Co-ordinator of Military Transformations Programme
Mr. Richard A. Bitzinger
- B.A., Kalamazoo College
- M.A., Monterey Institute of International Studies
- Ph.D. program (all-but-dissertation), University of California, Los Angeles
- RMA and defence transformation
- Military modernization in the Asia-Pacific region
- Defence industries and armaments production
- Managing defence technologies
- Conventional arms trade
- Member, editorial board, Asian Politics & Policy, 2010-
- Member, editorial board, International Studies Perspectives, 2005-2010
- Visiting Fellow, Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation, UC San Diego, January 2010
- Senior Fellow, Atlantic Council of the United States , 1999-2000
- Finalist, U.S. Government Exceptional Intelligence Analyst Program , 1999-2000
- Member, Council on Foreign Relations Working Group on “The Arms Trade and the Transnationalisation of the Defence Industry,” 1998-2003
- “China’s Defence Technology and Industrial Base in a Regional Context: Comparing Chinese Defence Industrialization to Experiences of Other Asian-Pacific Nations,” Journal of Strategic Studies, Summer 2011.
- “Military Modernization in the Asia-Pacific: Assessing New Capabilities,” in Strategic Asia 2010-11: Asia's Rising Power and America's Continued Purpose (Ashley J. Tellis, Andrew Marble and Travis Tanner, eds.), National Bureau for Asian Research, 2010.
- “A New Arms Race? Explaining Recent Southeast Asian Military Acquisitions,” Contemporary Southeast Asia, April 2010.
- The Modern Defence Industry: Political, Economic and Technological Issues (editor), Praeger Security International, 2009.
- “Why War is Unlikely in Asia: Facing the Challenge from China” (with Barry Desker),Survival, November-December 2008.
- “Come the Revolution: Transforming the Asia-Pacific’s Militaries,” Naval War College Review, Fall 2005.
- Towards a Brave New Arms Industry? Adelphi Paper No. 356, International Institute for Strategic Studies/Oxford University Press ( London), 2003.
- “The Globalization of the Arms Industry – The Next Proliferation Challenge,” International Security, Fall 1994.
- “Arms to Go: Chinese Arms Sales to the Third World,” International Security, Fall 1992.
Mr. Richard A. Bitzinger
Office: S4 - B3C - 52
Phone: 6514 1904
U.S. defence transformation and implications for Asian-Pacific Security; The RMA in Asia; Future of defense industry reforms in China and India
The Revolution in Military Affairs; U.S. military modernisation and transformation; Chinese military modernisation; Defence industries in Asia, North America, and Europe; Proliferation of military and dual-use technologies