Following links control the content below
Dr Tamara Nair is Research Fellow at the Centre for Non-Traditional Security Studies (NTS Centre) at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University. She graduated from the National University of Singapore (NUS) with a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science and Geography and went on to train at the National Institute of Education (NIE). She obtained a Masters in Environmental Management, a Graduate Diploma in Arts Research and a PhD in Development Studies from the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. She also holds a Professional Certificate in Project Management accredited by the Institute of Engineers, Singapore from Temasek Polytechnic.
Dr Nair is the Coordinator of the Food Security Research Programme at the NTS Centre, RSIS. Her current research focuses on issues of power and the biopolitics of hunger in Southeast Asia and the Women, Peace and Security (WPS) agenda in the region. She is currently undertaking policy-based research in the Women, Peace and Security Programme at the NTS Centre. Her recent publications have focused on the systematic food insecurities of the Rohingya in Myanmar, and the disenfranchisement of marginalized communities, including women, in local development. She has published in development studies journals; writing on marginalized communities and sustainable development, power and subject creation, and ideas of citizenship.
Areas of Expertise
- Decentralised governance in developing nations
- Sustainable development and issues of social justice: equitable development in local communities
- Climate change, natural resource management and the role of women
- Involved in an international project looking at climate change and ‘cultures of resilience’ focusing on major waterways and communities (in Asia, Australia and the US) in relation to their adaptation mechanisms and mitigation strategies in the face of climate change effects.
- Co-editing a special edition volume of the International Journal of Water Governance.
Public Stockpiling of Rice in Asia Pacific
11 April, 2016
Public Stockpiling and Food Security
03 June, 2015
Investment, Innovation, Integration - Pathways to a Food Secure Asia by 2025
06 March, 2015
CO17021 | Science, Technology and Human Security - 3D Printing: How It Could Disrupt Asia’s Manufacturing Economies
26 January, 2017
CO17016 | Science, Technology and Human Security - Fighting Food Wastage: New Ideas From The Past
18 January, 2017
CO17017 | Science, Technology and Human Security - Cooling Future Urban Habitats: Technology Based on Human Body?
18 January, 2017
CO17002 | Earthquakes and Environmental Refugees: Time for ‘Green’ Engineering
03 January, 2017
CO16273 | 3-D Printing for Food Security: Providing The Future Nutritious Meal
03 November, 2016
CO16227 | Southeast Asia’s Haze Plight: Is Insurance a Suitable Preventive Mechanism?
13 September, 2016
CO16089 | Law and Gender: An Emerging Fault Line in Social Cohesion?
19 April, 2016
CO16086 | Securing Singapore: Applying Biopolitics
15 April, 2016
CO15278 | Women, Peace and Security in ASEAN: Need For Distinct Action Plan
23 December, 2015
CO15246 | New Series on Haze Issue - Transboundary Pollution: Arrival of the Haze Refugee?
16 November, 2015
CO15088 | Indonesia’s Foreign Domestic Workers: Dilemma of Not Working Overseas
10 April, 2015
CO15019 | A Food Secure Asia by 2025: Addressing Vulnerable Groups
30 January, 2015
- Nair, Tamara. “Universal basic income could work in Southeast Asia — but only if it goes to women” (The Conversation, 11 July 2017).
- Nair, Tamara. “As the US stops funding reproductive health services, China should step in” (The Conversation, 19 April 2017).
- Nair, Tamara. "Decentralization and the cultural politics of natural resource management in Kerala, India." Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography 35, no. 3 (2014): 397-411.
- Nair, Tamara. "The Creation of Cultural Subjects: A Study of Power and Identity through Fieldwork." Oriental Anthropologists 14, no. 1 (2014): 41-57.
- Teng, Paul, Mely Caballero-Anthony, Jonatan Lassa, and Tamara Nair. "Towards Asia 2025: policy and technology imperatives. Summary of the main findings of the second international conference on Asian food security held in Singapore on 21–22 August 2014." Food Security (2015): 1-7.
- Nair, Tamara. “The Rohingyas of Myanmar and the Biopolitics of Hunger”. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development 5, iss 4 (2015): 1-5.
- Nair, Tamara. “Deepening Divides: Decentralized Development and the ‘Tyranny’ of Participation”. Journal of International Development 28 , iss 8 (2016) : 1323-1336.
Last updated on 21/06/2016