Following links control the content below
Yang Razali Kassim is Senior Fellow at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University and at the RSIS’ Centre for Non-Traditional Security (NTS) Studies. He is also Editor of two RSIS publications, RSIS Commentaries and Strategic Currents. He is a Research Adviser and Member of the Selection Committee of the Temasek-Foundation-NTU Asia Journalism Fellowship Programme of the Wee Kim Wee School of Communications and Information (WKWSCI). He studied at Raffles Institution and graduated in Political Science from the University of Singapore (now National University of Singapore) with Second Class Upper Honours. He was a Wolfson Press Fellow, Cambridge University and a Visiting Fellow at the Lowy Institute of International Policy, Sydney.
Prior to RSIS, he was with Singapore Press Holdings, serving as Regional Editor with The Business Times; Principal Assistant to the Editor/Senior Correspondent with The Straits Times; and Jakarta Correspondent, The Straits Times. He was also a recipient of a Pan-Asia Award in Journalism by Citibank. In his professional career as a journalist, he had followed the meetings of ASEAN foreign and economic ministers and the WTO (World Trade Organization) as well as the summits of ASEAN Leaders, ASEM (Asia-Europe Meeting) and APEC (the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) in various world cities including Auckland, Bogor, Manila, Osaka and Seattle.
Areas of Expertise
- Southeast Asian and ASEAN affairs, in particular international political and economic relations of Southeast Asia
- Political change and development in Malaysia and Indonesia
- Issues of regionalism and multilateralism, including political, economic and security cooperation between ASEAN and its trading partners
- Non-Traditional Security including climate change and its multi-dimensional impacts
- Renewable energy
- Wolfson Press Fellow, Wolfson College, Cambridge ( 1990)
- United States East Asia Visitors Programme, USIA (1994)
- Malaysian International Visitors Programme (2005)
- Visiting Fellow, Lowy Institute (2012)
- Research Adviser, Asia Journalism Fellowship (AJF), Temasek Foundation-Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information, Nanyang Technological University
- Community Leader, Community Engagement Programme (CEP), Nanyang Technological University
- Adviser, NTU Muslim Society
- Association of Muslim Professionals (AMP), Founding Deputy Chairman of the Board &
- Founding Chairman of Executive Committee (1991 to 1993)
- Chairman of the Board (2004-2006)
Reflections: The Legacy of Lee Kuan Yew
01 February, 2016
Strategic Currents: Issues in Human Security in Asia
15 October, 2011
Strategic Currents: Emerging Trends in Southeast Asia
15 March, 2009
Strategic Currents: Marking the Transition to the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies
30 June, 2006
CO17084 | After the Muktamar: Is a New PAS Emerging?
03 May, 2017
CO17062 | Najib’s U-turn Over Hudud Bill: Election Gambit or Fight for Survival?
05 April, 2017
CO16318 | Is Malaysia Tilting Towards China?
30 December, 2016
CO16298 | Malaysian Politics: ‘Mother of All Battles’ Shaping Up
09 December, 2016
CO16225 | The Mahathir-Anwar Handshake: Patching Up to Shake Up?
08 September, 2016
CO16054 | Mahathir & Anwar vs Najib: How Will It End?
07 March, 2016
CO16017 | The Jakarta Assault: Pre-empting the Rise of IS Indonesia
26 January, 2016
CO15270 | UMNO’s New Page: After Najib vs Muhyiddin
10 December, 2015
CO15249 | China and Rebalancing the World Order: A View From Southeast Asia
18 November, 2015
C015168 | 1MDB Crisis and Political Funding: Whither Malaysian Politics?
12 August, 2015
CO15161 | Najib and Malaysian Politics in Crisis: Whither UMNO and the Opposition?
30 July, 2015
CO15134 | The Ulama Strike Back: Whither PAS and Pakatan?
08 June, 2015
CO15102 | South China Sea: Time to Change the Name
28 April, 2015
CO15029 | Malaysian Politics in 2015: What Does the Second Jailing of Anwar Ibrahim Portend?
11 February, 2015
CO14222 | [Updated] Asia Pacific Economic Leadership: Shifting from the US to China?
13 November, 2014
CO14205 | The Spectacular Rise of Joko Widodo: How Long Can He Last as President?
20 October, 2014
CO14191 | Malaysia’s Opposition Alliance at the Crossroads: Beginning of the End?
01 October, 2014
CO14172 | Indonesia’s New President: Coming Crunch-Test for Joko Widodo
02 September, 2014
CO14139 | Indonesia’s Presidential Election 2014: Enter the Next Big Fight
14 July, 2014
CO14125 | Aspiring Regional Power: Indonesian Foreign Policy Under Next President
03 July, 2014
CO14095 | Electing Indonesia’s Next President: King or Kingmaker?
22 May, 2014
CO14070 | Indonesia’s Ambiguous Elections: Implications for the Region
15 April, 2014
CO14064 | Known Unknowns in Indonesia’s Elections: What They Mean for the Region
04 April, 2014
CO14020 | Islamic Governance in Malaysia: Taking the cue from Brunei?
