Following links control the content below
Cameron Sumpter is an Associate Research Fellow at the Centre of Excellence for National Security (CENS). He holds an MA with first-class honours from the University of Auckland, where he wrote his thesis on prison-based disengagement strategies, focusing on the experiences of Indonesia. Prior to commencing his postgraduate study in New Zealand, he worked as an English teacher and journalist in Asia, Europe, Africa, and Latin America.
His research interests include processes of radicalisation and mobilisation, extremist organisations and intra-movement dynamics, disengagement and counter-radicalisation initiatives, the psychology of terrorism, and social movement theory.
Areas of Expertise
- Processes of Radicalisation
- CVE and Disengagement Initiatives
- Intra-movement Dynamics
Community Policing to Counter Violent Extremism: Evident Potential and Challenging Realities
22 September, 2016
CO17122 | Terror in Finsbury Park: Copycat Retaliation or Cumulative Radicalisation?
21 June, 2017
CO16267 | Preventing Violent Extremism in US: Updating the Strategy
28 October, 2016
CO16150 | Pedantic Semantics or Strategic Discourse? The Politics of Talking about Terrorism
17 June, 2016
CO16060 | To Segregate or Disperse? The Management of Imprisoned Extremists
21 March, 2016
CO15280 | Countering Violent Extremism in Australia: Is State Control Effective?
24 December, 2015
- Sumpter, Cameron. “Countering Violent Extremism in Indonesia: Priorities, Practice and the Role of Civil Society”, Journal for Deradicalization No. 11 (Summer 2017) pp. 112-147
- Sumpter, Cameron. “ Indonesian jihadism: increased intensity but familiar strategy”. The ASPI Strategist, 6 June 2017. Accessed December 2017. https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/indonesian-jihadism-increased-intensity-familiar-strategy/
- Sumpter, Cameron. "Reintegrating Extremist Prisoners in Indonesia: Easier Said Than Done". The Diplomat, 16 March 2017. Accessed May 2017. http://thediplomat.com/2017/03/reintegrating-extremist-prisoners-in-indonesia-easier-said-than-done/
- Sumpter, Cameron. "Modest project helping to disengage inmates from terrorism ". STUFF, 10 March 2017. Accessed May 2017. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/90254802/cameron-sumpter-modest-project-helping-to-disengage-inmates-from-terrorism
- Sumpter, Cameron. "Indonesia's de-radicalisation blueprint". Lowy Interpreter, 5 February 2016. Accessed June 2, 2016. http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/2016/02/05/Indonesias-de-radicalisation-blueprint.aspx
- Sumpter, Cameron. "Disillusioned defectors key to rebutting Islamic State rhetoric". Lowy Interpreter, 5 February 2016. Accessed June 2, 2016. http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/2016/05/23/Disillusioned-defectors-key-to-rebutting-Islamic-State-rhetoric.aspx
Last updated on 22/08/2017