New Chairman at RSIS
1. Former President of the Republic of Singapore, Dr Tony Tan Keng Yam, will take over as Chairman of the Board of Governors of the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS) from Mr Eddie Teo Chan Seng on 1 August 2018. The Board consists of Singaporean and international members.
2. Mr Teo has chaired the Board of Governors of RSIS, a think tank and professional graduate school of international studies at the Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, since January 2009. He has led the Board in setting academic and policy research objectives for the School, providing strategic directions for RSIS, instituting new programmes, reviewing on-going activities and approving its plans and budgets. Mr Teo has contributed much to the development and international standing of RSIS.
3. Dr Tan has been involved with RSIS from the very beginning of the School. On 30 July 1996, he launched the Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies (IDSS) — the predecessor of RSIS and now a prominent centre within the School — as then Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Defence. Over the years, Dr Tan provided strong support to advance the development of IDSS and RSIS. Every year, he would meet the RSIS Board to discuss relevant issues and ideas for the School’s research work.
4. Dr Tan served asthe Seventh President of the Republic of Singapore from 2011 to 2017. Presently, he is concurrently Special Adviser to GIC and the Honorary Patron and Distinguished Senior Fellow at the Singapore Management University.
5. Ambassador Ong Keng Yong, Executive Deputy Chairman of RSIS, has expressed the deep appreciation of all in RSIS for the excellent leadership provided by Mr Teo in his decade of service to the School. Ambassador Ong warmly welcomes Dr Tan to RSIS. He says, “All of us at the School look forward to Dr Tan’s continuing mentorship in the coming years”.
Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS)
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
30 July 2018
For separate news release on Dr Tony Tan being conferred Honorary Degree at NTU’s convocation ceremony, please click here.
Last updated on 30/07/2018