29 January, 2014
CO13236 | Malaysia’s Political Outlook 2014: Key Challenges Facing Najib
26 December, 2013
CO13214 | Struggle for PAS' Soul: Ulama and non-Ulama Partnership Stays
25 November, 2013
CO13192 | Elevating China-ASEAN Ties: Who is Wooing Whom?
11 October, 2013
CO13131 | A Haze-Free ASEAN: Will the Vision Go Up in Smoke?
16 July, 2013
CO13121 | The Haze and ASEAN: Environmental Politics, Diplomacy and Stability
02 July, 2013
CO13094 | Malaysian Politics Post-GE13: The Deracialisation of BN?
15 May, 2013
CO13090 | Post GE13: New Era in Malaysian Politics?
08 May, 2013
CO13081 | Malaysia's GE13: The Hustings Get Rough
30 April, 2013
CO13056 | Malaysia's Mother of All Elections: A Turning Point?
08 April, 2013
CO13038 | Singapore-Malaysia Virtual Community in 2020: Fast Track to an Economic Union?
01 March, 2013
CO12217 | East Asia Summit 2012: Power Game in Asia Unfolds
03 December, 2012
CO12207 | Plight of the Rohingya: ASEAN Credibility Again at Stake
06 November, 2012
CO12187 | S5 versus P5: The Rise of the Small States?
08 October, 2012
CO12176 | A Regional Code of Conduct: For South and East China Seas
20 September, 2012
CO12164 | Japan-Korea Territorial Dispute: Setback for East Asian Cooperation?
03 September, 2012
CO12151 | ASEAN and China: Navigating Turbulent Waters Ahead
13 August, 2012
CO12116 | East Asian Regionalism: End of ASEAN Centrality?
04 July, 2012
CO12094 | Syria & Responsibility to Protect: Time for a Middle Ground
07 June, 2012
CO12066 | Myanmar & ASEAN Community 2015: Are Member Countries Prepared?
18 April, 2012
CO12043 | Myanmar’s China Policy Shift: Preparing for ASEAN Chair?
15 March, 2012
CO12016 | Anwar’s Acquittal: What Next for Najib?
20 January, 2012
CO12014 | The new Great Game: ASEAN’s Balancing Act?
17 January, 2012
CO11166 | The 19th ASEAN Summit: Tackling Floods, Food and Stability
14 November, 2011
CO11151 | Pakistan, India and Kashmir: Will Nature force an Aceh Effect?
18 October, 2011
CO11134 | Global Rebalancing in the Internet Age: Impact on Society, Government & Business
26 September, 2011
CO11125 | ASEAN Response to Asian Food Security Concerns
25 August, 2011
CO11124 | Singapore’s Growing Role in Asian Food Security
25 August, 2011
CO11087 | ASEAN Community: Losing Grip over Vision 2015?
02 June, 2011
CO11076 | Towards an ASEAN Vision Beyond 2015: Outcome of Jakarta Summit
10 May, 2011
CO11057 | After Japan: Waiting for Asia’s Next Big One
12 April, 2011
CO11034 | Libya and the UN: Whose Responsibility to Protect?
04 March, 2011
CO11034 | Libya and the UN: Whose Responsibility to Protect?
04 March, 2011
CO11024 | Post-Mubarak Egypt: Is Indonesia the Model?
21 February, 2011
CO11008 | Tunisia and Climate Change: What it means for Southeast Asia
28 January, 2011
CO10167 | Water Insecurity in Himalayas: Emerging Tensions & Lessons for ASEAN
08 December, 2010
CO10140 | Indonesia’s Twin Disasters: Will the Next Big One Reach Singapore?
02 November, 2010
CO10135 | Najib’s UMNO: Gearing Up for Early Elections?
27 October, 2010
CO10133 | ADMM Plus: New Twists to Old Security Issues
19 October, 2010
CO10123 | Singapore Global Dialogue: Heated Start to Strategic Debates
27 September, 2010
CO10081 | Australia and Climate Change: The Changing Weather in Climate Politics
26 July, 2010
CO10076 | Railway Land Swap: New Light on an Old Issue
09 July, 2010
CO10069 | Land Swap Deal: New Era for Singapore-Malaysia Relations
28 June, 2010
CO10067 | A New Era for Singapore-Malaysia Relations
18 June, 2010
CO10043 | Responsibility to Protect: How Should Southeast Asia Respond?
25 April, 2010
CO10039 | Indonesia, the United States and Australia: New Age, New Issues
07 April, 2010
CO10024 | From Aceh to Chile: Is ASEAN Prepared for Another Disaster?
01 March, 2010
CO10011 | In the Name of God: Preserving the Sense of Security in Malaysia
28 January, 2010
CO09105 | The Rush for Survival: New Catharsis in Malaysian Politics?
26 October, 2009
CO09071 | Bombs After the Presidential Election: Slowing Indonesia's Rise?
20 July, 2009
CO09070 | After the Presidential Election: Indonesia Rising?
16 July, 2009
CO09055 | PAS and New Politics: When the Ulama Reassert Leadership
08 June, 2009
CO08098 | Will Anwar Take Over? Malaysian Politics at the Crossroads
15 September, 2008
CO08033 | Malaysian Politics: Where To After The Electoral Shock?
