Following links control the content below
- Areas of Expertise
- Professional Activities
- RSIS Publications
- External Publications
- RSIS Modules Taught
Daniel Chua is Assistant Professor with the Military Studies Programme at the Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies (IDSS), RSIS. He is also the Deputy Head of Graduate Studies and Coordinator of the Asia Pacific Programme for Senior Military Officers (APPSMO), a summer programme for senior military officers from the Asia Pacific region and beyond. He is currently Course Director and lecturer for the Analysis of Defence and Security Policy (ADSP) course at the Goh Keng Swee Command and Staff College (GKSCSC), as well as the Undergraduate Professional Military Education and Training (UGPMET) course for junior SAF officers. Daniel also teaches a course on the International History of Asia in the Master of Science (Asian Studies) at RSIS.
Prior to his appointment at RSIS, Daniel taught courses in Asian Studies, Strategic Studies and Military History at the Australian National University, as well as in the Australian Defence Force Academy at UNSW, Canberra. His doctoral research at the ANU focused on the history of foreign relations between the United States and Singapore from 1965 to 1975, traversing fields such as International History, Asian Studies, Cold War Studies and International Relations.
Daniel’s research on the history of Singapore-US relations has been published in journal such as Asian Studies Review, the Australian Journal of Politics and History and The International History Review. His forthcoming book is titled US-Singapore Relations, 1965-1975: Strategic Non-alignment in the Cold War (NUS Press, 2017). He is currently working on a second book project about US strategic presence in Southeast Asia during the Cold War.
Areas of Expertise
- Singapore-United States Diplomatic History
- Cold War History
- Southeast Asian Diplomatic History
- Asia Pacific Security
- Strategic Studies
- Affiliate, SAF-NTU Academy
- Sub-editor, ANU Undergraduate Research Journal 2013
- Member, Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations (SHAFR)
- Member, Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA)
- Member, Malaysia and Singapore Society of Australia (MASSA)
CO17215 | Trump and Southeast Asia: US Should Pivot to ASEAN
15 November, 2017
CO16198 | Strategic Opportunities, Big Rewards: Singapore’s Defence Diplomacy through APPSMO
03 August, 2016
CO15179 | Fifty Years of Singapore-Australian Relations: An Enduring Strategic Partnership
24 August, 2015
CO15070 | US Envoy's Impressions of Lee Kuan Yew
27 March, 2015
CO15054 | Konfrontasi: Why It Still Matters to Singapore
16 March, 2015
CO14235 | The South China Sea Disputes: Singapore as an “Honest Broker”?
25 November, 2014
- Chua, Daniel and Eddie Lim. ASEAN 50: Regional Security Cooperation through Selected Documents. Singapore: World Scientific, 2017.
- Daniel Chua. US-Singapore Relations, 1965-1975: Strategic Non-Alignment in the Cold War. Singapore: NUS Press, 2017.
- Goh, Evelyn & Daniel Chua. Singapore Chronicles: Diplomacy. Singapore: Institute of Policy Studies and Straits Times Press, 2015.
- Lim, Eddie and Daniel Chua, "RSIS, Military Education and Defence Diplomacy", in Forward Engagement: RSIS as a Think Tank of International Studies and Security in the Asia-Pacific, edited by Alan Chong, 105-111. World Scientific, 2017.
- Chua, Daniel Wei Boon, "America's Role in the Five Power Defence Arrangements: Anglo-American Power Transition in South-East Asia, 1967–1971." The International History Review (2016): 1-23.
- Daniel Chua. “Becoming a Good Nixon Doctrine Country: The United States and Singapore during the Nixon Presidency,” Australian Journal of Politics and History, 60(4) December 2014, pp. 534-548.
- Daniel Chua. "Revisiting Lee Kuan Yew’s 1965-66 Anti-Americanism”, Asian Studies Review, 38(3), Sep 2014.
- Daniel Wei Boon Chua, ‘Obama’s Hollow Peace in the South China Sea’, The National Interest, April 18, 2016. Available at: http://nationalinterest.org/feature/obamas-hollow-peace-the-south-china-sea-15815
- Daniel Chua, “Australian Defence White Paper 2016: Positive signal to South-east Asia”, The Straits Times, Singapore, Opinion, 29 Feb 2016.
- Daniel Chua, “Singapore-US Defence Relations: Enhancing Security, Benefiting Region”, The Straits Times, Singapore, Opinion, 9 Dec 2015.
- Daniel Chua. “Managing voice, exit and loyalty in Singapore”, New Mandala, 1 February 2013, http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2013/02/01/managing-voice-exit-and-loyalty-in-singapore/.
RSIS Modules Taught
Last updated on 30/01/2017