Following links control the content below
Dr Shashi Jayakumar assumed the appointment as Head, Centre of Excellence for National Security (CENS) on 1 April 2015.
Dr Jayakumar was educated at Oxford University where he studied History (BA 1997, D.Phil, 2001). He has published in various peer-reviewed journals and edited volumes on topics relating to medieval history (the focus of his doctorate). He has been a member of the Singapore Administrative Service since 2002. During this time, he was posted to various Ministries, including the Ministries of Defence, Manpower, Information and the Arts, and Community Development, Youth and Sports. He was from August 2011-July 2014 a Senior Visiting Research Fellow at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy. The main focus of his research and writing there has been local society and politics. He is currently completing a major book project relating to local politics (forthcoming, 2017). His other interests include extremism, social resilience, and homeland defence.
Areas of Expertise
- Radicalisation and Countering Violent Extremism
- Singapore’s National Security
- Singapore History post-1965
CO16299 | The Jemaah Islamiyah and its Afterlives
12 December, 2016
CO16249 | China-Singapore Ties: The Four Rs Behind the Unhappiness
06 October, 2016
CO16137 | Our Skynet Moment: Debating Morality of AI
07 June, 2016
CO16074 | The Curious Case of Wang Yuandongyi: Why Do Some Want to Fight With Anti-ISIS Groups?
06 April, 2016
CO15209 | IS ‘Trojan Horse’: Seeing Wood for the Trees?
07 October, 2015
CO15146 | The Year of the Caliphate: What Lies Ahead?
29 June, 2015
CO14215 | Biker Gang Chic and ‘Reverse Jihad’: The “Other” Foreign Fighters
03 November, 2014
- Jayakumar, Shashi, and Rahul Sagar, eds. The Big Ideas of Lee Kuan Yew. Singapore : Straits Times Press, 2014.
- Jayakumar, Shashi, ed., State, Society and National Security: Challenges and Opportunities in the 21st Century. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Co Pte Ltd, 2016.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "The Islamic State Looks East : The Growing Threat in Southeast Asia," CTC Sentinel, Vol. 10, Issue 2 (February 2017).
- Jayakumar, Shashi. “Remembering the legacy of Pramoedya Ananta Toer”, The Jakarta Post, April 3, 2017. Accessed May 2017. http://www.thejakartapost.com/life/2017/04/30/remembering-the-legacy-of-pramoedya-ananta-toer.html
- Jayakumar, Shashi and Ho Shu Huang. “Creating an ecosystem to win a non-conventional war”, TODAY, March 22, 2017. Accessed March 2017. http://www.todayonline.com/commentary/creating-ecosystem-win-non-conventional-war
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "Beware the slow-burn threats to Singapore " ChannelNewsAsia Commentary, December 31, 2016. Accessed January 2017. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/commentary-beware-the-slow-burn-threats-to-singapore/3403962.html
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "JI arrests: 15 years later" The Straits Times, December 9, 2016. Accessed December 13, 2016. http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/ji-arrests-15-years-later
- Jayakumar, Shashi and Benjamin Ang. “Smart Nation, but will we be secure?” The Straits Times, October 14, 2016. Accessed October 18, 2016. http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/smart-nation-but-will-we-be-secure
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "The Four Rs behind the Unhappiness" The Straits Times, October 6, 2016. Accessed October 7, 2016. http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/the-four-rs-behind-the-unhappiness
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "Morality and the future of robots" The Straits Times, June 6, 2016.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "Islamic State "Sleeper Cells" not the real fear around refugee exodus." TODAY, October 6, 2015.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "The Year of the Caliphate and what is to come." The Straits Times, June 27, 2015
Jayakumar, Shashi. "The Curious Case of Wang YuanDongyi." The Straits Times, April 02, 2016.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "What Singaporeans Should Do as Security Threats Evolve." TODAY, February 15, 2016.
- Jayakumar, Shashi. "'Reverse jihad': The Other Foreign Fighters'". The Straits Times, November 5, 2014. Accessed October 18, 2016. http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/reverse-jihad-the-other-foreign-fighters
Last updated on 26/10/2016