Following links control the content below
Ho Shu Huang is an Associate Research Fellow at the Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies (IDSS), S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He has a B.A. (Hons) degree in History from the National University of Singapore (NUS), as well as an M.Sc in Strategic Studies from RSIS. He is presently pursuing a PhD with the Department of Defence Studies, King’s College London. Prior to joining RSIS, Shu Huang worked for the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) to set up the Army Museum of Singapore. His affiliation with the SAF continues to this day, though now in the realm of professional military education. At SAFTI MI, he lectures and facilitates discussions at all levels of officer and senior specialist education. At NTU, he tutors the Undergraduate Professional Military Education and Training (UGPMET) Military Studies module.
Areas of Expertise
- Military Sociology
- Civil-Military Relations
- The Military Profession
- Professional Military Education
CO10106 | How NSmen could be Rewarded
03 September, 2010
CO10073 | Institution Versus Occupation: Path Ahead for Singapore’s Military Profession
01 July, 2010
CO10072 | Institution Versus Occupation: Obama’s sacking of McChrystal
30 June, 2010
CO10015 | A Soldier's Education: Preparing for the “Unforgiving Minute”
03 February, 2010
CO09095 | Singapore’s Defence Policy: Deterrence, Diplomacy and the Soldier-Diplomat
29 September, 2009
CO09056 | An About-Face to the Future: The SAF's New Career Schemes
11 June, 2009
CO08103 | The Saf’s New Clothes: Recognising the Importance of Personal Equipment in the SAF
25 September, 2008
CO08086 | Crisis in the Caucasus: What can we learn from it?
19 August, 2008
- Ho, Shu Huang & Samuel Chan. Singapore Chronicles: Defence. Singapore: Institute of Policy Studies and Straits Times Press, 2015.
- Conscription in Taiwan: A Problematic Evolution
- Ho, Shu Huang; Yolanda Chin. “Permanent Residents Serving National Service: Round Pegs in a Square Hole?” in Norman Vasu, Yeap Su Yin and Chan Wen Ling (eds.), Beyond Economics: Immigration’s Impact on Singapore. Amsterdam University Press, 2014.
- Ho, Shu Huang. "Rethinking the who, what and when: Why not Singaporean military heroes?” In Nations, National Narratives and Communities in the Asia-Pacific, edited by Norman Vasu, Yolanda Chin and Kam-yee Law, 11-29. New York: Routledge, 2014.
- Jayakumar, Shashi and Ho Shu Huang. “Creating an ecosystem to win a non-conventional war”, TODAY, March 22, 2017.
- Ho Shu Huang. “Total Defence against threat of hybrid warfare”, The Strait Times, 12 May 2015
- Ho Shu Huang. “When it comes to defence, short-term thinking could be fatal”, Today, 15 March 2015.
- Ho Shu Huang. “How do people view national security?”, Today, 17 February 2015.
- Ho, Shu Huang; Tan Kwoh Jack; Collin Koh Swee Lean. “Singapore: How to Stay ‘Stable and Strong’”, The Diplomat, 11 October 2013. An abridged version was published in Today, 2 October 2013.
- Ho Shu Huang. “Accommodate more volunteers for Singapore’s defence”, Today, 15 March 2015.
- Tan, Kwoh Jack; Ho Shu Huang; Collin Koh Swee Lean. “Policy Shifts Aren’t Just Domestic for Singapore”, Today, 2 Oct 2013.
- Ho Shu Huang. “Why full-time NS can’t be shortened ”, Today, 18 June 2013.
- Ho Shu Huang. “Obstacles to widening NS liability”, Today, 21 May 2013.
- Ho, Shu Huang. “How NSmen could be Rewarded.” RSIS Commentaries No. 106, 2010. (Reprinted as “Consider a coherent structure for rewards”, the Straits Times, 8 September 2010.)
- Ho, Shu Huang. “Institution Versus Occupation: Path Ahead for Singapore’s Military Profession.” RSIS Commentaries No. 73, 2010. (Reprinted as “Fundamental values should still be SAF personnel's target”, the Straits Times, 5 July 2010.)
- Ho, Shu Huang. “Singapore’s Defence Policy: Deterrence, Diplomacy and the Soldier-Diplomat.” RSIS Commentaries No. 95, 2009. (Reprinted as “Deterrence, Diplomacy and the Soldier-Diplomat”, the Straits Times, 6 October 2009.)
Last updated on 13/08/2018