Following links control the content below
Ben Ho is a Senior Analyst with the Military Studies Programme at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, where he received a master’s degree in strategic studies. He researches primarily on sea-based aviation, underseas warfare, anti-access/area-denial (A2/AD) strategies/capacities, as well as the naval history of World War Two. His secondary research areas include irregular warfare, as well as special and light-infantry operations. Ben is particularly interested in the nexus between A2/AD and littoral operations, as well as A2/AD methodologies during the south and central Pacific campaigns of the Second World War. His research has appeared in the peer-reviewed publications Naval War College Review and the Journal of Military and Strategic Studies, as well as websites like The Diplomat, The National Interest, and RUSI Defence Systems. He has also been quoted on defence issues in various media outlets, including South China Morning Post; Voice of America; as well as Indo-Asia-Pacific Defense Forum, a publication of the U.S. Pacific Command.
Areas of Expertise
- Naval warfare/operations
- Irregular warfare
- Light-infantry and special operations
- Ho, Ben. “The aircraft carrier in Indian naval doctrine: assessing the likely usefulness of the flat-top in an Indo-Pakistani war scenario”, Naval War College Review, Vol. 71, No. 1 (Winter 2018): 71-91.
- Ho, Ben. "The combat utility of the U.S. fleet aircraft carrier in the post-war period." Journal of Military and Strategic Studies, Vol. 16, No. 4(2016): 67-105.
- Ho, Ben, “Little men in black: The frogman threat in maritime hybrid warfare”, Center for International Maritime Security, May 7, 2018, http://cimsec.org/little-black-men-frogman-threat-maritime-hybrid-warfare/36373
- Ho, Ben, “Syria, 14 April 2018: The great standoff weapons party”, United States Naval Institute Blog, April 30, 2018, https://blog.usni.org/posts/2018/04/30/syria-14-april-2018-the-great-standoff-weapons-party
- Ho, Ben, “Will the Izumo-class be Japan’s aircraft carrier for the 21st century?”, IAPS Dialogue, April 11, 2018, https://iapsdialogue.org/2018/04/11/will-the-izumo-class-be-japans-aircraft-carrier-for-the-21st-century/
- Ho, Ben and Lehmann, Gary, “Harrier or Joint Strike Fighter for Marines’ Expeditionary Advance Base Operations?”, United States Naval Institute Blog, March 8, 2018, https://blog.usni.org/posts/2018/03/08/harrier-or-joint-strike-fighter-for-marines-expeditionary-advanced-based-operations
- Ho, Ben. “How might China fight a Sino-Indian naval war?”, IAPS Dialogue, January 25, 2018, https://iapsdialogue.org/2018/01/25/how-might-china-fight-a-sino-indian-naval-war/
- Ho, Ben. “Hey Navy, LCS is too big to hide”, Breaking Defense, January 24, 2018, https://breakingdefense.com/2018/01/hey-navy-lcs-is-too-big-to-hide/
- Ho, Ben “The Royal Navy's new carriers might not be ‘supercarriers’ (but they can kill)”, The National Interest, January 19, 2018, http://nationalinterest.org/print/blog/the-buzz/the-royal-navys-new-carriers-might-not-be-supercarriers-they-24143
- Ho, Ben. "The Tomahawk missile - the weapon of choice for US presidents", TODAY, April 7, 2017. http://www.todayonline.com/world/middle-east/tomahawk-missile-weapon-choice-us-presidents-clinton-trump.
- Ho, Ben. "Assessing the Admiral Kuznetsov Deployment in the Syrian Conflict", Real Clear Defense, November 22, 2016. https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2016/11/22/assessing_the_admiral_kuznetsov_deployment_in_the_syrian_conflict_110373.html.
- Ho, Ben and Wu Shang-Su. "Taiwan's Interest in Aegis Warships: Would They Make Operational Sense During Cross-Strait Hostilities?", RUSI Defence Systems, October 31, 2016. https://rusi.org/publication/rusi-defence-systems/taiwan’s-interest-aegis-warships-would-they-make-operational-sense.