14 March, 2008
CO08025 | Politics, Pluralism And The Polls: A Changing Scenario?
03 March, 2008
CO08013 | Singapore and the Middle East: Launching the Second Wave
14 February, 2008
CO08010 | Suharto: The End of an ASEAN Era
27 January, 2008
CO07119 | ASEAN’S FUTURE IDENTITY: IMAGINED OR IMITATION COMMUNITY?
12 November, 2007
CO07094 | ASEAN AT 40: THE END OF A TWO-SPEED GROUPING?
06 September, 2007
CO07068 | The IMF: Dogma Versus Unorthodoxy Can We afford another Clash?
02 July, 2007
CO07062 | The New PAS: Re-defining the Future of Islamist Politics
13 June, 2007
CO07044 | 33 days: An Intense month of High-Level Diplomacy
24 May, 2007
CO07030 | The New Silk Road: Time for an Arab-Asian Free Trade Area?
12 April, 2007
CO06096 | The Shenzhen-Hongkong Model: Singapore and the South Johor Economic Region
12 September, 2006
CO06058 | PULLING THE HAIR FROM THE FLOUR The art of defusing the Mahathir crisis
26 June, 2006
CO06046 | Timor as a failed state a slap in the face for ASEAN?
06 June, 2006
CO06011 | Free Speech and The Muslim World
09 February, 2006
CO05092 | The Rise of East Asia? ASEAN’s driver role key to ties between Japan and China
22 December, 2005
CO05091 | The Rise of East Asia? A new regional forum finds form
19 December, 2005
CO05059 | Return of the Mahathir Era?
23 August, 2005
CO05044 | The ACEH Peace Accord 2005: Breakthrough, At Last?
22 July, 2005
CO05038 | The Remaking of PAS: Is There An Anwar Hand?
30 June, 2005
CO05032 | Riding The East Asian Tiger: What Next?
16 June, 2005
CO05015 | ASEAN Cohesion: Making Sense of Indonesian Reactions to Bilateral Disputes
06 April, 2005
CO05007 | GAM, Islam and The Future of Aceh
08 February, 2005
CO05003 | Tsunami: Nature’s Test for ASEAN’s New Leadership
12 January, 2005
CO04064 | Golkar : Yudhoyono’s Transformation
23 December, 2004
CO04049 | Umno General Assembly: Abdullah’s new direction for the Malays
07 October, 2004
CO04044 | Madrasahs As Partners In The Ideological War Against Terrorism
17 September, 2004
CO04026 | The Paradox of Indonesia’s “Post-Majapahit” Presidency: Historic Direct Election Makes Yudhoyono Most Popular Leader with possibly the Weakest Government since Suharto’s fall
12 July, 2004
CO04013 | Ideology and The Presidency: The forces of aliran behind Indonesia’s 2004 Presidential Election
28 April, 2004
CO04010 | Enter The Badawi Era: Implications of Malaysia’s General Election 2004
05 April, 2004
- Kassim, Yang Razali. The Geopolitics of intervention: Asia and the Responsibility to Protect. New YorkL Springer, 2014.
- Kassim, Yang Razali. Transition Politics in Southeast Asia: Dynamics of Leadership Change and Succession in Indonesia and Malaysia. Marshall Cavendish: Singapore, 2005.
- The South China Sea Disputes: Flashpoints, Turning Points and Trajectories. Yang Razali Kassim (Ed.), World Scientific Publishing Company, 2017.
- Reflections - The Legacy of Lee Kuan Yew. Yang Razali Kassim and Mushahid Ali (Eds.), World Scientific Publishing Company, 2015.
- Kassim, Yang Razali, editor. “Issues in Human Security in Asia.” in Strategic Currents. RSIS and institute of Southeast Asian Studies: Singapore, 2011.
- Kassim, Yang Razali, editor. Strategic Currents: Emerging Trends in Southeast Asia. RSIS & ISEAS: Singapore, 2009.
- Kassim, Yang Razali. Imagining Singapore 2030: Little Red Dot, Language and the Region. NUS Society, March 2013.
- Kassim, Yang Razali. “Winning Over the Malay Community: Politics of Engagement.” in Impressions of the Goh Chok Tong Years in Singapore. NUS Press, institute of Policy Studies and Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, 2009.
- Kassim, Yang Razali, editor. Strategic Currents: Marking the Transition to the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies. institute of Defence and Strategic Studies: Singapore, 2006.
- Kassim, Yang Razali. “Yudhoyono: Outlook for 2006.” in Regional Outlook Southeast Asia 2006–2007. institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2006.
- Kassim, Yang Razali. “ASEAN and China: New Phase of Unpredictability.” ASEAN Newsletter (July 2012 issue); South Korean Foreign Ministry.
- Kassim, Yang Razali. “Leadership Contestations, Succession and Stability in Malaysia and Indonesia.” Asia-Pacific Social Science Review,Vol. 12, No. 1 (June 2011 issue).
Last updated on 08/06/2015