Fourth NADI Meeting 2011
The Fourth NADI Meeting was held in at Sari Pan Pacific Hotel, Jakarta from 19 to 21 April 2011. The meeting was chaired by Brigadier General Junias L Tobing, Head of Center for Strategic Studies (CSS), Indonesian National Defence Force, and co-chaired by Colonel Dr A Yani Antariksa, Secretary of the CSS. Representatives of defence and security institutions of ASEAN countries attended the meeting. Admiral Agus Suhartono, Commander-in-Chief of the Indonesian National Defence Force received the heads of delegations and presented his welcome remarks.
The Agenda of the 4th NADI meeting covered the following topics.
- Opening speech by BG Junias L Tobing
- Welcome Remarks by Admiral Agus Suhartono, Commander-in-Chief, Indonesian National Defence Force
- Exchange of Views on Regional Security and Political Outlook and the Challenges Facing the Region, with lead speaker Ambassador Barry Desker
- Enhancing ASEAN Defence Cooperation: Coping with Emerging Security Issues in Southeast Asia, with lead speaker Dr Rizal Sukma
- ADMM-Plus Cooperation and Future Directions of their Cooperation, with lead speaker Mr Ahmad Ghazali Abu Hassan
- Update on NADI Activities and Future Activities by NADI Secretariat by Tan Seng Chye
- Exchange of Views on Emerging Challenges in the South China Sea, with lead speaker Prof Dr Juwono Sudarsono
- Consideration of NADI Chairman’s Report
- Closing Remarks
- Concluding Remarks
The 4 th NADI meeting agreed to four new Workshops to be conducted in 2011 and 2012 and they are as follows.
- Workshop on Aviation Security
- Workshop on Maritime Security in East Asia
- Workshop on Future Direction/Trajectory of ASEAN’s Cooperation with its Dialogue Partners particularly in ADMM-Plus and the expanded East Asian Summit
- Workshop on Security and Development
The earlier agreed Workshop on Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) will be hosted by Thailand in either June or August 2011 in Bangkok.
Cambodia has agreed to host the 5 th NADI meeting in Siem Reap, Cambodia in the third week of April 2012.
The NADI participants actively discussed the various agenda items following the presentations by the lead speakers.
The Chairman’s Report of the Third NADI meeting is attached.