- Ho, Ben. "The utility of the U.S. Navy’s amphibious assault ships as small-deck carriers”, RUSI Defence Systems, August 25, 2016. https://rusi.org/publication/rusi-defence-systems/utility-us-navy%E2%80%99s-amphibious-assault-ships-small-deck-carriers.
- Ho, Ben. "This Naval Battle Could Have Changed the Course of WW2", The Diplomat, July 21, 2016. http://thediplomat.com/2016/07/this-naval-battle-could-have-changed-the-course-of-ww2/.
- Ho, Ben. "Why the U.S. Gator Navy needs the EV-22", The Diplomat, June 18, 2016. http://thediplomat.com/2016/06/why-the-us-gator-navy-needs-the-ev-22.
- Ho, Ben. "Opinion: It's time to rethink U.S. carrier CONOPS". USNI News, May 24, 2016. https://news.usni.org/2016/05/24/carrier_conops.
- Ho, Ben. "Kicking down the door: Ohio-class subs vs. China's A2/AD." The National Interest, April 4, 2016. http://nationalinterest.org/feature/kicking-down-the-door-ohio-class-subs-vs-chinas-a2-ad-15664.
- Ho, Ben. “The strategic attractions of Djibouti”, The Interpreter, March 18, 2016. http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/2016/03/18/The-strategic-attraction-of-Djibouti.aspx.
- Ho, Ben. “Fixing the U.S. Navy’s anti-surface warfare shortfall”, The Diplomat, March 10, 2016. http://thediplomat.com/2016/03/fixing-the-us-navys-anti-surface-warfare-shortfall.
- Ho, Ben and Paulsson, Henrik. "The maritime threat of the Islamic State in Libya: A case of much ado over nothing?", offiziere.ch, February 16, 2016. https://www.offiziere.ch/?p=26491.
- Ho, Ben. “Whither Britain’s Queen Elizabeth supercarrier?”, RealClearDefense, February 5, 2016. http://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2016/02/05/whither_britains_queen_elizabeth_supercarrier_108987.html.
- Ho, Ben. “Would Britain really be back as a traditional carrier power?”, RealClearDefense, January 12, 2016. http://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2016/01/12/would_britain_really_be_back_as_a_traditional_carrier_power_108890.html.
- Ho, Ben. “The case for carriers: Rebutting Norman Polmar”, Breaking Defense, December 28, 2015. http://breakingdefense.com/2015/12/the-case-for-carriers-rebutting-norman-polmar.
- Ho, Ben. "The Chinese Submarine Threat", The Diplomat, December 10, 2015. http://thediplomat.com/2015/12/the-chinese-submarine-threat.
- Ho, Ben. "U.S. Navy: Time to Bring Back the S-3 Viking?", The Diplomat, November 9, 2015. http://thediplomat.com/2015/11/u-s-navy-time-to-bring-back-the-s-3-viking.
- Ho, Ben. "Egypt’s Acquisition of the Mistral Amphibious Assault Ship: An Operational Analysis", Center for International Maritime Security, October 8, 2015. http://cimsec.org/egypts-acquisition-mistral-amphibious-assault-ship-operational-analysis/19174.
- Ho, Ben. "What's the buzz? Ship-based aviation and its influence on littoral navies during combat operations", Center for International Maritime Security, September 15, 2015. http://cimsec.org/whats-the-buzz-ship-based-unmanned-aviation-and-its-influence-on-littoral-navies-during-combat-operations.
Ho, Ben. "Everybody Relax about the U.S. Navy's Persian Gulf 'Carrier Gap'", War is Boring, September 14, 2015. http://warisboring.com/articles/everybody-relax-about-the-u-s-navys-persian-gulf-carrier-gap.
Last updated on 14/03/2018