilateral “Consensus”
20 June, 2016
CO14138 | Japan’s Rising Security Challenges
14 July, 2014
CO14127 | Abe Doctrine: US-Japan Alliance, International Law and ASEAN
04 July, 2014
CO13006 | Abe's First Overseas Trip: Why Southeast Asia?
14 January, 2013
CO12205 | Stability in Northeast Asia: Bolstering Defence Diplomacy
05 November, 2012
CO12098 | Trilateral Northeast Asia FTA: Pragmatic Regionalism
12 June, 2012
CO11169 | Japan’s Internationalism and EAS
17 November, 2011
CO10127 | China-Japan Dispute: Tokyo's Foreign Policy of Pragmatism
05 October, 2010
CO10037 | Is Japan Tilting towards China?
06 April, 2010
CO03009 | Tension on Korean Peninsula: Japan Most Threatened
26 March, 2003
CO02016 | September 11 and Major Power Relations in Northeast Asia
12 September, 2002
CO02016 | September 11 and Major Power Relations in Northeast Asia
12 September, 2002
- Singh, Bhubhindar. Japan’s Security Identity: From a Peace-State to an International-State.Abingdon, Oxon and New York: Routledge, 2013.
Chapters in Edited Books
- “Introduction: Minilateralism in the Indo-Pacific” (with Sarah Teo) in Bhubhindar Singh and Sarah Teo (Eds.), Minilateralism in the Indo-Pacific: The Quadrilateral Security Dialogue, Lancang-Mekong Cooperation Mechanism, and ASEAN. Oxon: Routledge, 2020, pp. 1-12
Edited Books / Special Issues
- Minilateralism in the Indo-Pacific: The Quadrilateral Security Dialogue, Lancang-Mekong Cooperation Mechanism, and ASEAN (with Sarah Teo), Eds. Oxon: Routledge, 2020
- “Contending Visions of East Asian Regional Order: Insights from the United States, China, Japan, and Indonesia” (with Sarah Teo, Shawn Ho, and Tsjeng Zhizhao Henrick) in Asian Affairs: An American Review, Vol. 46, No. 1, 2019. pp. 19-41
- Singh, Bhubhindar. “Introduction.” Roundtable on Contending Visions of the Regional Order in East Asia. Asia Policy 13, no. 2 (2018): 2-5.
- Singh, Bhubhindar. "Japan-ASEAN Relations: Challenges, Impact and Strategic Options." Panorama: Insights into Asian and European Affairs, no. 1 (2017): 95-106.
Bhubhindar Singh, Sarah Teo & Benjamin Ho, "Rising Sino-Japanese competition: perspectives from South-East Asian elites", Australian Journal of International Affairs, Volume 71, Issue 1, February 2017, Pages 105-120, DOI: 10.1080/10357718.2016.1157849
- Teo, Sarah, Bhubhindar Singh and See Seng Tan. "Southeast Asian Perspectives on South Korea’s Middle Power Engagement Initiatives." Asian Survey 56, no. 3 (2016): 555-580.
- Singh, Bhubhindar. "The Development of Japanese Security Policy: A Long-Term Defensive Strategy." Asia Policy 19 (January 2015): 49-64. http://nbr.org/publications/element.aspx?id=798.
- Tan, See Seng, and Bhubhindar Singh, eds. 2012. “Special Issue: Defence Diplomacy in Southeast Asia.” Asian Security 8.
- Singh, Bhubhindar, and Philip Shetler-Jones. "Japan’s reconceptualization of national security: the impact of globalization." International Relations of the Asia-Pacific 11, no. 3 (2011): 491-530.
- Singh, Bhubhindar. "Peacekeeping in Japanese security policy: International-Domestic Contexts Interaction." European Journal of International Relations 17, no. 3 (2011): 429-52.
- Singh, Bhubhindar. "Japan’s security policy: from a peace state to an international state." The Pacific Review 21, no. 3 (2008): 303-25.
- Singh, Bhubhindar. "ASEAN's perceptions of Japan: change and continuity." Asian Survey 42, no. 2 (2002): 279-96.
- “Korea-Japan: History is not Present in the Past” (with Shawn Ho), Asia Times, 30 October 2019
- “The Quad as an enabler of regional security cooperation”, ASPI The Strategist, 13 November 2018
- “S’pore’s ADMM chairmanship: Aiming high for regional security in turbulent times”, The Straits Times, 19 October 2018
- “Contesting Visions of Regional Order in East Asia: A Japanese Perspective”, Asia Dialogue, 9 July 2018
- Singh, Bhubhindar. "A new era of peace in Korean Peninsula?." New Straits Times, 22 May 2018. https://www.nst.com.my/opinion/columnists/2018/05/371790/new-era-peace-korean-peninsula
- Singh, Bhubhindar, and Sarah Teo. “ASEAN has an instrumental role in US-China power play." Channel NewsAsia, 8 May 2017. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/commentary-asean-has-an-instrumental-role-in-us-china-power-play-8826380.
- Singh, Bhubhindar. "Japan’s Strategic Importance in an Uncertain 2017." Channel NewsAsia, 3 February 2017. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/commentary-japan-s-strategic-importance-in-an-uncertain-2017/3487940.html.
- Singh, Bhubhindar, Sarah Teo, and Benjamin Ho. "Sino-Japanese Competition and ASEAN." Australian Outlook, 9 January 2017. http://www.internationalaffairs.org.au/australian_outlook/sino-japanese-competition-and-asean.
- Singh, Bhubhindar. "Geopolitical trends in East Asia", Asia & The Pacific Policy Society (APPS) Policy Forum, 5 July 2016
- Singh, Bhubhindar, Shawn Ho, and Henrick Z. Tsjeng. " China's Bogus South China Sea 'Consensus' ", The National Interest, 14 June 2016
- Singh, Bhubhindar. "The importance of Australia to Japan's national security", The Interpreter, 16 May 2016
- Singh, Bhubhindar. "Implications for Southeast Asia of the New U.S.-Japan Defense Guidelines," Asia Pacific Bulletin (East-West Center), No. 329, November 10, 2015.
- Singh, Bhubhindar. “Abe has chance to make history with statement marking 70th anniversary of war." The Asahi Shimbun, 1 July 2015. http://ajw.asahi.com/article/forum/politics_and_economy/east_asia/AJ201507010093.
- Singh, Bhubhindar. "Japan’s Global Image Blemished by History." Rising Powers Initiative, 15 May 2015. http://www.risingpowersinitiative.org/rpi-visiting-scholar-bhubhindar-singh-japans-global-image-blemished-by-history/.
- Ho, Benjamin, Bhubhindar Singh, and Sarah Teo. "ASEAN Chairmanship in 2015: Perspectives and Prospects", Asia Pacific Bulletin, No. 298, 13 January 2015, http://www.eastwestcenter.org/publications/malaysia%E2%80%99s-asean-chairmanship-in-2015-perspectives-and-prospects.
RSIS Modules Taught
Last updated on 06/07/2020