Following links control the content below
Pascal Vennesson is Professor of Political Science at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University. His research and teaching lie at the intersection of the fields of international relations and strategic studies. Before joining RSIS, he held the Chair “Security in Europe”, at the European University Institute, Robert Schuman Center for Advanced Studies. He also taught “Strategy and Policy” for ten years at The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)-Bologna Center and at the College of Europe. He is the author, co-author and editor of six books and his refereed articles have been notably published in Armed Forces and Society, International Relations, Journal of Strategic Studies, Review of International Studies, Revue Française de Science Politique (French Political Science Review) and Security Studies (forthcoming). He is a member of the editorial boards of Revue Française de Science Politique (French Political Science Review), Security Studies, Armed Forces and Society and the European Journal of International Security. Professor Vennesson was a fellow at Stanford University’s Center for International Security and Arms Control, at Ohio State University’s Mershon Center and a Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (National Center for Scientific Research) fellow at Harvard University’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, John F. Kennedy School of Government. He received his MA from the University Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne and his Ph.D. from Sciences-Po Paris.
Areas of Expertise
- Changing Character of War
- Strategic Thought in International Relations Theory
- Coalition and strategic decision-making
- Risk Taking in War
- Security in Europe and Asia
- Professor and Director of the Center for Social Science Studies of Defense (Centre d’études en sciences sociales de la défense-Secrétariat général pour l’administration), French Ministry of Defence, 1999-2003
- Member, European Report on Development, 2009, 2010
- Council Member of the Inter-University Seminar on Armed Forces and Society (IUS), 2013-Present.
- Cremona, Marise; David Kleimann, Joris Larik, Rena Lee, Pascal Vennesson, (eds.) ASEAN's External Agreements: Law, Practice and the Quest for Collective Action. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2015.
- Pascal Vennesson. 'Cohesion and Misconduct: The French Army and the Mahé Affair' in: Anthony King, (ed.), Frontline. Combat and Cohesion in the Twenty-First Century. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015
- Vennesson, Pascal; Clara Portela. “Sanctions and Embargoes in EU-Asia Relations” in: Thomas Christiansen, Emil Kirchner, Philomena B. Murray (eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of EU-Asia Relations. Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2013.
- Pascal Vennesson, Amanda Huan, “The General’s Intuition: Overconfidence, Pattern Matching, and the Inchon Landing Decision,” Armed Forces & Society 2017 http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0095327X17738771
- Vennesson, Pascal. "Is strategic studies narrow? Critical security and the misunderstood scope of strategy", Journal of Strategic Studies 2017.
- Vennesson, Pascal. “War Under Transnational Surveillance: Framing Ambiguity and the Politics of Shame”, Review of International Studies, 40(1), 2014, pp. 25-51.
- Vennesson, Pascal; Eugenio Cusumano. “Transformations de l’engagement civique et nouvel art américain de la guerre,” [Transformation of Civic Participation and the New American Way of War], Gouvernement et action publique [Government and Public Action published by Sciences-Po Press], 2(4), October-December 2013, pp. 567-594.
- Vennesson, Pascal; Chiara Ruffa; Christopher Dandeker. “Soldiers Drawn into Politics? The Influence of Tactics in Civil-Military Relations”, Small Wars and Insurgencies, 24(2), 2013.
RSIS Modules Taught
Last updated on 08/03/2017